• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mail Rail @ The Postal Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I'm booked in Sept. One thing that is a bit confusing is that when you book you end up getting two bar code tickets with different numbers (I thought I had accidentally paid for two people) It is because the museum and the Mail Rail ride are at two different locations and you have a separate ticket scanned for each one.

kentman

No idea about the tickets, but the museum exhibits building is across the road and a just a bit up from the mail rail entrance - which was the mail rail depot.

Being a sponsor I had a preview ride and a walk down the Mount Pleasant tunnels last week. A most enjoyable time. The other tunnels and stations would be ideal for LT style Hidden London type tours, if they could solve the Heath and Safety issues.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
No idea about the tickets, but the museum exhibits building is across the road and a just a bit up from the mail rail entrance - which was the mail rail depot.

Being a sponsor I had a preview ride and a walk down the Mount Pleasant tunnels last week. A most enjoyable time. The other tunnels and stations would be ideal for LT style Hidden London type tours, if they could solve the Heath and Safety issues.

How hot was it down there?

kentman

I was comfortable in a short sleeve in the tunnels. By the looks of it new ventilation has been installed in the parts handed over to the museum. There were doors sealing off rail access to the rest.

Talking to the staff, the PO still have 'running rights' through so the points can still be switched etc. No live middle 3rd rail, all battery.

Attachments

• DSC00762.jpg
    DSC00762.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC00789.jpg
    DSC00789.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC00803.jpg
    DSC00803.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00811.jpg
    DSC00811.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC00820.jpg
    DSC00820.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 122

Blinder

I'm booked in Sept. One thing that is a bit confusing is that when you book you end up getting two bar code tickets with different numbers (I thought I had accidentally paid for two people) It is because the museum and the Mail Rail ride are at two different locations and you have a separate ticket scanned for each one.

Me too, but sorted with a quick phone call.

Looking forward to it, I did it (well visited Mt Pleasant platforms) back in 1972..

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

I believe that in one place the tunnel got severed by the construction of XRail, also some of the stations will be at current in-use Royal Mail sites

kentman

I believe that in one place the tunnel got severed by the construction of XRail, also some of the stations will be at current in-use Royal Mail sites

Given that Down St. LTM Hidden London tickets sell out on the release day at £85.50 + booking fee, there is a market for such tours. The Post Office Museum would quite like that I think.

simple simon

I'm going in September, although whilst I am delighted at the prospect of the Mail Rail ride I'd be even happier if this passenger working was on a railway that was still carrying mail - and / or other goods.

Simon

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

I was wondering about what happened to the rest of the line. Shame it can't be used for it's original purpose.

gazthomas

Established Member
I was a little disappointed when I went in November, specifically the sections in the platforms which felt a bit childish

muddythefish

On Moderation
Went on Rail Mail last weekend, enjoyable day and worth the money and the ride / history is quite well done but could be a bit better. Shame the ride isn't longer !

James H

westv

Established Member
I was lucky enough to enjoy a tour of it in the 70s when it was still operating.

Status
Not open for further replies.