• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mainline BR station on film clip shown on The Tube an Underground History ep1

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Hi at 18:51 mins into episide 1 there is a b & w clip of film of what appears to be a BR standard tank running tender first into an overall roofed large terminus on a curve. Does anyone know a) is it actually a London station and which one it is & b) what are the gangways hanging above both tracks visible used for. I wouls say the floor of them are approx 1.5 ft wide and are suspended every 2ft by a tie to a roof truss. Over to the wise old sages.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dggar

Hi at 18:51 mins into episide 1 there is a b & w clip of film of what appears to be a BR standard tank running tender first into an overall roofed large terminus on a curve. Does anyone know a) is it actually a London station and which one it is & b) what are the gangways hanging above both tracks visible used for. I wouls say the floor of them are approx 1.5 ft wide and are suspended every 2ft by a tie to a roof truss. Over to the wise old sages.....

It looked like Euston.

Last edited:

Wyvern

Established Member
Was it something like this?

capture.jpg

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Thats it. It doesn't look like any existing London station so the old Euston ( or the Windsor bit of Waterloo) are possible.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Definately the old arrivals shed at Euston. Shame they couldn't have re-erected it somewhere. Would have made a good garden centre.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Any ideas on those suspended catwalks above the approaching train and adjacent track? At a guess were they used to easily change/ maintain the old oil/acetylene lamps used in Victorian coaches? Cheers.

John Webb

Established Member
Any ideas on those suspended catwalks above the approaching train and adjacent track? At a guess were they used to easily change/ maintain the old oil/acetylene lamps used in Victorian coaches? Cheers.
Smoke deflectors, I believe, to stop steam and smoke rising straight up and coating the roof-lights with dirt.

dggar

The following pictures are taken from the book
"The Great British Railway Station EUSTON"
IBSN 1-871608-28-7

Sadly no longer in print

To me it certainly seems that the "suspended catwalks " are the to deflect the blast from the chimney and the safety valves.
Nothing to do with chaging oil lamps in the coaching stock.

Attachments

• Euston_1.jpg
    Euston_1.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Euston_2.jpg
    Euston_2.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Euston_3.jpg
    Euston_3.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Euston_4.jpg
    Euston_4.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 37

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Yes I must admit that pic of the Patriot shows it quite well. Deflectors make most sense but they do seem an odd shape (compared to ones I have seen in sheds) & judging from the Pat lifting off not that effective! Cheers for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.