• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major Problems Westbury - Bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
Big problems this evening between Westbury and Bath, due to a blown transformer wiping out the signalling. Repairs were rather long drawn out, with widespread delays and disruption throughout.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
What confused me was obviously these issues caused delays between Bath and Bristol aswell, yet replacement road transport was only operational as far as Bath (according to NRE anyway). Which meant passengers from say Keynsham had no option but to just wait (at an unmanned station, likely with very little information about what was going on).

HowardGWR

Established Member
What confused me was obviously these issues caused delays between Bath and Bristol aswell, yet replacement road transport was only operational as far as Bath (according to NRE anyway). Which meant passengers from say Keynsham had no option but to just wait (at an unmanned station, likely with very little information about what was going on).

There are service buses to Bristol via Keynsham every 15 minutes just opposite Bath station so could that be the reason?

Why is this thread here anyway?

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
There are service buses to Bristol via Keynsham every 15 minutes just opposite Bath station so could that be the reason?

So someone who has paid for a train ticket to travel should be forced to pay extra to get a bus because of delays while someone a couple of stops down the line affected by the same delay gets free rail replacement buses? Not really acceptable at all.

I do think First can do a lot better in regards to allowing train tickets to be used on the Bath to Bristol bus route in times of disruption though.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Cable cut through in the Limpley Stoke area by contractors. Diversions on Pompeys were in place via Thingley.

From what I've read, a HST also failed at Bath Spa, and the Southampton - Great Malvern today cut back to Worcester due to a 'train fault at Westbury', however my partner returned today from London just happened to be at Westbury at the time, apparently some passenger had overdosed with something or the other.

starrymarkb

Established Member
So someone who has paid for a train ticket to travel should be forced to pay extra to get a bus because of delays while someone a couple of stops down the line affected by the same delay gets free rail replacement buses? Not really acceptable at all.

I do think First can do a lot better in regards to allowing train tickets to be used on the Bath to Bristol bus route in times of disruption though.

Maybe they did accept rail tickets on the buses?

HowardGWR

Established Member
Maybe they did accept rail tickets on the buses?

That was my assumption.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Cable cut through in the Limpley Stoke area by contractors. Diversions on Pompeys were in place via Thingley.

From what I've read, a HST also failed at Bath Spa, and the Southampton - Great Malvern today cut back to Worcester due to a 'train fault at Westbury', however my partner returned today from London just happened to be at Westbury at the time, apparently some passenger had overdosed with something or the other.

How depressing that all sounds. how long will it be before the tide turns against increased use of rail? :(

DaveHarries

Established Member
Would have made a good SimSig TT if the data had been available. Just looked on RTT though and no route amendments shown for the Portsmouth services other than some being curtailed.

Dave

TEW

Established Member

Normally when there is disruption on FGW, ticket acceptance is agreed on any local First buses.

Tomnick

Established Member
Would have made a good SimSig TT if the data had been available. Just looked on RTT though and no route amendments shown for the Portsmouth services other than some being curtailed.

Dave
Probably wouldn't have had chance (or the need) to work out VSTP paths and enter them into the system. When we have unplanned diversions over our line, owing to a problem elsewhere, it's normally just a case of dealing with them as they come and making the best out of a bad job. I suppose the Simsig equivalent would be either abandoning the timetable and reinstating it when the train regained the booked route, or inserting --:-- timing points for the diversionary route, on an ad-hoc basis for each affected train (far more fun than having it all pre-planned for you!)

Status
Not open for further replies.