• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Man dies charging iPhone while in the bath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Did he dip the extension lead and charger in the bath (ie the full 240v) or just the low voltage end of the charging lead?

J-2739

Established Member
How does one even manage to get their cable from a socket to their phone in the bath? No way would there be a socket in the bathroom.

While this was a stupid act, it's rather a horrific way to die, and I have thoughts for his friends and family.

najaB

Veteran Member
People have been shockingly callous in this thread so far.
It's hard to have sympathy for someone who went out of their way to defeat the things that were specifically designed and engineered to keep them safe, especially when it was for something so trivial as charging their phone.

I have sympathy for the people who will be affected by his death though.

DaleCooper

Established Member
How does one even manage to get their cable from a socket to their phone in the bath? No way would there be a socket in the bathroom.

While this was a stupid act, it's rather a horrific way to die, and I have thoughts for his friends and family.

He used an extension lead and balanced the charger on his chest. That's why...

People have been shockingly callous in this thread so far.

...I make no apologies for being callous.

Darandio

Established Member
I have sympathy for the people who will be affected by his death though.

Indeed. However, this bit from the article intrigued me.

A coroner ruled his death was accidental and plans to send a report to Apple about taking action to prevent future deaths.

What exactly are they supposed to do?

Darandio

Established Member
There's very little they can do - other than add a warning "Caution: Do not use this product while in a bath, swimming pool or other body of water."

I agree, it's from the department of the bleeding obvious.

That is why it has me wondering why the coroner is taking such a step.

tony_mac

Established Member

najaB

Veteran Member
Ok, it's a little unclear, but it wasn't the mains lead in the water.
I doubt that it was due to the the phone dropping in the bath unless it was a fake charger. Genuine Apple devices have good isolation between the mains and DC sides of the charger.

DaleCooper

Established Member

Richard Bull, 32, is believed to have plugged the charger into an extension cord from the hallway and then rested it on his chest while using the phone.

He suffered severe burns on this chest, arm and hand when part of it touched the water.

That is from the Sun article you linked. The charger was on his chest and part of it touched the water and if you think it is only the mains lead itself that is a danger then stick to batteries.

tony_mac

Established Member
I doubt that it was due to the the phone dropping in the bath unless it was a fake charger. Genuine Apple devices have good isolation between the mains and DC sides of the charger.

The coroner is sending a report to Apple. Why do you think he is doing that?
(hint - coroners are generally not stupid people)

najaB

Veteran Member
The coroner is sending a report to Apple. Why do you think he is doing that? (hint - coroners are generally not stupid people)
I don't know, it's a very good question. But I say again - genuine Apple devices have good separation between the mains and DC sides of the charger.

It is a basic design requirement in order for them to be able to carry UL and CE markings, they would not be certified to carry those marks if it was possible to get a lethal shock from the DC side of the charger.

tony_mac

Established Member
I don't know, it's a very good question. But I say again - genuine Apple devices have good separation between the mains and DC sides of the charger.

It is a basic design requirement in order for them to be able to carry UL and CE markings, they would not be certified to carry those marks if it was possible to get a lethal shock from the DC side of the charger.

Perhaps it was a fake branded apple. Perhaps there was a fault in the charger. Perhaps there was a design change after certification.
Whatever it is, it's enough for an experienced coroner to think it is worth reporting.

(I think the notion that the charger was on his chest is a misinterpretation from reports of a 'device' on his chest. Other reports are clearer that it was the iphone itself.)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Although it's not the best thing to do obviously, I can understand how someone might think it's safe to have a low voltage cable plugged into your phone while you're watching something say, and have it on charge plugged into an extension lead on the floor. Obviously that's not a great idea and we probably all know that.
However it's quite a different scenario having an entire 240v extension lead resting on your chest with the phone charger plugged in to it, I think the phrase 'certain death' springs to mind.
The former scenario with an extension lead on the floor next to the bath although (I'll say it again) is a very silly thing to do, is the kind of thing I could imagine a naive young person (we've got a few of them in the house) to do by mistake.

broadgage

Darwin award, I am sorry to say. I feel sorry for those bereaved by this, but not for the deceased.

Reports seem a little confused as to exactly what got wet or was immersed in the water, but given the fatal result I strongly suspect that the mains voltage extension lead and/or the mains voltage charger got wet.

And as regards mains voltage sockets in bathrooms, astonishingly these are now permitted, most unwisely in my view, but definitely permitted subject to RCD protection and being a certain distance from the bath or shower.
Not of course relevant in this case as it is stated that an extension lead from outside the bathroom was used.

Status
Not open for further replies.