• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Man hit by train near Wrexham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Thoughts to the Victim(s) - the man & his family and Close Friends.

devon_metro

Established Member
Must be report these incidents? They are frequent occurrences on the railway and publicising them only goes to encourage others to do it if in that mindset.

mumrar

Established Member
Must be report these incidents? They are frequent occurrences on the railway and publicising them only goes to encourage others to do it if in that mindset.

Don't you think that most people have the intelligence to already know that a person+at least 70ton of train going over 30mph=almost certain death

Ibex

Yeah for those who were wondering what the unit was it was a 158 on 1D83 or something I believe. I did look up the exact unit number on Trust when it happened but I've now forgotten it.

dan_atki

Established Member
All the insensitive postings have been removed - please think twice before clicking 'Post'.

Greeny

Thoughts to the Victim(s) - the man & his family and Close Friends.

No offence meant to you transportphoto, I assure you. In respect of the mans familly etc I agree 100%. However, I've seen what such acts do to Train Drivers and my own opinion, frankly, is sod the victim.

Sorry.

G

TDK

Established Member
No offence meant to you transportphoto, I assure you. In respect of the mans familly etc I agree 100%. However, I've seen what such acts do to Train Drivers and my own opinion, frankly, is sod the victim.

Sorry.

G

Yet another post on a fatality with comments being made before the official report into the cause or details of the incident. Why do people jump to conclusions without knowing the facts?

Greeny

Don't think this was a suicide Greeny, just an accident.

Hello 142094, your point noted, understood, and fully accepted. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear - I did not say it was a suicide. Just that I had no sympathy whether it was suicide or accidental.

Yet another post on a fatality with comments being made before the official report into the cause or details of the incident

TDK, I expressed an opinion based on what I have seen at some 45+ fatalities - suicides and accidental deaths of trespassers and colleagues. So with all due respect,

1. How many dead bodies have you stood over ?.

and

2/. How many people have you hit whilst driving your train ?.

Why do people jump to conclusions without knowing the facts?

Well, the words pot, kettle, and black spring to mind here. Sorry if I am being a bit slow on the uptake here, but precisely to what conclusions have I jumped ?.

What is the point in having a language if people are unwilling, or unable to use it ?.

G

Last edited:

Established Member
Hello 142094, your point noted, understood, and fully accepted. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear - I did not say it was a suicide. Just that I had no sympathy whether it was suicide or accidental.

Point noted, and I agree I wouldn't have sympathy if it indeed turns out to be a suicide, but I may have sympathy if it turns out to be a tragic accident.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Yeah for those who were wondering what the unit was it was a 158 on 1D83 or something I believe. I did look up the exact unit number on Trust when it happened but I've now forgotten it.

158825 on 1G60

TDK

Established Member

TDK, I expressed an opinion based on what I have seen at some 45+ fatalities - suicides and accidental deaths of trespassers and colleagues. So with all due respect,

1. How many dead bodies have you stood over ?.

and

2/. How many people have you hit whilst driving your train ?.

Well, the words pot, kettle, and black spring to mind here. Sorry if I am being a bit slow on the uptake here, but precisely to what conclusions have I jumped ?.

What is the point in having a language if people are unwilling, or unable to use it ?.

G

Answer to question 1, the dead bodies I stood over were not recognisable as human, I have offered many drivers the chain of care and it is a lot more difficult for a driver to come to terms with a fatality if it is accidental rather than a suicide. You cannot possibly "sod the victim" if it was an accident, you would notlike it if I said "sod the victim" if a member of your family was run over by a car say.That was my point, I wasn't trying to undermine you and believ me I know the trauma a fatality causes to the familys of the victim and the driver and others involved.I myself have been affected to the stage where I have been reduced to tears.

Answer to Question 2. No I haven't had a fatality whilst driving a train

To answer you question "Sod the victim" is not a reasonable statement as no facts have yet been published.

Greeny

Answer to question 1, the dead bodies I stood over were not recognisable as human, I have offered many drivers the chain of care and it is a lot more difficult for a driver to come to terms with a fatality if it is accidental rather than a suicide.

No argument.

You cannot possibly "sod the victim" if it was an accident, you would notlike it if I said "sod the victim" if a member of your family was run over by a car say.That was my point, I wasn't trying to undermine you and believ me I know the trauma a fatality causes to the familys of the victim and the driver and others involved.

Oh, I’ve seen the trauma and suffering that Drivers and families go through - for 8 years I used to take the family of a 17 year old boy who was electrocuted on top of a train at Edge Hill back to the scene once a year whilst they laid a wreath and remembered him, and it was a very sad sight to see their grief, which never left them. I always used to feel sorry for them, and I would think to myself “what bloody harm have they (the family) done to anyone to deserve this ?”.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this aspect, TDK. Personally, I differentiate between somebody hit by a car and somebody hit by a train. This is because anybody can accidentally walk into the path of a car. To walk into the path of a train (accidentally or deliberately) they have to have made a deliberate, conscious decision to be somewhere that they had no right to be, particularly where 3rd rail or OLE is involved. Hence my attitude of no sympathy for such people. I knew that Railways were dangerous when I was six – my Mother gave me a terrific hiding for playing on a railway line and after that I didn’t do it again. If (which I very much doubt) this turns out to have been an accident in, so far as the victim fell from a platform, or went on the line to pull somebody clear of danger, then I will just have to eat the old brown stuff.

Apart from seven staff fatalities, I have only ever felt any sympathy for two ‘victims’; the first was an eight year old boy at Whiston in 1977 who was dragged along on the front of the train for over a mile, and the second was a 77 year old man, who was stone deaf and who had walked out of a Psychiatric Hospital for a stroll. He had no idea that railways were dangerous so was walking back to traffic in the 4ft in the Rainhill area in 1989.

I myself have been affected to the stage where I have been reduced to tears.

I could well imagine, I too have seen Drivers in some pretty bad states following fatalities, particularly where children were involved.

G

SWT Driver

The vast majority of the public dont care about the train driver, they think we are robots and should just get back in the cab and get them home, all they care about is themselves.
I have known drivers have a fatality and the thing which got to them the most was the passengers attitude towards them as if they did it deliberately so they wouldnt have to take the paxs home, selfish and ignorant. One driver I know never got back in the cab after one.

TDK

Established Member
The vast majority of the public dont care about the train driver, they think we are robots and should just get back in the cab and get them home, all they care about is themselves.
I have known drivers have a fatality and the thing which got to them the most was the passengers attitude towards them as if they did it deliberately so they wouldnt have to take the paxs home, selfish and ignorant. One driver I know never got back in the cab after one.

I have met 2 drivers who never drove a train again and one went to alcohol and lost his family so, yes, it does affect drivers in different ays. As for the passengers all they are interested in is getting to their destination.Some have compassion but not may.

the sniper

Established Member
Personally, I differentiate between somebody hit by a car and somebody hit by a train. This is because anybody can accidentally walk into the path of a car. To walk into the path of a train (accidentally or deliberately) they have to have made a deliberate, conscious decision to be somewhere that they had no right to be [...]

With this statement, aren't you omitting a major source of accidental deaths on the railway: Footpath crossings? I've seen numerous RAIB reports which show that people can die on these in truly unfortunate circumstances.

Greeny

With this statement, aren't you omitting a major source of accidental deaths on the railway: Footpath crossings? I've seen numerous RAIB reports which show that people can die on these in truly unfortunate circumstances.

Hello Sniper,

Your comment noted and accepted. In such situations though, a person on such a crossing is probably entitled to be there. Though saying that, I still find it hard to have any sympathy with them for one very good reason (good to me anyway, and I'm not claiming to be right, nor asking anybody to agree with me). As I have said before in a few places, when it comes to level crossing safety, the British public are bloody stupid. If they used such crossings properly (and sensibly) the vast majority of fatalities would never have taken place. I've attended four such fatals - one suicide and three accidents. Of the latter, the 'victim' has just walked onto the crossing without looking looking or asking and been hit.

Again, my sympathy is first with the Driver, then the families, then those who have to scrape it up.

Anyhow, thanks for the comment.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.