• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink master thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

umontu

I'm thinking of doing a Metrolink bashing when the new extentions open in "2011 spring", obviously this isn't all of the new routes I realise but, when will these be open any more precise date than spring? It is April after all, Spring ends in June (to me) so it can't be far off.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Even those of us with ears close to the ground dont really know, The first phase of the South Manchester line to St Werburghs seems to be finished and they ran some test trams a couple of months ago since its been mothballed, Oldham line is mostly complete as far as Oldham but with some gaps without track and hasnt seen any testing so far. The East Manchester line is mostly finished to Man City's ground and wires have been energised where they are completed but again there is small gaps in track and no testing has occured.

Earliest date mentioned (though seems implausible on construction progress and lack of testing) is May 3rd, some when in June may be more realistic.

umontu

Thanks for your response, to a non common observer this sounds like they plan to open all the routes at the same time, I wonder if that's the case, might be easier on updating ticket machines but I doubt it would be easy on the infrastructure.
Then again I'm no expert.

Thanks once again though :D

WestCoast

Established Member
No because aren't Victoria - Central Park and the St Werburghs Road (Chorlton) sections supposed to open first?

Then followed by the full Oldham line in the Autumn (will this really be ready by then?)

Class377/5

Established Member
Thanks for your response, to a non common observer this sounds like they plan to open all the routes at the same time, I wonder if that's the case, might be easier on updating ticket machines but I doubt it would be easy on the infrastructure.
Then again I'm no expert.

Thanks once again though :D

Its always best to open abit at a time. That well you can build up reilability and get the intrastructure to settle in and you get confident as you move in. Tho have money coming in as sections slowly open isn't a bad idea.

We're all expert on something for everything else we ask :D

umontu

No because aren't Victoria - Central Park and the St Werburghs Road (Chorlton) sections supposed to open first?

Then followed by the full Oldham line in the Autumn (will this really be ready by then?)
Well I was only speculating and not using any facts ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Its always best to open abit at a time. That well you can build up reilability and get the intrastructure to settle in...
Aye I thought so.

WestCoast

Established Member
Well I was only speculating and not using any facts

Well you've got to speculate to accumulate;)

I am really looking forward to Metrolink extensions opening - I was looking at the construction photos on the SkyscraperCity forum, they are certainly making progress. It's great to finally see a large transport project outside London taking shape!

Central Park Interchange is very impressive I must say - similar in extravagance to the Jubilee Line extension stations!

umontu

Well you've got to speculate to accumulate;)

I am really looking forward to Metrolink extensions opening - I was looking at the construction photos on the SkyscraperCity forum, they are certainly making progress. It's great to finally see a large transport project outside London taking shape!

Central Park Interchange is very impressive I must say - similar in extravagance to the Jubilee Line extension stations!

Now Central Park looks awesome. :D

Didn't know about Skyscrapercity, thanks for that.

I'm quite looking forward to it too, hense trying to do the whole network when the new sections open.

Having only used Metrolink for the first time this year I am quite impressed and the racist/sexist passenger at Eccles the other day made it interesting (n.b. I think he misunderstood timetables and saw the driver was a woman, then somehow assumed she was foreign.)

WestCoast

Established Member
Having only used Metrolink for the first time this year I am quite impressed

Well, the metrolink to me always used to look a bit 'second-rate'. However, since the new trams have started arriving and the new branding introduced, along with the extensions it seems to be becoming a much better system.

northernrail

as long as school dose'nt get in the way im going to be going to the opening of each section of each line and have been hoping to do some Metrolink bashing of the new lines, i did some bashing last year but the 3 lines did'nt take long:|

tbtc

Veteran Member
Its always best to open abit at a time. That well you can build up reilability and get the intrastructure to settle in and you get confident as you move in. Tho have money coming in as sections slowly open isn't a bad idea

Agreed. And, for similar reasons they should have closed the old line in stages too (e.g. kept the Rochdale - Oldham section for a couple of years whilst the Oldham - Manchester section was converted to tram, thus ensuring Oldham retained a direct link to Manchester.

I don't understand why they needed to close the whole lot at once. Still, look forward to riding on the "new" sections of Tram

WatcherZero

Established Member
Speak of the devil, today for the first time testing on the oldham line near Queens Road depot. Looks like side-by-side clearance testing.

DSC01175.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01178.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

umontu

Thanks for them WatcherZero, looks like they're getting on with it then.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder if a number of people are interested in this if it should be a forum meet on the day the new lines open, any opinions?

WatcherZero

Established Member
TBH on past practise they might soft launch services at short notice without announcing an official opening date beforehand.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I thought it would be worth reopening this thread so forum members could see how the passage of time has affected their aspirations regarding seeing newly opened sections. Matters have not been kind in this respect.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
I thought it would be worth reopening this thread so forum members could see how the passage of time has affected their aspirations regarding seeing newly opened sections. Matters have not been kind in this respect.

You mean the MediaCityUK one stop that opened?

The Chorlton line still hasn't opened (in line with my predictions) but testing has started this week. However no testing yet on the Central park section means we are still awhile off opening.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I was trying to say that quite a long period had elapsed since the thread went quiet, which at that time was to bring forward "Spring 2011" openings that were supposed to happen, but have not done so far. I did say "Matters have not been kind in this respect". I thought that people may have wanted to express any views on current matters on these "delayed" line openings.

northernrail

I wonder if a number of people are interested in this if it should be a forum meet on the day the new lines open, any opinions?

i like it.

SML isn't far off opening, Central Park can't be far off now but EML has a bit to go yet.

What happened with 3014, didn't it go on the mainline even tho it wasn't fitted with the new signalling system (ATS i think its called)???

WatcherZero

Established Member
You mean 3013? When 3001 and 3002 were both out of commission they took the signalling equipment out of 3001 and retrofitted it into 3013. I think 3001 had another set fitted while it was in Vienna for repairs.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
SML isn't far off opening, Central Park can't be far off now but EML has a bit to go yet.

I think for the sake of people from outside the Greater Manchester area, who follow Metrolink current extension works, that we should use the full line names and full station names in our postings which will make it easier for them to know which is being referred to.

Class377/5

Established Member
The South Manchester line to St. Werburgh's Road via Firswood and Chorlton opened this morning.

So first proper line in 11 years to open on the Metrolink.

Established Member
Had a ride on 3015 last week which was out on the Bury/Altrincham lines. Apparently 3016-3020 are having the work done to enable them to come out.

Established Member
Any reason why Chorlton has SIX ticket machines on the Manchester platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.