• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink master thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

familyguy99

With regard to the land occupied by the existing Manchester Metrolink system between Freehold and the current temporary stop at Oldham Mumps, has anyone heard to what use this may be put to when the new line through Oldham Town Centre is up and running, as it has been in railway usage since those long and far-off days since that route came into being. Have Oldham Council made their views known ?

^^ Is was in Oldham Advertiser last week that they what to build new supermarket with tram line is now, as for tunnel they probably just brick it up as they can't knock it down for start.

Supermarket hope to revive Alexandra Retail Park after food and drink ban lifted

A decaying and nearly empty shops park could finally be on the up after years of neglect.

A 26-year-old condition banning the sale of food or drink at Alexandra Retail Park has been lifted in a bid to make it thrive.

It is hoped the move will attract a supermarket to the site which now stands almost entirely derelict.

Planning chiefs have agreed to allow two new units – one 3,000 sq metre supermarket and a 1,000 sq metre food discounter – to trade.

A plan for a new separate unit to be built on part of the car park has also been submitted.

Coun Dave Hibbert, cabinet member for regeneration, said: “We are always happy to listen to developers with proposals that will bring such a high profile part of the town back into use.

“Once the temporary Metrolink line becomes defunct it will open the site up even further and make it much more attractive to potential developers.

More on that story can be found on link.

http://menmedia.co.uk/oldhamadverti...a-retail-park-after-food-and-drink-ban-lifted

high camera

Elevated photograph taken today. I would like to try and get a shot of the place with more trams at home, any idea what the best day / time is. Not averse to a bit of night photography :D

i-qmj6KTg-L.jpg

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A most remarkably good view of the storage siding capacity of this new depot.

Just an idle thought....Queens Road depot has had its staff halt, soon to be incorporated into the new Quuens Road stop, so when the lines to both East Didsbury and Manchester Airport will be fully operational, will such a facility be provided at this new depot ?

Last edited:

Established Member
The 'dry run' of the new East Manchester Line's Etihad Campus station was done today to pass the station off as safe, and identify any issues a large crowd would cause at the new stop :)

martin2345uk

Established Member
A most remarkably good view of the storage siding capacity of this new depot.

Just an idle thought....Queens Road depot has had its staff halt, soon to be incorporated into the new Quuens Road stop, so when the lines to both East Didsbury and Manchester Airport will be fully operational, will such a facility be provided at this new depot ?

Hi Paul, I don't believe so, because the Old Trafford stop effectively carries out this function, being right by the entrance to the depot.

Best regards

dfurn

I note that the Metrolink line between Manchester and Droylsden will open on 11th February but BBC News explains that there will be "free travel to local people for three days ahead of the official launch". As it happening I'll be in Manchester on 10th February. I suppose it's a bit early to ask but does anyone know if there will be service on the 10th and if there will be anything special going on at any of the stations on those day? My son likes balloons. And trams.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-20632140

familyguy99

I note that the Metrolink line between Manchester and Droylsden will open on 11th February but BBC News explains that there will be "free travel to local people for three days ahead of the official launch". As it happening I'll be in Manchester on 10th February. I suppose it's a bit early to ask but does anyone know if there will be service on the 10th and if there will be anything special going on at any of the stations on those day? My son likes balloons. And trams.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-20632140

^^ Do u live in Droylsden area or in Tameside area? If not then u will't be allowed travel on EML until 11th Feb as is only free travel to them lot, I don't think they did anything special when it open as like when line open to Chorlton and Oldham, they didn't did anything special when that opened so can't seeing them doing anything for Droylsden line.

Here some picture that I took on Thursday on EML where I saw 3001 and 3014 tram on test.

Ticket machines are in on all EML stops and here are two of them at Droylsden and Edge Lane stop

Ticket Machine at Droylsden stop

Ticket Machines at Edge Lane stop

3001 tram on test near Holt Town stop

Metrolink 3001 tram on test

Metrolink 3001 tram heading into Holt Town Stop

Metrolink 3001 going into Holt Town stop

Looking at Holt Town Stop

Tram near Velopark stop (outside Eastland ASDA)

Metrolink 3014 tram on test

Metrolink 3014 tram near Velopark stop

looking at Velopark Metrolink stop

Trams park up outside Piccadilly stop

Two Metrolink waiting for test run

Two trams park up near Piccadilly stop

Finally tram on Ashton New Road

Metrolink tram on Ashton New Road

^^ Not best picture I know.

I took more picture of EML on Thursday which u can see them on my Flickr homepage

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/

gnolife

Established Member
Does anyone feel that the new Queens Road stop will be more useful in terms of serving a wider area of passenger usage than the existing Woodlands Road stop ?

To be quite honest, no. I think Abraham Moss and Monsall pretty much provide all the coverage the tram needs around there. The only potential market is from Cheetham Hill, and that's got the 135 every few minutes serving pretty much the entire route.

dfurn

^^ Do u live in Droylsden area or in Tameside area? If not then u will't be allowed travel on EML until 11th Feb as is only free travel to them lot, I don't think they did anything special when it open as like when line open to Chorlton and Oldham, they didn't did anything special when that opened so can't seeing them doing anything for Droylsden line.

Wow nice photos familyguy.

Yes what are they planning on doing to restrict access to local people? Asking all passengers for a copy of their council tax bill?

PR1Berske

Established Member
I understand a letter/welcome pack thing will be sent to residents, which will have something within it they will present to travel.

dfurn

Oh yeah:

As previously announced, residents living next to the route from Manchester to Droylsden will be able to use the new line for free over the three days leading up to the launch – Friday 8 February to Sunday 10 February – on production of a special invitation. Households in the catchment areas agreed with Manchester City Council and Tameside Council will be sent their invitations through the post in the coming days.

from http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_centre/Pages/News.aspx?articleId=151

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

gnolife

Established Member
I think that they've extended the wrong service here - I think it should have been the Altrincham - Piccadilly that got the extension to Droylsden, because if something should go wrong on the Droylsden line (lets say a car crashes on Ashton New Road), the entire Piccadilly Station - Victoria service (which you get a pretty good number of people doing) is stuffed (without changing Piccadilly Gdns -> Market St or at St Peter's Square).

familyguy99

martin2345uk

Established Member
Do you think the usual SSC supporters club will be out in force to mark the occasion....:D

I think I'm getting too old for the early morning malarkey of being on the first tram Paul!

5am on a Friday, I don't think so :)

I will however take a trip on Monday, i.e. the first fare-paying passenger day of service. The East Manchester Line is by far the most varied of the lines currently in existence :)

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I think that they've extended the wrong service here - I think it should have been the Altrincham - Piccadilly that got the extension to Droylsden, because if something should go wrong on the Droylsden line (lets say a car crashes on Ashton New Road), the entire Piccadilly Station - Victoria service (which you get a pretty good number of people doing) is stuffed (without changing Piccadilly Gdns -> Market St or at St Peter's Square).

I would have said what is at present the Media City to Piccadilly service should have been extended. Being the shortest service timing problems should occur less and it would also given a direct link between one of the biggest new accommodation developments in New Islington and one of the biggest new employment developments in Media City. A direct link seems to add up to me.

radamfi

Established Member
I would have said what is at present the Media City to Piccadilly service should have been extended. Being the shortest service timing problems should occur less and it would also given a direct link between one of the biggest new accommodation developments in New Islington and one of the biggest new employment developments in Media City. A direct link seems to add up to me.

But the MediaCityUK line will eventually become a shuttle to Cornbrook. MediaCityUK trams only go to Piccadilly at the moment because the siding at Cornbrook is not yet in operation. So the choice has to be between Bury, Altrincham and Eccles.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

To be honest, the Piccadilly - Victoria connection is not considered important these days. We had a thread about this recently. Personally, I always get the first tram and, if necessary, walk between Market Street and Piccadilly Gardens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.