• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink master thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Depends do you count that Market Street used to be two unidirectional stops called Market Street and High Street and they were merged into Market Street?

Eagle

Established Member
Is this the first "closure" on a UK light rail network since the "first generation" trams were abandoned fifty(ish) years ago?

High Street Metrolink station was closed in 1998 (it was originally a single platform of which Market Street was the other half; it closed when a second platform opened at Market Street).

You could also count the replacement of the elevated stations at Mudchute and Island Gardens with underground ones when the DLR was extended south of the river. And going further back the replacement of Merkland Street on the Glasgow Subway with Partick interchange.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Weren't there closures of several stops on the Blackpool tramway in the last few years, too?

Blackpool Transport were eventually prevailed upon to publish a list of all the stops that are now served by the reopened Blackpool Tramway system, which was subsequently amended to correct the wrong information on two stops that was in the originally-intended list.

There is now a Blackpool Tramway "master thread" on this particular "Other Public Transport" forum, to cover postings of any aspect.

telstarbox

Established Member
Peak return: £8.20 NR, £6.70 is current highest Metrolink fare
Off-peak return: £4.10 NR, £4.90 is current highest Metrolink fare.

There is only 1 NR train per hour to Altrincham as well.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
How will the fares compare ?

Peak return: £8.20 NR, £6.70 is current highest Metrolink fare
Off-peak return: £4.10 NR, £4.90 is current highest Metrolink fare.

There is only 1 NR train per hour to Altrincham as well.

More of a cost saving applies if your journey is something like Altrincham to Leeds return. Using heavy rail all the way you only pay a maximum of £2.70 extra* for the connecting Altrincham-Manchester train over the Manchester-Leeds fare, if you use Metrolink to get to Manchester it's up to £6.20 extra.

* Less at off-peak times or if you're a railcard holder.

Just went on Metrolink's website to check and it says all trams to Altrincham are currently suspended due to a points failure!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I imagine they overestimated how long it would take in the hope of avoiding announcing any delays to the extension, as has happened with the previous extensions.

Last edited by a moderator:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Network Rail points failure at Navigation Road.

If Network Rail are responsible for the track still it might explain why that bit hasn't been changed to the light rail type of track like much of the Altrincham line has.

Who's actually responsible for the OHEs between Timperley and Altrincham? I once experienced a delay to a Northern Rail service because engineers were working on the electrics in the Navigation Road area after they had come down.

snowball

Established Member
I think it's been stated on SSC that Metrolink look after the OHLE, whilst Network Rail looks after all the track, both on the two-single-lines section and south to Altrincham. That seems sensible.

Any work to either track or OHLE in that area presumably requires coordination between both bodies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
FWIW I walked from Altrincham to Navigation Road about 1330 yesterday, the double Bury trams were turning back there and the Piccadilly singles at Timperley. It all seemed to be working rather better than it does when Altrincham is open!

northwichcat

Veteran Member
FWIW I walked from Altrincham to Navigation Road about 1330 yesterday, the double Bury trams were turning back there and the Piccadilly singles at Timperley. It all seemed to be working rather better than it does when Altrincham is open!

It doesn't really work that well with single line sections for both Network Rail and Metrolink in the Navigation Road area.

I wonder if they've ever considered a new track from Timperley to Altrincham either on the road or in parallel to a road or a combination of the two.

familyguy99

Two things will happen on Metrolink system tomorrow (17th May) ghost service will started running on Didsbury line and Mosley Street will closed after last tram leave station at 00.51am (well Saturday)

Also U can now pick up book called "Metrolink - Oldham to Chorlton with Oldham Loop line" in Ian Allan book shop for £15 but I think soon u can pick up from any book shop.

Metrolink book

Greybeard33

Established Member
If Network Rail are responsible for the track still it might explain why that bit hasn't been changed to the light rail type of track like much of the Altrincham line has.
According to insiders on the SSC forums, the standard flat-bottomed rail profile used by Metrolink on ballasted track for renewals and new lines is CEN 56E1, the same as used by NR, not lightweight tram rail. However, the Metrolink-owned track between Manchester and Timperley was renewed in 2007, whereas I think the NR-owned track between Timperley and Altrincham is older. The Inbound (bidirectional) line between Altrincham and Navigation Road uses jointed rail, which gives a particularly rough ride.
Who's actually responsible for the OHEs between Timperley and Altrincham? I once experienced a delay to a Northern Rail service because engineers were working on the electrics in the Navigation Road area after they had come down.
I think you may be referring an incident in 2007 involving the newly-replaced OHLE, which temporarily disrupted Northern rail services through Navigation Road. As I recall Metrolink had to terminate at Timperley for a couple of weeks afterwards - the repairs took a long time because NR only allowed the Metrolink contractors to have short possessions so as not to further disrupt heavy rail services on the Mid-Cheshire line.
It doesn't really work that well with single line sections for both Network Rail and Metrolink in the Navigation Road area.

I wonder if they've ever considered a new track from Timperley to Altrincham either on the road or in parallel to a road or a combination of the two.
For the last few years I think TfGM's focus has been on building the new lines, not improving the original ones. On the Oldham and Rochdale line, three more single line sections have been introduced at Newton Heath, between Newbold and Rochdale Railway Station and in Rochdale town centre, for similar cost-saving reasons. During the rebuilding of Victoria Station, Metrolink will be reduced to a single line through the station area for several months, which will require curtailment of some services on the Bury line.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I took a trip out to Etihad Stadium yesterday. The timetable appears to have two out of three trams terminating at Piccadilly in quick succession (I think these are the Eccles and the MediaCity with the Bury running through to Droylsden). As far as I could tell only one of these was turning back at Piccadilly with the other running out of service to the Etihad/Velodrome turnback.

At least two road vehicle incursions in the last few days, one outside the Midland Hotel and one from Holt Town getting most of the way to Etihad.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I took a trip out to Etihad Stadium yesterday. The timetable appears to have two out of three trams terminating at Piccadilly in quick succession (I think these are the Eccles and the MediaCity with the Bury running through to Droylsden). As far as I could tell only one of these was turning back at Piccadilly with the other running out of service to the Etihad/Velodrome turnback.

Most of the time, four trams arrive outbound at Piccadilly per 12 minute cycle: ex-Altrincham, ex-Eccles, ex-MediaCity and ex-Bury. The first two terminate there and reverse in the Sheffield Street turnback. The MediaCity service continues 'ECS' to the turnback at Velopark, last I checked they do this in the Velopark outbound platform. The Bury services, of course, run in service through to Droylsden.

Hope I've got that right... might've made a mistake? Looks like you're pretty much there, but missed the Pic-Alts?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Its partly that the Sheffield Street turnback isnt giving them the capacity they expected I think but also the Media City trams were supposed to turn back at Cornbrook not Piccadilly so theres currently a third more trams terminating at Piccadilly than planned. The under construction third platform at Victoria should give them better city centre terminal capacity.

They are also considering a third platform at Deansgate Castlefield as part of 2CC but its not been approved yet and may rely on office/residential tower development around Manchester Central for funding.

Manchester77

Established Member
Yeah by now TMS was supposed to be operating like the entire network allowing Medias to turn at Cornbrook.

In future it'd be good if Cornbrook - St Peters Square could be four tracked. There's enough space on the viaduct (it used to be four track into manchester central) and they could restore the other birdcage viaduct. It'd take some of the car parking away at central and we'd need some kind of new ramp.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes forgot the Altrincham, I couldn't hang around to watch the whole cycle so that may be why I missed that one. As that must be turning round successfully at Sheffield Street, this shows it can handle two trams in 12min so as suggested this dead running should finish once the Cornbrook turnback is commissioned.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
According to insiders on the SSC forums, the standard flat-bottomed rail profile used by Metrolink on ballasted track for renewals and new lines is CEN 56E1, the same as used by NR, not lightweight tram rail.

What I meant by light rail track is on the sections that have been relaid on the Altrincham and Bury lines they've done away with the traditional sleepers so I imagine that it would mean the tracks wouldn't still be suitable for freight that could have previously run on it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ive always argued for a bridge so they could close the two level crossings.

I think the problem with trams is more the fact that an Altrincham bound tram usually gets held before the single track section through Navigation Road to allow a Manchester bound tram through first. The wait can be anything for 30 seconds to around 4 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.