• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink master thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Supermarkets like Morrisons need people visiting by car with a big boot. How much stuff could you carry on a tram? Two bags? No wonder they're losing money

Presumably that's why Supermarkets are moving out of the "top up" shop market and selling all of their little stores to concentrate only on cars with big boots?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The nearest Asda entrance has been closed since a long time before Metrolink started running, and I don't think it has anything to do with the tram. When I visited a couple of years ago they were using the area inside it as a cafe and I suppose they didn't want people wandering in and out.

It's a bit of an "up yours" to make people arriving on foot or by tram walk round three sides of the building to get inside. But are the various Morrisons any better?

Starmill

Veteran Member
For the most part, the entrance to the Morrisons supermarkets is not a long walk from the tram stop. But then, its not as if there is a closer entrance that they are keeping closed for one reason or another! That's what gets people about this, and I am inclined to agree with them. I have emailed them about it and I think at least two other people have too, but they probably just forward the 'comments' to an impotent store manager. And as for walking through the cafe, yeah, that's not brilliant, but I think it does happen at a number of other locations (Altrincham's Tesco-on-stilts perhaps?).

However, Watcher does make a very interesting point about the safety of the crossing. I suppose though, in the long term, people are still going to use this crossing, and indeed many currently do.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I can't see that the safety of the crossing is an issue here. The one outside the Asda is very wide so people cross in all directions but as the tramway is making a tight turn the trams are also very slow. Unless you are referring to the narrower crossing by the stop, which is pretty much identical to the crossings at numerous other stops.

I was involved in the safety assessment of Metrolink and was present at meetings that reviewed every crossing on Phase 3 bar one or two. If they had been as unsatisfactory as the one at Croydon then I can't see that the designs would have been allowed to go ahead.

It seems here that Asda or their architects have actually tried to provide a more people-friendly store, unlike most supermarkets where the car park is between the street and the entrance. This has been undone by someone, possibly a local manager, who is probably an inveterate Clarkson and doesn't understand those who for whatever reason don't use a car. Or just doesn't care.

Greybeard33

Established Member
For the most part, the entrance to the Morrisons supermarkets is not a long walk from the tram stop. But then, its not as if there is a closer entrance that they are keeping closed for one reason or another! That's what gets people about this, and I am inclined to agree with them. I have emailed them about it and I think at least two other people have too, but they probably just forward the 'comments' to an impotent store manager. And as for walking through the cafe, yeah, that's not brilliant, but I think it does happen at a number of other locations (Altrincham's Tesco-on-stilts perhaps?)
Correct. Tesco's has a high level pedestrian entrance, through the cafe, from Moss Lane and Denmark Street, avoiding the travelator ramps from the car park. This provides convenient pedestrian access from Altrincham Interchange (except that the direct footpath between the Interchange and Moss Lane is currently blocked by building work.)

Cafe users do not seem to mind.

johnnychips

Established Member
Presumably that's why Supermarkets are moving out of the "top up" shop market and selling all of their little stores to concentrate only on cars with big boots?

I should have said 'Big superstores'. Tesco Extras, One Stops and their Sainsburys equivalent are aimed at a different market. Now, if you could take your supermarket trolley on the tram, which you could as the doors are level with the platform...

radamfi

Established Member
Any reason for the slow running between Rochdale and Shaw? I measure the speed whenever I use it and it usually seems to go around 25 mph despite the line speed being 50 mph most of the way. I have only experienced 50 mph once or twice on that section.

Manchester77

Established Member
It's still new so drivers will tend to go slower to ensure that they don't miss stops etc. in a few months I'd imagin line speed will be upped

snowball

Established Member
For the present the single line section north of Newbold effectively includes the terminus. Going north there's no point in arriving at Newbold before the tram ahead of you has reached the terminus, completed its wait there, started its return journey and emerged from the single line heading south.

Midlandman

The narrow platform at Chorlton is because, when the supermarket was opened (as a Safeway) it took all the available land on the station site, along with light industrial units on the old goods yard. All that was left of rail infrastructure was a single track mostly used by Freightliners to/from Old Trafford. (And not many of them. In 16 years of living nearby, I doubt if I actually saw more than a couple of dozen (I did hear more of course)

I do remember wondering, when the Metro proposals were first published, if they'd have to 'do a Newton Heath' to fit a station in.

radamfi

Established Member
For the present the single line section north of Newbold effectively includes the terminus. Going north there's no point in arriving at Newbold before the tram ahead of you has reached the terminus, completed its wait there, started its return journey and emerged from the single line heading south.

That would explain slow running towards Rochdale, but not in the other direction.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The narrow platform at Chorlton is because, when the supermarket was opened (as a Safeway) it took all the available land on the station site, along with light industrial units on the old goods yard. All that was left of rail infrastructure was a single track mostly used by Freightliners to/from Old Trafford. (And not many of them. In 16 years of living nearby, I doubt if I actually saw more than a couple of dozen (I did hear more of course)

I do remember wondering, when the Metro proposals were first published, if they'd have to 'do a Newton Heath' to fit a station in.

I've an idea the original plan was to have the stop further down the line, but I can't be certain and I don't know why it might have been moved.

If Metrolink ever gets to Cheadle Heath they might have the same problem there.

Manchester77

Established Member
Hopefully freels right and it does go live tomorrow. If so pretty much the entire SWR-RRS will have PIDs baring a couple of stops!!

Starmill

Veteran Member
If there is life in them tomorrow any time from 07:40 I shall endeavour to update.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No visible change @ Piccadilly...

familyguy99

Yesterday I notice they were starting putting overhead poles in, in Werneth and Westwood area for Oldham 3B line.

Here are some picture of overhead poles put in (I now some of us will already seen this on SCC thread)

looking at new Overhead poles

Metrolink line near West Street (Oldham)

Metrolink line running through Westwood Business Park

truck for Overhead poles

And new Westwood Metrolink stop

Westwood Metrolink stop

Also someone on SCC thread have mention that they might be putting ticket machines in at Withington stop on Didsbury line, if so then it can't be long until Didsbury line opens as that last thing they put in before lines opens. :D

high camera

Metrolink%20depot%201-L.jpg

Starmill

Veteran Member

rebmcr

Established Member
Driver friend said:
They're doing more testing and I have my simulator training today. I still don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was open before the end of the month now.

↑ As of this morning.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's the 'pretend' M5000. :) People often text me or send me messages saying they've seen a new tram coupled to an old one - is this normal? I'm usually just like, yeah, its 1003.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
City Centre PIDs people!!!

familyguy99

Mosley Street stop to close from the start of services on Saturday 18 May.

Real-time tram information for city centre passengers

Metrolink passengers now have access to real-time service information at city centre stops, keeping them right up to speed with when the next tram will arrive.

New displays have been installed at the Shudehill, Market Street, Piccadilly Gardens, Piccadilly station, St Peter’s Square and Deansgate-Castlefield stops following the roll-out of a new tram management system through the city centre.

They show when the next tram will arrive (and its destination) as well as when the next two trams are due, and will also be used to provide other passenger information, such as during special events or disruption to services.

Their arrival means everything is now in place for the Mosley Street stop to close from the start of services on Saturday 18 May, in a long-planned move that will improve journey times, reliability and capacity on the network.

Councillor Andrew Fender, Chair of the Transport for Greater Manchester Committee, said: “We know that passengers want to be kept informed at all times and providing real-time information on when their next tram will arrive is crucial to that.

“In order to provide that, we’ve had to change the way the network operates behind the scenes. That’s been a massive challenge, especially on a ‘live’ network, but we are now starting to see the fruits of that labour through these new displays.

“The new tram management system is being rolled out in phases and once that process is complete, passengers across the network will benefit from this kind of information. In the future, the aim is to provide this at their fingertips too: on smartphones and tablets.

“I am sure the information these displays provide will be of great benefit as people make their way around the network, but this is just one of the many passenger-focused benefits being provided by the expansion programme.

“The new tram management system will enable us to run more trams, more frequently and in more effective ways than before, particularly when the network is at its busiest or in response to any disruption.

“It’s a significant step forward in our journey to providing a truly customer-focused network.”

Mosley Street

Mosley Street is the first stop where all Altrincham-bound services – which head from either Bury (via Market Street) or Piccadilly (via Piccadilly Gardens) – converge in the city centre.

As a result, a new display has been installed in the Mosley Street area showing real-time information on where to catch the next Altrincham service – either Piccadilly Gardens or Market Street.

The new displays at both of these stops – the nearest two for Altrincham-bound passengers who currently use Mosley Street – will also show when and where the next available Altrincham tram will arrive.

Once Mosley Street has closed, passengers travelling to St Werburgh’s Road should head to the Market Street stop while passengers travelling to Eccles or MediaCityUK should head to the Piccadilly Gardens stop.

The closure will remove a bottleneck in the city centre created by the location of the stop, which will improve journey times and protect the reliability of services through the city as the network undergoes a £1.4 billion expansion.

It will also allow the new M5000 vehicles to run as double trams across the entire network; only the older T68 vehicles can serve Mosley Street as double trams because of its split-level platform.

A single tram can carry more than 200 passengers. Running two trams together, as a ‘double tram’, provides capacity for more than 400 passengers.

Peter Cushing, TfGM’s Metrolink Director, said: “Mosley Street only serves trams in one direction, and is the only split-level platform left on the network, which means only the older trams can call there as double trams.

“As the network has expanded, this has presented a bottleneck in the city centre, and also means we can’t run our new trams as doubles on services to Altrincham, Eccles, Chorlton and, in the near future, East Didsbury.

“Closing the stop removes both problems and also offers journey time savings, protects the reliability of services and opens up the immediate area to improve pedestrian access to local businesses.

“It also means, in future, we will be able to run more double trams through the city centre, which will provide more room for passengers.”

The closure of the Mosley Street stop has previously been approved by TfGMC, the Department for Transport and the Office of Rail Regulation following a thorough consultation by the DfT between November 2010 and February 2011.

Peter added: “We fully appreciate that removing any stop on the network will have an effect but Mosley Street is very close to Piccadilly Gardens and Market Street and the additional displays will help people get to the right stop to catch the next available Altrincham-bound service.”​

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_centre/Pages/News.aspx?articleId=223

tbtc

Veteran Member
Is this the first "closure" on a UK light rail network since the "first generation" trams were abandoned fifty(ish) years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.