• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink master thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

familyguy99

More good news for Oldham Town Centre line were driver training have begin today for that line. :)

Metrolink driver training on new Oldham town centre line

Work on the new Oldham town centre Metrolink line will take another step forward this week, as tram drivers get their first training sessions on the route.

Driver route training is another important stage in preparing the new line for passenger service, and familiarises drivers with the new route and its junctions, signals and stops.

Oldham’s new town centre Metrolink line is on course to open ahead of schedule, early in the new year.

It will have four new stops – Westwood, Oldham King Street, Oldham Central and Oldham Mumps, with the latter integrating tram and bus services and providing a new, free park and ride site for Metrolink passengers.

During the testing and the training periods, people can use roads and pedestrian crossings as normal.

Peter Cushing, Transport for Greater Manchester’s Metrolink Director, said: “It’s great news that we can work towards opening the new line to Oldham town centre sooner than expected, and driver training is a crucial stage in getting ready for passenger services.

“Obviously the training makes sure that drivers are fully familiar with the route, but also means we can iron out any issues in a live environment before we open the line for our customers in the new year.”

There will be a weeklong closure of the existing line between Central Park and Rochdale Railway Station before passenger services on the new line can open.

This will enable the permanent “tie-in” works associated with the track and overhead line equipment to be completed and shadow running test trams to operate on the remainder of the line.

More details on the timing of the closure, accompanying replacement bus services and the actual launch date for the town centre line, will be provided closer to the time.

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_centre/Pages/News.aspx?articleId=360

^^ rumours off SCC thread last week was that Oldham Town Centre line will be opening around February time so it seen that ORL (Central Park to Rochdale) will be closes for week around first week of February then if Oldham Town Centre do open in mid of February. :)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
^^ rumours off SCC thread last week was that Oldham Town Centre line will be opening around February time so it seen that ORL (Central Park to Rochdale) will be closes for week around first week of February then if Oldham Town Centre do open in mid of February. :)

The connections at either end of the town centre aren't going to be junctions, so when both tracks are connected to the town centre at both ends they will also be disconnected from the route through the tunnels. So the temporary Mumps station has to close at the start of the weeklong closure and the town centre section has to start when the line re-opens.

Boysteve

Today I checked metrolink website at 12 noon and it said services were 'good' and that 8 doubles were in use on the Bury-Alty directs and 3 doubles E'Dids - Roch. I caught a tram about 12:45 from Exchange Quay into the city but at Cornbrook it was all happening! A double T68 in the reversing loop with staff alongside, a mix of T68's and M5000's in service but stationary on the outbound line approaching Cornbrook. And then a tram showing 'Alty' as it's desination then reversed back into the Alty bound platform, I have never seen this before. As I then travelled from Cornbrook to Deansgate we passed about 5 in service trams stationary on the opposite track.
Out of curiosity I checked the metrolink website an hour later and it said that their had been an earlier tram breakdown with some residual delays on the Alty route. But the doubles were now 3 Bury - Alty direct, 5 Picc -Alty and still 3 EDids to Roch. So it seems that 5 double diagrams were swapped from Bury to Alty to Picc to ALty as a result of the earlier distruption. Is this common?

Manchester77

Established Member
Yeah to even out the service they can often switch trams around the doubles on PIC-ALT will have probably become directs again at Altrincham. The turnback siding at Cornbrook adds great flexibility and is a good place to dump defective trams until they can be removed at the End of Service.

familyguy99

The connections at either end of the town centre aren't going to be junctions, so when both tracks are connected to the town centre at both ends they will also be disconnected from the route through the tunnels. So the temporary Mumps station has to close at the start of the weeklong closure and the town centre section has to start when the line re-opens.

I think you misread what I posts as I mean Metrolink may closes ORL (from Central Park to Rochdale) on 3rd February (example) and reopen it again going through Town Centre on 10th February but it could be sooner then that we just have to wait and see.

Anyone who what to see picture that I took this afternoon in Oldham Town Centre of 3070/3071 trams doing testing in Oldham Town Centre can do via this link. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/sets/72157632535235149/

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think you misread what I posts as I mean Metrolink maybe closing ORL (from Central Park to Rochdale) on 3rd February (example) and reopen it again going through Town Centre on 10th February but it be sooner then that we just have to wait and see.

Anyone who what to see picture that I took this afternoon in Oldham Town Centre of 3070/3071 trams doing testing in Oldham Town Centre can do via this link. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/sets/72157632535235149/
I agree that is what will happen, I just thought your previous post suggested there might be a gap between the week's closure and the re-routeing through the town centre.

Thanks for posting all your photos.

34D

Established Member
Is the last date for T68 and T68A still Tue 17th Dec, as per upthread? Do we expect a reasonable turnout this Sunday and next?

familyguy99

Is the last date for T68 and T68A still Tue 17th Dec, as per upthread? Do we expect a reasonable turnout this Sunday and next?

I sure someone mention that T68A (2001 & 2003) trams will still be in use until early 2014 but saying that, I sure read on SCC thread that 2001 tram got withdrawn on Thursday but not too sure if this is true.

As for T68 trams I believe they will be gone by 17th December and don't think they will be out tomorrow or follow Sunday as Metrolink mostly use M5000 trams in service on Sunday service, you most likely to see T68 out and about on Monday maybe Eccles line.

507 001

Established Member
Woodlands road does indeed close tomorrow.

I called there for the last time ever this morning :(

Nothing has been mentioned about the withdrawal of T68s in work, usually things like that become canteen gossip pretty quickly.

Phil6219

I'm actually rather surprised nobody has mentioned what happened at Whitefield yesterday, when a body was discovered hanging under the stairs at the station.

Manchester Evening News Article

Seemed that Metrolink went about handling it in a sensible manor with minimized disruption by keeping the trams running but not calling at Whitefield.

Will refrain from making remarks about waiting for trams...

Phil

507 001

Established Member
I'm actually rather surprised nobody has mentioned what happened at Whitefield yesterday, when a body was discovered hanging under the stairs at the station.

Manchester Evening News Article

Seemed that Metrolink went about handling it in a sensible manor with minimized disruption by keeping the trams running but not calling at Whitefield.

Will refrain from making remarks about waiting for trams...

Phil

Yeah, it was very sad. I was on duty that morning on bury-Ashton's so had to drive through whilst the station was closed.

Established Member
Queens Road new stop is open. It's a grim place :P

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
So what happens to the "Via Woodlands Road" tram displays?
I always thought "Via Victoria" would be much better, as nobody knows where Woodlands Road is/was.

507 001

Established Member
I always thought "Via Victoria" would be much better, as nobody knows where Woodlands Road is/was.

Not going to be used any more. Bury/Ashton via woodlands road is a different code to bury/Ashton via Piccadilly/Victoria.

They didn't hang about, all the signs are gone and the ticket machines have been switched off at WDL

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Surely the point of "via Woodlands Road" was to identify the trams that stopped there during the period when some didn't. "Via" isn't strictly accurate in this case, as it is still "via" even if it doesn't stop there, but I guess "stopping at" wouldn't fit on the display.

Darren R

Established Member
Surely the point of "via Woodlands Road" was to identify the trams that stopped there during the period when some didn't. "Via" isn't strictly accurate in this case, as it is still "via" even if it doesn't stop there, but I guess "stopping at" wouldn't fit on the display.

That seems to make sense. I often wondered why trams suddenly started displaying "via Woodlands Road" - it always seemed strange and rather random, especially with the station up for closure. It must have confused a lot of people!

Status
Not open for further replies.