• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Stalybridge Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

I have posted on the other thread but thought worth posting here too - it is Page 11 that caught my eye though page 31 and 32 impact too.

Enhancements Delivery Plan October 2018 (posted down thread too)
https://cdn.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Enhancement-Delivery-Plan-.pdf

Interesting changes since June 2018:-
Phase 3 Still not completed GRIP6??? even though electric services are running.
Phase 4 Now has an estimated GRIP6 completion of December 2018
Phase 5 Put back from May 2018 to March 2019!!

I just love how Network Rail can never be late on any project work - just redefine the end date all the time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
I rather fear that although it's classified as an electrification scheme, that doesn't mean that all of it will be electrified (and what is the Extension Lead if not an electrification scheme?). OLE to Stalybridge by March 18 is also not credible.

I assume you mean 19 rather than 18.

In the new update, as in the previous two or three quarters, although it still has the title "Phase 5, Manchester to Stalybridge" (on pages 9 and 11), the actual definition (on page 9, to the right of the title) says "25kV AC overhead electrification between Manchester Victoria and the Bromley Street (Manchester) area, new grid supply point at Stalybridge, associated power cable from Stalybridge to Ordsall Lane for Phases 4 and 5 NWEP and infrastructure improvements to give journey time savings."

Bromley Street runs alongside the line a few hundred yards north-east of Victoria station, before the bridge under Rochdale Road. The handful of gantries erected in recent months already reach to the vicinity of Bromley Street.

For one issue before it started saying Bromley Street, it said "Miles Platting area".

Despite the continued use of of the title "Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge", it has been deducible for about a year that they are currently only electrifying about 10% of the way to Stalybridge.

Mordac

Established Member
I rather fear that although it's classified as an electrification scheme, that doesn't mean that all of it will be electrified (and what is the Extension Lead if not an electrification scheme?). OLE to Stalybridge by March 18 is also not credible.
Quite, that would require a time machine! :p

snowball

Established Member
I've since checked again and the Stalybridge error has been corrected to March 2019.
I didn't realise it ever said 2018. I thought it was edwin_m's typo. It said 2019 in the document by the time I posted #482.

familyguy99

No wires yet east of Victoria, there are still at least 2 missing masts.
Bays not wired either.

If this is the Great Extension Lead, I think there's a bit missing.
This is alongside P1 at Stalybridge.
The "Danger 25000 volts" on the ducting is a bit of a giveaway.
View attachment 53298

PS I suppose this could be for the feed towards Guide Bridge (not needed for now), with the Ordsall Lane cable somewhere on the north side of the layout?
Clutching at straws really.

Been through Victoria station today and notice electrification masts are now attach to two missing base. It can't be far off from them putting wires up on platform 1/2 at Victoria and up to Rochdale Road bridge.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I noticed the following item in the papers for the GMCA Metrolink and Rail Networks Subcommittee Meeting on 7th December:
Other significant engineering work is planned by Network Rail between 24 December and 1 January and passengers are advised to check before travel on www.nationalrail.co.uk This work will include the installation of an electrical feed that will provide extra resilience to power electric trains and is taking place between Stalybridge and Ordsall.
See Item 6 download on https://www.greatermanchester-ca.go...613/metrolink_and_rail_networks_sub-committee.

59CosG95

Established Member

Ken H

On Moderation
That would be the "Great Extension Lead", which will provide more power to the NWEP schemes without having to rely solely on the WCML.
why not just electrify stalybridge - guide bridge and feed the new electrification via Gorton and Deansgate?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I think Glossop-Guide Bridge-Ardwick is powered from the WCML anyway and hasn't got spare capacity.
Are you sure? Page 28 of this document (dated 2009 I know and badly needs updating)
http://archive.nr.co.uk/browse documents/rus documents/route utilisation strategies/network/working group 4 - electrification strategy/networkrus_electrification.pdf suggests that Catterall feeds south and there is Parkside , Moss Nook and Edgeley. I thought one of those fed that area and not WCML -Parkside of course is WCML. I may well be wrong. Joseph Locke may well now or possibly 59Cos G95 or Elecman

Elecman

Established Member
I think Glossop-Guide Bridge-Ardwick is powered from the WCML anyway and hasn't got spare capacity.
It won’t be fed from WCML as in Parkside, it will be fed from the original Manchester Area Feeders (most likely Edgeley but I don’t have the Feeder diagrams to hand)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Are you sure? Page 28 of this document (dated 2009 I know and badly needs updating)
http://archive.nr.co.uk/browse documents/rus documents/route utilisation strategies/network/working group 4 - electrification strategy/networkrus_electrification.pdf suggests that Catterall feeds south and there is Parkside , Moss Nook and Edgeley. I thought one of those fed that area and not WCML -Parkside of course is WCML. I may well be wrong. Joseph Locke may well now or possibly 59Cos G95 or Elecman

By "WCML" I meant existing West Coast feeders (Edgeley is WCML to me).
I "think" the conversion of the Glossop line to 25kV (and MSJ&A) was done at the time without any extra feeders beyond the original power supplies.

Greybeard33

Established Member
It won’t be fed from WCML as in Parkside, it will be fed from the original Manchester Area Feeders (most likely Edgeley but I don’t have the Feeder diagrams to hand)
Is/was it not the plan that Ardwick - Hadfield will eventually be fed from Heyrod, once Guide Bridge - Stalybridge is wired? Or am I remembering wrong?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Not that we know about.
The short extension east of Victoria, and the eastern bay platforms 1/2, are due to be wired over Christmas.
Also completion of the lineside "extension lead" between Heyrod and Ordsall Lane.

Chester1

Established Member
Not that we know about.
The short extension east of Victoria, and the eastern bay platforms 1/2, are due to be wired over Christmas.
Also completion of the lineside "extension lead" between Heyrod and Ordsall Lane.

Presumably the decision to wire up platform 1 and 2 when the eastern approach is done over christmas is a good indicator that the rest of the line to Stalybridge will be done eventually? It wouldn't make much sense to do it otherwise.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Presumably the decision to wire up platform 1 and 2 when the eastern approach is done over christmas is a good indicator that the rest of the line to Stalybridge will be done eventually? It wouldn't make much sense to do it otherwise.

It makes lots of sense.

It allows a shunt to take place and stabling of units in 1&2 instead of the west sidings only.

It trebles the amount of room for electrics at the station which will come in handy for when the Bolton corridor is finished.

Chris125

Established Member
Is Vic to Stalybridge electrification still being worked on?
K

I should think any wiring beyond the short stretch underway will now be covered by the Transpennine upgrade; it will certainly be a factor.

Ken H

On Moderation
is Guide Bridge - Stalybridge on the horizon? its not exactly far (2m 35ch) and would be good for TPE bi-mode services.

CHAPS2034

As most trains from east of Victoria no longer terminate there P1 and P2 will now be able to be used to store trains between the peaks.

The Stalybridge stoppers use those platforms plus several trains from Leeds terminate in there. They also were used to store units to strengthen the Leeds via Calder Valley trains in the peak although I'm not sure whether that still happens under the new timetable.

Jonny

Established Member
is Guide Bridge - Stalybridge on the horizon? its not exactly far (2m 35ch) and would be good for TPE bi-mode services.

TPE services that would use 802s are routed via Victoria, and either go to Liverpool or use the Ordsall Chord.

Status
Not open for further replies.