• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Victoria - new pub on the station?

Howardh

Established Member
Read that there's now the equivalent of the Piccadilly Tap (which is not quite on Piccadilly station, it's down the slope a bit...!) actually within the building of Victoria, not been yet and not sure if it's open, but if it is and anyone's been, is it as good as/better than Piccadilly Tap, and are the prices lower than those in the original pub there? Not sure if this new venture is in addition to the cafe/bar already there, or taken over; also I understand if you are sat outside you are adjacent to the tracks?

Also I don't think it's behind the barriers so no train ticket required?

Thanks for the info!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CHAPS2034

Read that there's now the equivalent of the Piccadilly Tap (which is not quite on Piccadilly station, it's down the slope a bit...!) actually within the building of Victoria, not been yet and not sure if it's open, but if it is and anyone's been, is it as good as/better than Piccadilly Tap, and are the prices lower than those in the original pub there? Not sure if this new venture is in addition to the cafe/bar already there, or taken over; also I understand if you are sat outside you are adjacent to the tracks?

Also I don't think it's behind the barriers so no train ticket required?

Thanks for the info!

The Victoria Tap finally opened last Tuesday at 3pm. Four cask handpulls and a large number of keg taps (19) for beer, plus wines, sprits and snacks.

It's much smaller than the Piccadilly Tap and the beer choice is a bit more limited but the manager at the PT is also looking after this one to start with. IIRC the price of a pint of cask was £4.20 - £4.80 depending on your choice and quality was very good on opening day.

This is not a replacement for the existing pub on the station but a new operation in the pedestrian entrance way from Shudehill. It has an outside area adjacent to the tram entrance to Victoria with lattice fencing for separation and some tables and benches -you can still get the tram numbers though :D, but not the big railway. A large part of this area is taken up by a shipping container which is the beer cellar! Work continues to develop this area to give more capacity and on other refinements.

Inside there is train departure information to help decide whether you have time for another one in the likely event that Northern and TPE have cancelled your service :rolleyes:. The pub is on the public side of the gateline, so no ticket required

The existing pub on the station (Beer House) continues and is run by SSP with high prices and limited choice, a point made by the Victoria Tap prior to opening in several posts and articles which can be found on line.

The project was started pre-COVID but delayed by the pandemic and then a higher priority project elsewhere, while the final stages saw several changes required by the authorities involved in the approval, which caused further delay.

At one point there was a debate as to which would open first - the Victoria Tap or HS2 to Manchester. It is telling that the day after the VT finally announced a firm opening date, Sunak gave up and cancelled HS2...:lol:

Cheers!

Chester1

Established Member
It looks good. Victoria is chronically short of somewhere warm to sit. Quite a selection of drinks!

Howardh

Established Member
The Victoria Tap finally opened last Tuesday at 3pm. Four cask handpulls and a large number of keg taps (19) for beer, plus wines, sprits and snacks.

It's much smaller than the Piccadilly Tap and the beer choice is a bit more limited but the manager at the PT is also looking after this one to start with. IIRC the price of a pint of cask was £4.20 - £4.80 depending on your choice and quality was very good on opening day.

This is not a replacement for the existing pub on the station but a new operation in the pedestrian entrance way from Shudehill. It has an outside area adjacent to the tram entrance to Victoria with lattice fencing for separation and some tables and benches -you can still get the tram numbers though :D, but not the big railway. A large part of this area is taken up by a shipping container which is the beer cellar! Work continues to develop this area to give more capacity and on other refinements.

Inside there is train departure information to help decide whether you have time for another one in the likely event that Northern and TPE have cancelled your service :rolleyes:. The pub is on the public side of the gateline, so no ticket required

The existing pub on the station (Beer House) continues and is run by SSP with high prices and limited choice, a point made by the Victoria Tap prior to opening in several posts and articles which can be found on line.

The project was started pre-COVID but delayed by the pandemic and then a higher priority project elsewhere, while the final stages saw several changes required by the authorities involved in the approval, which caused further delay.

At one point there was a debate as to which would open first - the Victoria Tap or HS2 to Manchester. It is telling that the day after the VT finally announced a firm opening date, Sunak gave up and cancelled HS2...:lol:

Cheers!
Three cheers for Sunak not cancelling VT!! Thanks for the informative write-up!!

Checked out the Tap this p.m. - they have made an absolutely excellent job of it. Nice selection of ales - cheapest was Blackjack Brewery Best Bitter (4.2%) at £4.10 / pint which was very pleasing. There is a selection of period photos of Victoria from the 70s and it has a skylight so quite light and airy. The 'terrace' is fun to watch the trams - although when you have seen one M5000 you have seen them all tbh. Very noticeable how busy the trams were - Manchester is 'back' after COVID.

One amusing feature is the departure board inside - instead of saying e.g. 'HEADBOLT LANE - 10mins' it says '10 pints' - this seems an ambitious target to consume in the time available before your train. I caught the 15.40 TPE back round to Piccadilly - absolutely wedged with folk going to the Airport and mountains of luggage everywhere - who says through trains to the Airport are not needed?

Jon C

I can also vouch for the quality of the Victoria Tap having popped in there on Saturday. Some excellent beers and it is an excellent addition to the station.

Howardh

Established Member
Checked out the Tap this p.m. - they have made an absolutely excellent job of it. Nice selection of ales - cheapest was Blackjack Brewery Best Bitter (4.2%) at £4.10 / pint which was very pleasing. There is a selection of period photos of Victoria from the 70s and it has a skylight so quite light and airy. The 'terrace' is fun to watch the trams - although when you have seen one M5000 you have seen them all tbh. Very noticeable how busy the trams were - Manchester is 'back' after COVID.

One amusing feature is the departure board inside - instead of saying e.g. 'HEADBOLT LANE - 10mins' it says '10 pints' - this seems an ambitious target to consume in the time available before your train. I caught the 15.40 TPE back round to Piccadilly - absolutely wedged with folk going to the Airport and mountains of luggage everywhere - who says through trains to the Airport are not needed?
Yes, I can back that up! Yesterday the 9.35 from Bolton to the airport was crammed (3 coaches) and those waiting were advised to catch the following one. Most with suitcases so probably going to that airport!

I did get the following one, my connection at Picc was the 10.35 to Euston, I wonder if my advance would still be legit on the 10.15 if I couldn't board the 9.35 from Bolton due to overcrowding?

Bantamzen

Established Member

People who don't use the trains to the airport... ;)

But its good to read of a new pub at Vic. The big question is will we need a mortgage for a round of drinks whilst watching the lineup of TPE cancellations? Going to give it a go when I'm next passing through! :D

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
First time here and impressed. Great selection of beers for a reasonable price, relaxed and friendly environment. Well worth a pint pit stop.

CHAPS2034

I visited again a couple of days ago. The place has now been open two weeks.

Due to phenomenal demand from the public, on Monday they added two handpumps to the four they already had. One will be used for cider and the other for an additional cask beer. They had a plan to do this in the future, but thought it would be a few months before they might need to, not a matter of days! This has not been done at the expense of any of the keg beers, which still number 19.

There already seem to be people who are regulars and this is augmented by rail passengers and people going to gigs in the Arena above the station.

Cask beers are around £4.40/pint which is about average for the city centre and beer quality is tip top.

Happy days

Victoria Tap has closed for 'refurbishment' - it must have been some New Year's Party. Peering through the door it does look as if they are working on it rather than anything ominous - the floor looked as if it had just been painted and was still wet.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Supposedly they were planning to add more beer taps due to demand, though I wouldnt be surprised if they reorganised the beer garden as well, its a bit cramped.

Revaulx

Such a shame they can’t expand their empire by taking over the architecturally fabulous Station Buffet. Maybe one day…

Llandudno

Established Member
Such a shame they can’t expand their empire by taking over the architecturally fabulous Station Buffet. Maybe one day…
I wonder how much trade the awful Station Buffet has lost since the new pub opened..?

trainophile

Established Member
Has the pub got toilets? Only the main concourse ones were out of order last week and had apparently been so for several days. No alternative facilities in the vicinity, which is pretty poor for a major interchange station.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Has the pub got toilets? Only the main concourse ones were out of order last week and had apparently been so for several days. No alternative facilities in the vicinity, which is pretty poor for a major interchange station.

It hasn’t, no.

Trackman

Established Member
Well that’s not much good then. You wouldn’t want more than a pint if the station loos aren’t operational.
Beer House has loos. Oh, hang on, last time I went they were out of order. Ain't cheap in there either.
Is the Beer House what people are calling on here the Station Buffet?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Went in the Station Buffet looking for food a few weeks back and it did hardly anything.

Bit of a polished turd I'd say - not really impressed!

As long as I can remember its always been pretty much just a pub rather than a cafeteria, there did used to be a Pumpkin annex to it.