• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Victoria tram stop set to reopen on Wednesday 18th February 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Regarding the post about Amsterdam and its gauntlet track, when there last year I came to the conclusion it was Line of Sight in making sure only one tram entered at a time

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
It is NEVER ignored, however with token working there has to be a method of allowing a train/tram into a single line section without the token.

If the token happens to be at the wrong end with insufficient time to move it by road then control can authorise a tram to enter the section.
The AP cannot authorise the move, only the controller.
That's definitely an interesting contrast with the railway equivalent - a 'wrong ended' staff (under staff and ticket) or Pilotman would have to be moved to the other end of the section, regardless of the extent of the delay so caused. Perhaps verbal authority is considered acceptable on the tram because the risk of a collision is rather lower if two did meet mid-section, with the most likely outcome being mere operational inconvenience?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That's definitely an interesting contrast with the railway equivalent - a 'wrong ended' staff (under staff and ticket) or Pilotman would have to be moved to the other end of the section, regardless of the extent of the delay so caused. Perhaps verbal authority is considered acceptable on the tram because the risk of a collision is rather lower if two did meet mid-section, with the most likely outcome being mere operational inconvenience?

That's very much what I suggested a couple of pages back, which attracted a certain amount of derision...

507 001

Established Member

Yeah your right, however there still has to be a way of getting a train into the section without the token. To assist a failed train/if the token has been lost/token instruments damaged or failed etc.
It is basically that procedure we are using, however more frequently.

That's very much what I suggested a couple of pages back, which attracted a certain amount of derision...

No, What you suggested was that we just ignored the token. We don't.

As I said, a tram can only enter the section without the token with the express permission of the controller, who I believe has to have permission from the duty manager.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
No, What you suggested was that we just ignored the token. We don't.

As I said, a tram can only enter the section without the token with the express permission of the controller, who I believe has to have permission from the duty manager.

I suggested it would be sufficient for drivers to have sight of the token on the lineside without having to stop and have a conversation. However as we now learn that under certain circumstances a tram can go through without the token even being at that end, then I now believe that it is wise for each driver to receive a verbal briefing on the situation.

Tomnick

Established Member
Yeah your right, however there still has to be a way of getting a train into the section without the token. To assist a failed train/if the token has been lost/token instruments damaged or failed etc.
It is basically that procedure we are using, however more frequently.
You can (on the railway) let one in without the staff/token to assist a failure (or evacuate passengers or remove a portion of a divided train etc.), but that's all. A lost/damaged token or failed instruments would require Pilotman working to be implemented, and a wrong-ended staff would need to be taken to the other end - simply talking one in verbally in those circumstances would probably earn you a P45!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Given that recent new line extensions have been made early to allow an earlier start time than first envisaged, if all goes to plan at Manchester Victoria railway station, could the nine months figure be reduced ?

Just a thought in an idle Sunday afternoon moment ?

34D

Established Member
Given that recent new line extensions have been made early to allow an earlier start time than first envisaged, if all goes to plan at Manchester Victoria railway station, could the nine months figure be reduced ?

Just a thought in an idle Sunday afternoon moment ?

It is a good point, especially as TfGM/Metrolink have a history of delivering projects earlier than advertised. Reopened in September?

snowball

Established Member

I thought it was the other way round:

The Metrolink remodelling at Victoria, and the resulting single-line operation, were originally due to start in early January, probably immediately after the construction industry's Christmas break. However, delays to the Victoria roof works caused the start of Metrolink works there to be postponed to late February.

The route switch in Oldham was originally scheduled to take place after the single-line operation at Victoria had been bedded in, but the delay to Victoria created the opportunity to do the Oldham switch earlier, in January, before the start of the Victoria works.

There was some speculation that the knock-on effects of the later start at Victoria would be somehow absorbed, and the works there would take less than the previously planned nine months, and finish at roughly the originally planned date. However, the announcements made when the work started still said it would take nine months, which means that if any further delays happen, it may be in danger of running into Christmas.

Of course it may still be that they gain some time.

The airport line, in contrast, is highly likely to open seriously early.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

TfGM/Metrolink have a history of delivering projects earlier than advertised.

Short memories? All the first Phase 3 lines opened late, mainly because of problems with TMS, which seemed at the time to be in danger of going on for ever. Now we're in a much pleasanter environment where recent openings have been ahead of schedule.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Metrolink remodelling at Victoria, and the resulting single-line operation, were originally due to start in early January, probably immediately after the construction industry's Christmas break. However, delays to the Victoria roof works caused the start of Metrolink works there to be postponed to late February.

This was not of Metrolink's own making as they could not possibly have factored in what I have caused to be emboldened in your quote above.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Early openings (specifically to East Didsbury, where I think it was reported that patronage is growing faster than anticipated too) are good for the books, not just the public. More time spent carrying fare-paying passengers and an earlier build-up of custom than was budgeted for means revenue will be higher than predicted, and sooner. The quicker it opens, the quicker the Airport line can start paying for itself, which bodes well for making the case for Port Salford :D

Nym

Established Member
Early openings (specifically to East Didsbury, where I think it was reported that patronage is growing faster than anticipated too) are good for the books, not just the public. More time spent carrying fare-paying passengers and an earlier build-up of custom than was budgeted for means revenue will be higher than predicted, and sooner. The quicker it opens, the quicker the Airport line can start paying for itself, which bodes well for making the case for Port Salford :D

Then doing their damndest to work out just how to convert sections out of Deansgate back to Heavy Rail and begging for the use of Manchester Central to terminate in as each of the West Manchester branches warrants 12tph, taking demand way beyond capacity resulting in a massive backpeadal by TfGM.

As a result, Six Tracking would be provided between Cornbrook and Castlefeild Jcns, two CLC, two to Central and two Metrolink, the birdcage providing drop zone protection for the DC electrification areas. All Metrolink services now being diverted via Panoma to avoid the two track section through Trafford Bar.

The route to Naviagtion road and direct line via Trafford Bar converted back to Heavy Rail with 25kV AC OHLE, running into Manchester Central, with CLC stoppers making use of a new crossover at Cornbrook.

Each of the Western lines will now move to a 6tph timetable, with;

6tph to Eccles
6tph to Media City
12tph to East Didsbury
6tph to Manchester Airport
6tph to Port Salford via Trafford Centre

Following the conversion of the Altrinham line back to Heavy Rail, sections of four tracking is now restored, with 6tph all stations running, and services via Stockport to the Mid Cheshire Line now running to Manchester Central, allowing an increase to 3tph on the Mid Cheshire running semi fast between Altrinham and Manchester, calling at Navigation Road, Sale, Cornbrook and Manchester Central. Of course, an additional 3tph would run to terminate at Altrinham and a 2tph shuttle provided between there and Stockport.

Due to the new sucsess of this old station and contined growth on the CLC route, all CLC stoppers are now diverted from Oxford Road to Central, removing the crossing paths at Oxford Road and improving the timetable and pathing there, additional loops and electrification allowing for an increase to 3 or 4tph.

As TfGM now realise the viability of heavy rail over their beloved metrolink; a process of four tracking between East Didsbury and Trafford Bar is carried out over the weekends, in order to provide two fast lines into Manchester Central, freeing up precious paths over the Stockport Viaduct. New and re-opened stations are built at Cheadle Heath, South Stockport and Hazel Grove South, so that services between Buxton and Sheffeild, and Manchester are now provided an alternative route.

Now seeing up to 18tph, the 5 platform station at Manchester Central is at capacity and the project is hailed a sucsess, Metrolink has now found it's place away from longer distance services in Greater Manchester. As it is now not being overambitious, all expectations are able to be met and those travelling in GM have a much happyer time.

Meanwhile, in the real world...

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Meanwhile, in the real world...

I am glad that you ended your posting with the rider above, as besides the conversion of the Leigh Guided Busway to heavy rail, the change of all types of air transport to biplanes at Manchester Airport and the change of the modern more "green" buses to that of horse-drawn mode of traction, you appeared to have covered everything else..:D

I should imagine that the owners of the facility at Manchester Central will be relieved to carry on business as normal now, without having the disruption of train services causing havoc with normal daily life in its new entity, especially when any party conferences are being held there.

familyguy99

Progress have started on new station at Victoria which base for platform is now in place.

As for roof that is continued making progress as here some picture that I took back on 7th July.

4th July this picture were took.

this picture were took today. (19th July)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
How is the "monster" crane assembly faring at Manchester Victoria, as there was thought that parts of the crane assembly might have been damaged during the previous project that it was employed upon.

Will there be any delay with the erection of the very large roof rib spans as a result of this and how is the construction of these faring ?

familyguy99

Some picture that I took of work going on at Victoria.

Work going on at tram stop.

Work taking place outside Victoria station.

These two took last Sunday.

New roof at Victoria.

Took last Saturday.

Took yesterday (8th Aug)

Last edited:

familyguy99

It is starting to come together anything happened in the last few weeks?

Here some picture that I took on Sunday of work going on at Victoria.

On Balloon St and Corporation St they start lading tracks down for 1CC so once Victoria tram station reopen in late November line will go back to double line then single line.

Work is still ongoing at Victoria tram station in which work is just be complete by late November time.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some picture update that I took today while I waited for my train at Victoria.

Soon to be tram line running here.

Would been better shot if tram went past.

Work continued to build new Victoria tram stop.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Why was the decision taken not to extend the new roof to the end of the stadium building, as this would have given far more weather-protection to passengers using the heavy-rail eastern-facing bay platforms and the three new Manchester Metrolink platform faces ?

familyguy99

Here some picture that I took today of work going on at Manchester Victoria station.

Looking at where rebuild Manchester Victoria tram station.

This is where rebuild tram tracks to have it back to double tracks again and work for 2CC line too.

Couple of picture looking at new roof at Manchester Victoria.

familyguy99

Here is some picture of work going on at Victoria which I took this afternoon.

New roof have now got all ribs on it.

Work to rebuild Metrolink line at Victoria is coming on quite nicely.

Victoria Metrolink station is coming on well too.

snowball

Established Member
One can only but hope that the February 2015 latest date from Network Rail is not to be compared with the Network Rail ever-increasing Todmorden Chord dates.

It being Victoria, one could also mention the electrification delays.

familyguy99

Here are some more work that I took yesterday of work going on at Victoria.

Work have start to rebuild line underneath Cheetham hill road.

Victoria tram station is coming on well now.

Work is continued to rebuild line through Victoria station.

table38

Established Member
Picture taken today showing the new gateline going in at Manchester Victoria, starting at the ends of Platforms 1 ad 2. (You can just see the bank of departure boards on the far right of the picture below).

mcvgates.jpg
mcvgates2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.