[Map] Overground, Crossrail and Thameslink as an S-Bahn system

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by U-Bahnfreund, 26 Dec 2017.

1. Mutant Lemming

Mutant Lemming Established Member

Серпуховско-Тимирязевская линия Serpookovkso - Teemeeryazevskaya line , bit like calling the Bakerloo the Queens Park - Elephant line. But it is the Russian style of doing it and not just another set of numbers or copying someone else. It makes it more unique instead of just another bland transport system.
    (Кольцевая линия - Koltsyevaya linia is the Circle Line)

2. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

Surely that is implied. Otherwise it'd be like just showing "Thameslink" or "Elizabeth Line" on the front of the train without indicating where on the line it's actually heading.

3. HSTEd

HSTEd Established Member

Well there is no particular reason you woul dhave to have the return working have the same line number
    Or it could just be T3 North or T3 South or T3 West

4. Francis

Francis Member

Very good piece of work. I've long been fascinated by railway maps. What yours does is to make clearer the Thameslink train working patterns. One can know the network fairly well, yet not realise there are regular through services Luton to Rainham or Cambridge to Ashford - at least when one belongs to the pre-Thameslink generation where everything stopped at Kings Cross or Holborn Viaduct. Very well done. Maybe you should copyright it and sell it!

5. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

True, but that would just be complicating things massively, seemingly just for the sake of being awkward. You don't have a Bakerloo line and a Waterstreet line to describe the brown coloured railway on the tube map, so I don't see why you'd have a T3 and a T97 (eg) for different directions on the same line.

And whilst T3 N and T3 S are one way of doing it, it doesn't help if you have trains that don't run all the way through (for example, a T7 N train from the OP's map could be going to either Luton or St Albans). It also doesn't help if the line doesn't always follow the cardinal direction, after all, an Eastbound train from Southfields is running northwards.

6. HSTEd

HSTEd Established Member

Well the idea would be that a train to Luton and a train to St Albans would have a different number

7. U-Bahnfreund

U-Bahnfreund Member

Whether a transport system is bland or not, surely doesn’t depend on whether it uses a logical line number system or names for their services. The Moscow Metro wouldn’t be bland even if it only used the numbers. And still, I don’t understand why you insist that this has to be an either or question. The arguments for a logical numbering system can be found on the last three pages.

Well, as of today there are no Thameslink trains to Rainham or Cambridge, the map/diagram shows the 2019 routes when the Thameslink Programme (and the Crossrail Project) will be finished. Also, I support open content, but thanks for your comment.

8. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

a real challenge would be "what if TfL got all the easily identifiable metro routes?"

to the south this is pretty easy- the three divisions have more or less identifiable "metro" operations (Southeastern and Southern identify these), although South Western Railway seem to be changing the SW one from what South West Trains had to possibly include the Reading services.

On the GN it's obviously the Moorgate to Welwyn and Hertford (the latter preferably to Stevenage). Liverpool Street is fuzzy, but essentially Hertford for Crossrail 2 (plus STAR). If you're including "all of Thameslink" then the whole LTS would seem to be fair game

9. Mutant Lemming

No one says you have to understand people's resistance to change for the sake of change.

Would be impressed if you manage to do the same treatment to these maps though.

www.jreast.co.jp/tc/info/map_a4ol.pdf

www.jreast.co.jp/e/routemaps/pdf/RouteMap_majorrailsub.pdf

10. DelW

DelW Member

It isn't change for the sake of change, it's a possible change to make it easier for visitors, foreigners and non-English speakers (as well as locals) to understand a complex system of routes. When I'm using metro systems abroad, I find it much easier to remember a route letter and/or number than the names of terminal stations in remote suburbs I've never heard of.

11. Mutant Lemming

I suppose you'd like branches of McDonalds and Starbucks to make you trip to Minsk more edifying as well.

12. DelW

DelW Member

What a bizarre non sequitur - what relevance does that have to making it easier to get around London?

For the record I rarely visit either of those chains or anything similar.

13. Mutant Lemming

The standardisation of transport and maps to make them all the same. I do get the fact that many people want a cloned dumbed down world where you don't have to think for yourself but if you are travelling somewhere what the hell is wrong with using your brain to work out how the transport system operates ? An S-Bahn map is fine in Germany but if your intellect strays beyond the average member of a Jeremy Kyle audience then what is wrong with making the effort of understanding the culture of other people's transport networks ?

14. Abpj17

Abpj17 Member

Nothing is wrong with using your brain. But one would think good customer service is about providing clear and accessible information for customers.

Particularly in and around major cities people are busy or may be using a route for the first time. Passing through town for business, on holiday, getting to the airport, visiting friends etc.

There is nothing simple about a confusing spaghetti tangle of trying to stick together three different maps to get from one side of the home counties to the other.

15. PR1Berske

PR1Berske Established Member

It's not about "culture" or Jeremy Kyle (bizarre reference!). It's about going to a new city and, at a glance, understanding a transport map.

16. Mutant Lemming

Well learning a bit about the place before you go may help and if you have learnt how to read maps then you should be able to work out most formats but if you want everything the same and simple (a clue to the reference) then who am I to argue.

17. Altnabreac

Altnabreac Established Member

Last time I was in Minsk (2006) there were certainly branches of McDonalds there. Can't imagine they've closed since. Don't remember seeing a Starbucks.