• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Market Rasen Ticket office for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It's currently listed on Rightmove for 50,000. Needs renovation and has planning consent for conversion to offices.

The ticket office hasn't been in active use for many years now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Been closed for roughly 25 years IIRC. Would be interesting to see whether decent effort was made internally to keep it in semi-decent nick or whether it's just been left to rot.

Edit - Judging by 'full renovation project' in the link I'll assume the latter!

Last edited:

HowardGWR

Established Member
According to Street View, the entrance from the supermarket side is blocked off even though they put in a zebra crossing to it? Is it still blocked and if so, anyone know why?

David Barrett

According to Street View, the entrance from the supermarket side is blocked off even though they put in a zebra crossing to it? Is it still blocked and if so, anyone know why?

I could be wrong but to the best of my knowledge the entrance to the station has always been situated on the Up Side, at least officially anyway. Tesco is built on the site of the former Goods and Coal Depot and to gain access to the Down Side would have involved walking amongst the sidings. Even after closure of the goods facilities the sign at the Foot Crossing end of the Down Platform directed passengers leaving trains to the left: ie. over the crossing and out via the Up Platform.

Last edited:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The entrance was blocked off before Tesco was even built. It was certainly blocked off since before I moved to Market Rasen around 2002. The zebra crossing is actually to cross the entrance to Tesco's car park for pedestrians wishing to use the supermarket.

al green

I lived in Market Rasen in 1950s and the only entrance was on the up side.On the down side there was a goods yard to the south of the station and coal sidings to the north of the station. I spent many hours watching the pick up goods shunt in the sidings. IIRC there was a track linking the two sets of sidings that ran round the back of the down platform. The only passenger access to the down platform was a barrow crossing at the north end of the platforms.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
A barrow crossing to the north of the platforms is still the only way to get across.

HowardGWR

Established Member
The entrance was blocked off before Tesco was even built. It was certainly blocked off since before I moved to Market Rasen around 2002. The zebra crossing is actually to cross the entrance to Tesco's car park for pedestrians wishing to use the supermarket.

If you get Street View up, and click on the strip of blue that seems to be in the approach road, it actually lands you in the Tesco car park on the other side of the railway! The belisha (in a car park!!!) crossing does not lead to the shop but into the bank of the railway where there are steps provided as though they were designed to lead to the platform.

It looks to me as if Tesco delivered a planning obligation but NR decided it didn't need or desire it. So at the moment the zebra crossing leads nowhere.

Have a look.:D

Last edited:

David Barrett

If the steps were supposed to facilitate access to the platform then why would they be so far away? Furthermore as the steps were most likely built post 2000 and if intended for public use then surely provision would have to be made for disabled access in which case a slope from where the steps are located along the bank side towards the Down Platform would be more appropriate anyway, there would probably be no need for steps at all. Are they a Network Rail requirement for their own use?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.