• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mature student - Sheffield to Wakefield

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennell

Hi everyone.

Just wondered if anyone could help me? I am a mature student studying to become a teacher and I have to travel to wakefield everyday by train. Currently this is costing £10.70 a day(return).

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a cheaper way to travel by train as a student.. I know there are schemes like "student plus metrocard" is west yorkshire... would it be best getting one of those even though I live in south yorkshire?? or would I need a south yorkshire equivalent??

its going to cost £55 a week otherwise :(

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Condor7

Do we presume you are not able to travel off peak?

As far as I can see the West Yorkshire metocard only extends to Darton & Moorthorpe.

dennell

I will be travelling during peak times in the morning at about 6.30am.. i think that peak?

The question i'm asking is whether it can be done providing its cross county? and whether anyone is currently doing it at the moment??

Condor7

I will be travelling during peak times in the morning at about 6.30am.. i think that peak

I will look in more detail later as I have to go out now.
However by paying from Sheffield to Darton it is £6.50p per day return.
If you buy the West Yorkshire Metrocard for a month based on you travelling 5 days a week brings it down to £49.32 per week.

I hope that helps/

Last edited:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Get a monthly Railmaster for South Yorkshire (trains and trams), priced at £67, plus Moorthorpe-Barnsley seven day seasons, priced at £23.40 per week. This will bring your weekly costs down to less than £40 and allow you to travel on fast and slow trains via Barnsley, and stopping trains via Rotherham/Moorthorpe. Unfortunately there isn't really a way of making savings if you travel on CrossCountry services.

John @ home

Established Member
A 7-day Season ticket Wakefield Stations - Sheffield route Not Via Doncaster costs £47 and can be used on the CrossCountry services, as well as EMT or Northern. It is also available as a monthly (£180.50) or pro rata for any period from 1 month 1 day to 10 months 12 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.