• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2014 timetable changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinsR

May 18th this year for what is usually referred to as the 'summer' timetable. I think it is usually the nearest Sunday to the middle of the month.

But officially this is only what they call the 'subsidiary change', the December change is the main annual change, by agreement with the EU. As far as a normal passenger is concerned there is little or no difference.

Thanks for the info. As a northern rail passenger I see there is a lot of changes from this date this year. I remember last year like you said I seen little or no difference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
A lot of the Northern changes relate to the knock-on effect of the TPE changes. Under the CP4 HLOS 5tph on North TPE was a proposed as a December 2012 change when it was propose brand new DMUs would be in service, then December 2013 following the change in plan to instead have electrification and no new DMUs and finished up being May 2014 with the delays that have occurred since then.

The only changes you usually see in the Summer timetables for Northern and TPE relate to engineering works or summer demand being different to winter demand e.g. an extra Blackpool or Scarborough service here or there.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHarries

Established Member
I thought that the new platform at Cardiff Queen Street might be planned for opening with the May TT changes and it seems I am right.

Looking on RTT it would seem that, by 19th May 2014, the new platform at Cardiff Queen Street will be in use. Trains heading away from Cardiff to go up the valleys are shown as using Platforms 4 & 5 with Platform 2 for Cardiff Bay and Platform 3 for trains towards Cardiff Central.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/CDQ/2014/05/19/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Still no sign of the 30-minute frequency to / from Rhymney though: the entry on Wikipedia for Rhymney station says that the frequency has not yet been improved due to a lack of rolling stock and that the present frequency will remain until at least May 2014.

Dave

Class 170101

Established Member
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C47456/2014/05/24/advanced
and
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C41319/2014/05/24/advanced

Apparently these two will be Class 57 Top and Tail Load 6 according to facebook group (schedules above and link to source below)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/154206151395980/

and according to timing loads it looks like XC HSTs will be on their four usual Saturday diagrams.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
HSTs between Bristol Temple Meads and Weymouth apparently

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C47237/2014/05/24/advanced
and
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C47279/2014/05/24/advanced

SprinterMan

Established Member
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C47456/2014/05/24/advanced
and
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C41319/2014/05/24/advanced

Apparently these two will be Class 57 Top and Tail Load 6 according to facebook group (schedules above and link to source below)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/154206151395980/

and according to timing loads it looks like XC HSTs will be on their four usual Saturday diagrams.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
HSTs between Bristol Temple Meads and Weymouth apparently

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C47237/2014/05/24/advanced
and
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C47279/2014/05/24/advanced

Thanks very much for these, they now make up part of a new special post in the Frequently Requested Diagrams Thread.

Adam :D

Old Hill Bank

Hartlebury to gain Monday to Saturday evening services from the May 18th timetable change. click on the link for Monday to Friday times. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...27/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=pax-calls&order=wtt
Realtime Trains | Departures from Hartlebury
Realtime Trains provides live realtime running information for the full Great British railway network using open data.
REALTIMETRAINS.CO.UK|BY SWLINES LTD
the Saturday times are http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/.../2014/05/24/0000-2359...

Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
Well I'll be...
a tram on 1O72/1V67, that's the old 'Bucket and Spade' diagram. First class to Weymouth for a standard ticket too, there's no 1st class fares down that line.

The use of 57s down west rather than CF-Taunton is a logical move, no problems with traction knowledge because of the sleepers.

Last edited:

dannypye9999

, the December change is the main annual change, by agreement with the EU. As far as a normal passenger is concerned there is little or no difference.

What has our rail timetable and how often we make changes to our timetable got to do with the EU?

Veteran Member
I think timetable matters are the concern of the UIC (International Railway Union), but yes, the change from June to December for the beginning of the timetable year was agreed across Europe (at least as far as international trains are concerned - some national timetables don't change then) and the UK went with it. The secondary change in mid-June is much less consistently observed (France goes later, UK stuck with May...).

There is stirring in the travel trade (see Seat61, frequently) about the December timing, but that's another issue...

louis97

Established Member
no problems with traction knowledge because of the sleepers.

You say that, but only Exeter crew sign the Loco Haul stock and 57s. In preparation for the summer Penzance crew have been learning these.

TEW

Established Member
It's only a problem for guards. Penzance, Plymouth and Exeter drivers all already sign 57s. Only Exeter guards sign the MK3 stock though.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Well I'll be...
a tram on 1O72/1V67, that's the old 'Bucket and Spade' diagram. First class to Weymouth for a standard ticket too, there's no 1st class fares down that line.

The use of 57s down west rather than CF-Taunton is a logical move, no problems with traction knowledge because of the sleepers.

Surely only if First is declassified? I'd expect it would be but the existence of fares or otherwise isn't what declassifies it is it?

sonic2009

Established Member
starmill:1735430 said:
Well I'll be...

Surely only if First is declassified? I'd expect it would be but the existence of fares or otherwise isn't what declassifies it is it?

The timetable will probably only show standard class accommodation available therefore the whole train is STD.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Virgin's headline Manchester-London 2 hour service is re-timed to arrive at Euston 1 minute later, meaning Virgin will no longer have a headline service but will still have one Manchester-London service that doesn't call at either Crewe or Stoke.

dk1

Veteran Member
Virgin's headline Manchester-London 2 hour service is re-timed to arrive at Euston 1 minute later, meaning Virgin will no longer have a headline service but will still have one Manchester-London service that doesn't call at either Crewe or Stoke.

I take it thats the 07.00up calling just Stockport? If so its a shame as was 1h58 then 2h & now 2h01. Too be honest i would knock out the recovery & show a headline grabbing 1h59 & bugger PPM.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Are there any allowances in the schedule that arent prescribed in the TPR? If not then taking them out makes the schedule invalid and we would just put them back in.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
XC, East Midlands Trains and East Coast all have their new May timetables online in traditional pdf format for those who prefer them that way.

In other news, Anniesland-Maryhill-Glasgow Queen St HL gets an hourly Sunday service from May too (it currently gets nowt):

New Sunday service to Anniesland via Maryhill
27 February 2014

First ScotRail has announced it will operate ten trains a day between Glasgow Queen Street and Anniesland from Sunday 18 May.

The new Sunday services will call at north Glasgow communities in Kelvindale, Maryhill, Summerston, Gilshochill, Possilpark, Parkhouse and Ashfield.

Until now, Sunday services have been restricted to a few weeks in the run-up to Christmas over a number of years.

ScotRail, which is funding the extra services, said the first train from Anniesland will depart at 09:51, and then at 51 minutes past the hour until 18:51.

In the other direction, the first train from Queen Street will leave at 09:26, then at 26 minutes past each hour until 18:26.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-sco...leases/new-sunday-service-anniesland-maryhill

northwichcat

Veteran Member
On paper it sounded like the May 2014 changes would benefit the Wigan area but it seems some will be disadvantaged by the changes:

Wigan Today said:
SCORES of Wigan students face being “stranded” by the new railway timetable.

For decades teenagers from the east of the borough have caught the train to get to their A-level and B-Tec studies at Winstanley College.

But signals have now turned red for danger after it was revealed that the Atherton to Wallgate Station train and the following Wallgate to Orrell train (for the Winstanley Road based college) will no longer connect. Under the new timetable set to be introduced on May 18, which reveals Northern Rail’s new services, students will now face a long wait between services.

And it will leave them unable to reach college by train for the start of the educational day.

Now a councillor is demanding talks with the train operator in an attempt to have the service joined up again before the new time table is introduced.

Wigan Independent Network’s Norman Bradbury said that it was “outrageous” that the train operator was about to leave the students “high and dry.”

More than 60 students are affected. College Principal Louise Tipping said: “We are delighted that Coun Bradbury is representing the interests of Winstanley College Students. This train proposal, as it currently stands, will seriously affect the education of a significant number of our students. We are dismayed at Northern Rail’s lack of consultation.”

Coun Bradbury said: “The new timetable will leave students who attend Winstanley College without a rail service to get them there in time for the start of their lectures.

“At the present time the 7.26am and 8.03am trains from Atherton both provide a direct link to Orrell for Winstanley College.

“But under the new timetable these services have now been re-scheduled and the 7.26am trains will now departs from Atherton at 7.33am.

“This means that by the time it gets to Wigan Wallgate, students will miss the connection for the train to Orrell by at least four minutes.

“While the 8.31am departure from Atherton has been put back to 8.38am which means it gets to Orrell too late for the start of College.

“Northern Rail claim that these changes have been caused by the impact of the introduction of a new through express service from Liverpool to Newcastle.

“The train company are saying that they have to make the best use of the fixed diesel train resources to deliver a peak train service, which retains as many of the current journey opportunities as possible.

“But I want to know when will Northern Rail realise that passengers are their bread and butter.

“At the very least they should consult with them before making these bizarre alterations to timetables and they should give passengers an adequate warning period.”

A spokesman for Northern said that it was considering Coun Bradbury’s complaints on behalf of student passengers travelling to the college via Orrell Station.

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/local/train-timetable-blow-for-students-1-6546445

cle

Established Member
Any ideas when will the Southeastern timetable be released?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Any ideas when will the Southeastern timetable be released?

All train times for beyond May are now on journey planning websites and ticket selling websites but usually the printed timetables are made available a couple fo weeks before the changes.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Southeastern are usually one of the first to upload pdfs onto their website. I'd expect them to be up sometime within the next week or so.

Darren R

Established Member
On paper it sounded like the May 2014 changes would benefit the Wigan area but it seems some will be disadvantaged by the changes:

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/local/train-timetable-blow-for-students-1-6546445

Yes - let's re-write the whole railway timetable across the North West just a few weeks before it's due to take effect because of a few students in Wigan. :-x

Alternatively said students could do what everyone else has to do when their trains are re-timed: get up earlier!

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Yes - let's re-write the whole railway timetable across the North West just a few weeks before it's due to take effect because of a few students in Wigan. :-x

Alternatively said students could do what everyone else has to do when their trains are re-timed: get up earlier!

It sounds like the situation is the first direct train will not be until 08:38, so the only option will be to catch a train at 07:04 with a 25 minute wait for a connecting service at Hindley. As Orrell is 25 minutes from Atherton by direct train it does seem excessively early to have to set off for Orrell to be able to get there by 9.

thealexweb

Given that overall the Wigan stations benefit massively from next month my sympathy is somewhat limited. For its size Wigan has a fantastic service that goes above and beyond what towns its size deserve.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Shouldn't the service a town/city gets reflect its usage, not its size? Should a town of 100000 with a low proportion of use automatically get a better service than one of 50000 which has a high usage?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Wigan is not so different in size from Stockport. Nobody is proposing issues with that are they? Both are significant parts of Greater Manchester with large commuter and surprisingly large long-distance markets. That said, look at the long-distance services available from Rochdale, or worse, Oldham and Bury!

thealexweb

Shouldn't the service a town/city gets reflect its usage, not its size? Should a town of 100000 with a low proportion of use automatically get a better service than one of 50000 which has a high usage?

I shall rephrase my statement. Wigan NW currently has awesome levels of services considering its passengers numbers are relatively low and have flatlined for several years now.

In contrast to Bolton which has strong growth year after year who's services have gradually deteriorated over the same period.

Dunc108

I shall rephrase my statement. Wigan NW currently has awesome levels of services considering its passengers numbers are relatively low and have flatlined for several years now.

In contrast to Bolton which has strong growth year after year who's services have gradually deteriorated over the same period.

I agree with that I must say, least with Wigan NW having a Man Airport direct fast service you no longer necessarily have to cross to Wallgate and this will be faster than the Southport - Airport alternative, unless of course you need to get to Bolton.... Also one advantage of TPE via Wigan NW is better connectivity with Liverpool services via St Helens as they certainly aren't frequent if you change at Preston, and the Ormskirk route is somewhat hamstrung by a non clockface timetable even if it is more direct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.