• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2022 Timetable Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The withdrawal of the Glenrothes - Kirkcaldy section and the ScotRail fast services between Edinburgh and Kirkcaldy is now showing. A permanent journey time penalty for Cupar, Ladybank, Markinch and Kirkcaldy to Inverkeithing, Haymarket and Edinburgh of 6 or so minutes. Particularly poor for Cupar and Markinch which do not have LNER or CrossCountry services. Perth to Edinburgh journey times are extended similarly when there's not a service between Inverness and Edinburgh running.
Interestingly Sundays seem to retain pretty much the entirety of what the current timetable already is through Fife with the only services missing being the ones to and from Inverness which will go via Stirling

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tayway

Looks like Northern have altered their proposed May timetable already - a quick search for Liverpool Lime St shows the 'semi-fast' Liverpool-Manchester Airport, several off-peak Liverpool-Warrington Bank Quay stoppers, and a handful of 'semi-fast' Liverpool-Blackpool North services removed.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...1/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT
The Chat Moss stopper seems to be running through to Crewe like at present as well. Hopefully the missing journeys reappear soon.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The ScotRail proposed offering from may is thoroughly depressing, unless of course you own a bus company.
Or taxi firm
Or a slightly dubious used car dealership
Or a vehicle financing organisation

But if you're an average rail passenger or public transport user in general and have no alternative than to use said public transport, you are very much out of luck here. I wonder how much notice the bus and coach industry in particular takes of rail timetable data at this stage when it comes to their forward planning and future service projections?

The diverting of most Edinburgh to Inverness services via Stirling is welcome from a journey time point of view but is certainly not welcome from the point of view of residents of Fife who are now very much caught between a rock and a hard place. If they move back to Edinburgh they have much higher council tax for which they receive less in terms of quality of service and are also living in what is to all intents and purposes a tourist theme park with a very high student population on the fringes, if they stay where they are they have the significantly reduced costs of doing so but the public transport infrastructure they once enjoyed is slowly being eroded, again a lot of this is Stealth cuts with the pandemic as a convenient excuse. I suspect the new Scottish government owned sturgeon rail would have done a lot of this damage anyway

Greybeard33

Established Member
Looks like Northern have altered their proposed May timetable already - a quick search for Liverpool Lime St shows the 'semi-fast' Liverpool-Manchester Airport, several off-peak Liverpool-Warrington Bank Quay stoppers, and a handful of 'semi-fast' Liverpool-Blackpool North services removed.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...1/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT
The Northern service cuts appear to be for a two month period, restored from 18 July:
The Preston - Victoria stopper is also withdrawn through this period.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Just a minor one but Mays timetable change sees the end of the Northern / Scotrail through workings and anomalies on the Tyne Valley route. Confirmed in Scotrails latest Track Access Application (Its also been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum I believe)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Just a minor one but Mays timetable change sees the end of the Northern / Scotrail through workings and anomalies on the Tyne Valley route. Confirmed in Scotrails latest Track Access Application (Its also been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum I believe)
Yes, the G&SW pattern south of Kilmarnock gets more regularised as a result - Glasgow to Carlisle becomes a pretty much regular two-hourly service and Dumfries gets a near hourly service to Carlisle I believe, at the expense of the through Newcastle workings.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Yes, the G&SW pattern south of Kilmarnock gets more regularised as a result - Glasgow to Carlisle becomes a pretty much regular two-hourly service and Dumfries gets a near hourly service to Carlisle I believe, at the expense of the through Newcastle workings.

Yep and also that Scotrail get use of an extra 156 on a Sunday (if they so want it) as its not sitting on Northerns Heaton depot awaiting Monday mornings working

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yep and also that Scotrail get use of an extra 156 on a Sunday (if they so want it) as its not sitting on Northerns Heaton depot awaiting Monday mornings working
I doubt it'll be used for an extra service, either a strengthener or added maintenance cover seems more likely.

Anvil1984

Established Member
I doubt it'll be used for an extra service, either a strengthener or added maintenance cover seems more likely.

That's what I meant. They have the option to use it on anything they require (maintainance exams, strengthening, give some slack in tight diagrams etc etc). Its just better to have it on their patch and not trapped and sat around in Newcastle

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That's what I meant. They have the option to use it on anything they require (maintainance exams, strengthening, give some slack in tight diagrams etc etc). Its just better to have it on their patch and not trapped and sat around in Newcastle
Sorry, I thought you were suggesting they used it on an extra Sunday working. Yes, I agree its better to keep it on it's home patch than outstationed and sat idle.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The Preston - Victoria might never return. Its not running in December's mass change
RTT does still show the Preston - Victoria returning from 18 July, albeit only bi-hourly:
But of course there is no guarantee that will actually happen.

Glenn1969

Established Member
RTT does still show the Preston - Victoria returning from 18 July, albeit only bi-hourly:
But of course there is no guarantee that will actually happen.
Is the blockade between Rainford and Kirkby because of Headbolt Lane? The links above show Northern terminating at Rainford for at least 6 weeks with a bus to Kirkby

Greybeard33

Established Member
Is the blockade between Rainford and Kirkby because of Headbolt Lane? The links above show Northern terminating at Rainford for at least 6 weeks with a bus to Kirkby
I imagine so. It will be necessary to sever the existing line at Headbolt Lane and restore the connection through the existing Kirkby station in place of the back to back buffer stops.

I presume the Northern service will terminate at Rainford from July until Headbolt Lane opens (target spring 2023).

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The Glasgow and south western line improvements are about the only positive thing to come out of ScotRail this spring by the looks of it. The not quite hourly service from Dumfries to Carlisle and return has been in place for a few years now and although it's not a clock face and a little bit erratic at times has certainly proved popular and they would have a very hard job in slashing it now as surprise surprise suppressed demand from all three stations between Dumfries and Carlisle has as been unleashed. This purely cement sit in position for the long term or at least until they do an Edinburgh Queen Street on it and start running longer trains less frequently

The slight increase in trains North of Dumfries is also welcome although it is still a slow root if you want central Glasgow

Class 466

Established Member
Not sure why if they go ahead with ending all Covid laws in 3 weeks time. May is a long way off so I expect normality to have returned by then
Things won't return to 2019 levels for years yet, just because the last (but not all) the restrictions are going doesn't mean people will suddenly return to the office 5 days a week for example. Going to be a while before a true picture is available so I'd expect the May timetable to not stay the same until December, except this time it could be uplifts rather than wholesale service reductions as has become tradition over the past two years.

Glenn1969

Established Member
Things won't return to 2019 levels for years yet, just because the last (but not all) the restrictions are going doesn't mean people will suddenly return to the office 5 days a week for example. Going to be a while before a true picture is available so I'd expect the May timetable to not stay the same until December, except this time it could be uplifts rather than wholesale service reductions as has become tradition over the past two years.
All legal restrictions are going. Possibly as early as 22nd Feb. I think leisure travel will be at 2019 levels before the end of the year. Timetables in May and December need to reflect thst

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
All legal restrictions are going. Possibly as early as 22nd Feb. I think leisure travel will be at 2019 levels before the end of the year. Timetables in May and December need to reflect thst

Restrictions are going, that doesn’t stop people being ill. Including drivers.

Dave1957

Yes that is what reports are sugesting for the aviation sector.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Leisure travel will for sure but business and commuting traffic will remain depressed for at least 18 months. Whilst i don't believe wfh will be as broad as people believe what is for sure is hybrid working is here to stay. So if that softens the high peak that isn't actually a bad thing but of course the infrastructure, rolling stock and staffing has been sized for decades to deliver the high peak so it will take time to unwind it to save money. What isn't clear currently is how tolerant govt are to covering the short term deficit while traffic recovers or the industry right sizes itself to what is needed. There is a risk of decisions being made that will remove capacity from the industry be that rolling stock followed by more voluntary severance schemes or compulsory redundancy to get the books balanced that leave it with shortages in the future. Some rolling stock is life expired but the likes of the 379 need to be warm stored at govt expense so no stupid decisions are made for example. Currently operators seem to be bearing brunt of cutbacks and controls but NR need to step upto the plate to lower the overall cost of running the infrastructure as well although until teh govt make it clear what it wants nothing will change.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The change times at New Street are also terrible northbound for South West to North West passengers. I mean, who wants to travel from Cornwall, Devon, Somerset or Bristol to Manchester anyway?
My job necessitates me travelling between Plymouth and Bristol TM on a fairly regular basis and the current XC timetable of roughly one every 2hrs in the off-peak on Mondays to Fridays is a pain in the **** so I was glad when GWR increased their frequency between Penzance, Plymouth and Bristol Temple Meads.

Transport for Wales is now showing. The Manchester to North Wales services are back.
Likewise, on Mondays to Fridays, the morning 0447 Carmarthen - Llandovery and 0644 Llandovery - Swansea.

Subject to the usual caveats: everything is subject to change, not all TOCs are yet included, some trains are missing and there are some noticeable errors that will inevitably be ironed out before the timetables go live, May 2022 timetables for most of the UK (some South East areas still to be covered) are now available at www.railwaydata.co.uk/timetables/May22. These will be updated 3 times a month in the run up to May 15th.
Thanks for that resource: it is good to see, among other things, that the draft timetable for Exeter Central to Okehampton gives an hourly 7 days per week! This new timetable is also on RTT. There is a track blockade for the Crediton - Okehampton line for 25th April to 09th May to allow for track upgrades in connection with this.

On another note a change shown for trains on the Exeter to Barnstaple route is that the 1639 Barnstaple to Exeter Central is retimed to depart from Barnstaple at 1631 and will extend beyond Exeter Central to Axminster. Betwen Exeter Central and Axminster it will call at Pinhoe, Cranbrook, Feniton and Honiton en-route before arriving Axminster at 1828. This change is Mondays to Fridays only. The downside on this extension is that the train works ECS back to Exeter TMD which involves running empty all the way from Axminster to Castle Cary, pausing 28 minutes at Chard Junction en-route. The train remains at Castle Cary for 44 minutes (due to "staffing reasons, meaning the driver gets a break) before returning to Exeter TMD with a 6 minute pause at Chard Junction, a 28 minute pause at Honiton and a 4 minute pause at Exeter St. Davids so having departed Axminster at 1847 the train gets back to Exeter TMD at 2225. Makes a good route refresher I suppose but that is a rather long ECS.

Dave

Veteran Member
That is the very purpose of this, a route refresher
....otherwise it would return from Chard Jn (or Axminster, if the signalling permits - as it would need to for the proposed regular workings) at the first available opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.