• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2023 changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Quite. I rather enjoyed my EMR First Class journeys last year! Some of the nicest First Class out there, seat comfort is great but I had amazing service as well!
That’s good to hear, my praise was relating to the seat and train itself. I definitely haven’t had “amazing service” on EMR myself.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Sounds quite dramatic until you have a look on RTT and realise it's one train per day at the inconvenient time of about 1900.
That's not strictly true. Pre covid there were two trains per day in each direction. At some time in the last couple of years one of the trains was replaced by a bus from Moorthorpe to York leaving just the one train in each direction. Whilst late in the day these trains were well used and provided additional capacity between Sheffield and York.

JustPassingBy

Chiltern have confirmed their timetable from May now too:

Significant recast between Birmingham and London.
Also no more through trains between Aylesbury and Marylebone via High Wycombe (other than a couple very early/late in the day).

Luke McDonnell

On Moderation
Are TfW going to reinstate an hourly service on the Liverpool-Chester via Runcorn service in May I was told it was going back to hourly is this still going ahead?

aem7ac

Also no more through trains between Aylesbury and Marylebone via High Wycombe (other than a couple very early/late in the day).
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.
Do we know how this impacts what is allocated 68/Mk3?

Northern are withdrawing the Sunday service between Sheffield and York!
Sounds quite dramatic until you have a look on RTT and realise it's one train per day at the inconvenient time of about 1900.
That's not strictly true. Pre covid there were two trains per day in each direction. At some time in the last couple of years one of the trains was replaced by a bus from Moorthorpe to York leaving just the one train in each direction. Whilst late in the day these trains were well used and provided additional capacity between Sheffield and York.
Suppose its a case of swings and round abouts in this case. Pre-covid there was a daily service of two trains a day, whereas in the May 2023 there's 3 trains Monday to Saturday, with a bus running part-route on Sundays. There's always the option of using CrossCountry between Sheffield and York, although I can't pretend I'd ever be too keen to do that.

Attachments

• Table 124 - 2023.pdf
    67 KB · Views: 29
  • Table 124 - 2018.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 12

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Suppose its a case of swings and round abouts in this case. Pre-covid there was a daily service of two trains a day, whereas in the May 2023 there's 3 trains Monday to Saturday, with a bus running part-route on Sundays. There's always the option of using CrossCountry between Sheffield and York, although I can't pretend I'd ever be too keen to do that.
That's not quite true. The Monday to Saturday service was increased from 2 to 3 trains pre Covid (December 2018?).

That's not quite true. The Monday to Saturday service was increased from 2 to 3 trains pre Covid (December 2018?).
Apologies, you're very correct. Should have checked the following year's timetable.
It's a shame really, as when I last used the service it was pretty well patronised, even with those using Pontefract Baghill.

Attachments

• Table 124 - 2019.pdf
    46 KB · Views: 10

mangyiscute

Established Member
I've noticed the early 06:37 from Paddington to Penzance has been changed to an 06:00 service that goes via Bristol instead of the direct line, and follow the same timings from Taunton except an extra call at Newton Abbot. While this is disappointing since this was a great train to ride as it was very fast to Plymouth and usually very quiet, that right there explains the change for me - hopefully it can get more passengers as a replacement for the 05:45 Bristol train (at a slightly more sensible time) and then the previous Gloucester to Penzance service now goes via Weston-super-Mare which was already a service hence saving a train in total with not much loss. Although I would also argue if GWR want to get more people on that early service, they should just reduce the anytime fares (I can dream)

sammyg901

Some discussion here https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...etable-change-for-the-worse-or-better.246042/

It'll be interesting to see if/how they alter this until the Oxford issue is resolved.

Llandudno

Established Member
Are TfW going to reinstate an hourly service on the Liverpool-Chester via Runcorn service in May I was told it was going back to hourly is this still going ahead?
Not a chance!

TfW are even running single Class 153s on Crewe-Chester shuttles, I just about managed to board one on Wednesday!

Plus no sign of the half hourly (or even hourly) service on the Wrexham-Bidston line!

NewClee153

And Sundays ;)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Avanti timetable for Chester and North Wales (if they can deliver it) is a small improvement on the current one, but is still well short of the 2019 timetable.
The former 6 through services to Holyhead are down to 5, though 3 sets still stable there overnight.
The early first up train (0448 from Holyhead, 0626 from Chester) is scrapped, and there is no 1610 (would be 1602 in the new timetable) back from Euston to Holyhead.
The early train used to combine with a Blackpool portion at Crewe, and this section still runs, through to Euston.

Euston-Chester used to have an hourly train from 0710 to 2010, 14 trains in all.
The new xx02 departures are 5 fewer at 09*, 10, 12, 13, 15*, 17*, 18, 19* 20* (* = through to Holyhead, others turn at Chester).
There are similar gaps in the up direction; the last up train is at 1732 rather than the former 1935.

A couple of trains are ECS class 221 positioning moves between Barton under Needwood and Chester.
Once class 805s come in, these will probably go to Wolverhampton (back to Oxley depot), so maybe they will run in service.
There is still an early Birmingham-Crewe-Holyhead and back in the evening to swap sets round.
Wrexham still has its daily through portion.

Overall, the service is still no better than 60% of the 2019 timetable.
It remains to be seen if this is the final offer, or whether things might improve when Avanti's operations improve and the 805 fleet is fully deployed.

Last edited:

bluenoxid

Established Member
Last edited:

mangyiscute

Established Member
Northern Railways have published their May 2023 timetable for the Bishop Auckland to Saltburn route, which optimistically retains Redcar British Steel and Teesside Airport. The latter has an eastbound Sunday service commencing during the timetable (it is also in the current timetable)

Both of these stations are suspended and closed aren’t they?

Even more interestingly, the stop at Teesside Airport is reinstated from 25th June. Could it be reopening?

DaveHarries

Established Member
GWR new timetables are up on the website too.
Indeed, and the Severn Beach timetable includes stops for the new Portway Park & Ride station. I took a train from Exeter Central to Paignton yesterday and saw no sign of work going on at the new station for Marsh Barton which is included with scheduled stops in the new Exeter - Paignton timetable too.

Dave

mangyiscute

Established Member
Indeed, and the Severn Beach timetable includes stops for the new Portway Park & Ride station. I took a train from Exeter Central to Paignton yesterday and saw no sign of work going on at the new station for Marsh Barton which is included with scheduled stops in the new Exeter - Paignton timetable too.
Although for both of these and for Reading Green Park, there is a note saying that it will open some time within the validity period of this timetable, which we already knew

BrianB

Thanks for the update, Brian, you do a great job and you're made very busy by all the revisions for sure. It's just so good to have someone who cares doing this job now, and although it's not good that the timetable isn't finalised yet, you're the victim and the messenger and not the cause.

The edit is now closed, the files are final for the moment and are the same files that will appear on Network Rail's own website in due course. Any ongoing changes will be processed as part of the weekly updates

anthony263

Established Member
Anyone else noticed the large gap between trains from Pembroke dock to swansea. After the 1709 departure the next train isn't till 2109. Theres a train from Tenby to Swansea. The 1709 is in fact the last train from Pembroke dock through to swansea. The 2109 terminates at Carmarthen.

The Pyle stop on the 0536 swansea to Manchester is shown in timetable again

Jammy Dodger

Greater Anglia's are out too

BrianB

Anyone else noticed the large gap between trains from Pembroke dock to swansea. After the 1709 departure the next train isn't till 2109. Theres a train from Tenby to Swansea. The 1709 is in fact the last train from Pembroke dock through to swansea. The 2109 terminates at Carmarthen.

The Pyle stop on the 0536 swansea to Manchester is shown in timetable again
thats an error, i will correct it

Status
Not open for further replies.