• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kingston_toon

The 23D, 26A and 51A services perform the same function in Renfrewshire.

Now you mention it, I noticed this with a 26A a few months back too. I was waiting for a 757 to the airport at Paisley Gilmour Street and the scheduled 26A sailed past in the far lane, with no chance of stopping for anyone wanting it.

Might put in a little non-specific email asking the company to be mindful of this!

PaulMc7

Established Member
This is something I do regularly in Glasgow on dark nights
I can remember doing it in winter mornings 10 years ago when I used Mcgills to go to college in Paisley. It was in the days of the 22C from Clydebank to Paisley and I used to use my phone light just to make sure the bus didn't go without stopping as not many used it until it was over the Erskine Bridge.

Our street lights are so poor that sadly it's more common to need to use alternative lights just to be seen.

voidwxrranty

I can remember doing it in winter mornings 10 years ago when I used Mcgills to go to college in Paisley. It was in the days of the 22C from Clydebank to Paisley and I used to use my phone light just to make sure the bus didn't go without stopping as not many used it until it was over the Erskine Bridge.

Our street lights are so poor that sadly it's more common to need to use alternative lights just to be seen.
It is a certainly smart idea, would be perfect if you lived in say, Kilmalcolm, and you were heading to Glasgow in the morning, you could do that.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It is a certainly smart idea, would be perfect if you lived in say, Kilmalcolm, and you were heading to Glasgow in the morning, you could do that.
I fully agree. We shouldn't need to do it but it's a good idea to make sure you get the bus. I'd imagine in the likes of Inverkip, Skelmorlie etc it would be pretty handy too especially as the 901 and 906 aren't the most reliable due to the route length.

voidwxrranty

McGill’s have officially announced the withdrawal of the 52 & 530 services, reason stated was due to low passenger numbers.

Service 52 Withdrawal – Barrhead Local Service​

Passenger numbers on this route have only recovered to around 75% of the levels seen before the pandemic, and unfortunately this service was already suffering significant losses pre-Covid. Therefore, the route will be withdrawn with effect from 23rd January, with the last day of operation being Saturday 21st January.

The nearest alternative services are routes 3 or 51 on Glasgow Road or Main Street. The SPT MyBus route M91 is also available for those unable to access regular buses, click here to find out more information about this service.

Service 530 Withdrawal – Kilmacolm to Port Glasgow​

This route, introduced in 2020, has unfortunately suffered from low passenger numbers and has never been able to cover even the basic costs of operation. Therefore, the route will be withdrawn with effect from 23rd January, with the last day of operation being Saturday 21st January.

The early morning and early evening journeys on service X7 will continue to operate to/from Greenock, along with the SPT supported journeys during the later evenings and all day on Sundays.

Last edited by a moderator:

roadierway77

No replacement offered for the 530, which means the loss of a daytime service between Kilmacolm and Port Glasgow. What were passenger numbers like on the old 531 which alternated between terminating at Slaemuir and Kilmacolm; would it be feasible for this to return? Obviously less direct than the current 530 but would reduce some of the losses by serving Slaemuir

sannox

No replacement offered for the 530, which means the loss of a daytime service between Kilmacolm and Port Glasgow. What were passenger numbers like on the old 531 which alternated between terminating at Slaemuir and Kilmacolm; would it be feasible for this to return? Obviously less direct than the current 530 but would reduce some of the losses by serving Slaemuir

For most runs, Kilmacolm would only give you maybe a handful of passengers. I guess it was more justifiable when it picked up a few more in Slaemuir etc. I'm not surprised a non clockface run between Kilmacolm and Port Glasgow failed- broke the connection to Greenock too. I suspect SPT will have to carry the can here too.

The 530 was always a bit of an odd way to run the Kilmacolm service. To be honest, it was too frequent.

If you extended every other 531, making an every 40 mins service up, it could have worked.

Stan Drews

Established Member
The 530 was always a bit of an odd way to run the Kilmacolm service. To be honest, it was too frequent.

If you extended every other 531, making an every 40 mins service up, it could have worked.
The extension of the 531 didn’t work either, and it meant a bus far bigger than was ever justified, was running up and down largely empty. The change to the 530 allowed the use of a more appropriate vehicle with lower running costs, whilst allowing the much busier 531/2/3 to gain newer buses, with brand new Yutong EVs due in the coming months. Covid clearly hasn‘t helped, but Kilmacolm - Port Glasgow is one of those poorly frequented links that is unlikely to ever be commercially viable, particularly when it has to stand on its own, so if they are going to exist they will require local authority (or SPT) support.

roadierway77

The extension of the 531 didn’t work either, and it meant a bus far bigger than was ever justified, was running up and down largely empty. The change to the 530 allowed the use of a more appropriate vehicle with lower running costs, whilst allowing the much busier 531/2/3 to gain newer buses, with brand new Yutong EVs due in the coming months. Covid clearly hasn‘t helped, but Kilmacolm - Port Glasgow is one of those poorly frequented links that is unlikely to ever be commercially viable, particularly when it has to stand on its own, so if they are going to exist they will require local authority (or SPT) support.
But at least the previous iteration of the 531 had a decent load for most of its route between Greenock and Kilmacolm, as I believe even today it's still fairly busy up to Slaemuir, whereas the 530 seems to be running mostly empty for its entire route as it's not really useful to anybody except those who live in Kilmacolm, given it skips past Park Farm and Slaemuir.

Hopefully a deal can be done with SPT to introduce a subsidised service.

Stan Drews

Established Member
But at least the previous iteration of the 531 had a decent load for most of its route between Greenock and Kilmacolm, as I believe even today it's still fairly busy up to Slaemuir, whereas the 530 seems to be running mostly empty for its entire route as it's not really useful to anybody except those who live in Kilmacolm, given it skips past Park Farm and Slaemuir.

Hopefully a deal can be done with SPT to introduce a subsidised service.
The important part was that the 531 had a decent load for MOST of its route i.e. Greenock - Slaemuir. However, the bit from there to Kilmacolm was very quiet, but required one extra bus on the service to fulfill it. Therefore that section of route had to generate enough additional revenue to justify the cost of that extra bus. Converting it to a bus with lower operating costs, gave it the best possible chance to be viable, but has clearly failed.

I understand SPT have requested prices for a potential replacement service, but no decision has been taken yet.

Spt are subsiding the 530 service

Service 530 - Timetable changes​

Mon 23rd Jan onwards
This service will now be financially supported by Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT). However, a small number of journeys will no longer operate.
On Mondays to Fridays the following journey will be withdrawn:
1725 Port Glasgow to Kilmacolm
On Saturdays the following journeys will be withdrawn:
0710, 0810, 0840 Port Glasgow to Kilmacolm
0725, 0825, 0855 Kilmacolm to Port Glasgow

sannox

Not referenced here is the fact it now runs to/from Greenock Depot in the morning and evening, no longer running interlinked with the 545.

The 1725 run was the funny run that ran off to run the X7, seemingly those two (and the 545) no longer interwork.
What happens in the morning between 8 and 9? Only runs on School holidays- is the bus used for a school run elsewhere at that time?

I still think running a direct route between Kilmacolm and Port Glasgow is a strange one, even though I understand the logic it seems like doubling resource on a lot of the route.

What happens in the morning between 8 and 9? Only runs on School holidays- is the bus used for a school run elsewhere at that time?

I still think running a direct route between Kilmacolm and Port Glasgow is a strange one, even though I understand the logic it seems like doubling resource on a lot of the route.
There is indeed a school run around the Park Farm area on the 533 that runs to Newark Primary with the same bus.

PaulMc7

Established Member
One thing that strikes me as an issue with the 530 is the fact it's really not suitable if you work a 9am to 5pm job. I'm not saying that would bring in enough revenue to make it viable but it really doesn't help.

Stan Drews

Established Member
One thing that strikes me as an issue with the 530 is the fact it's really not suitable if you work a 9am to 5pm job. I'm not saying that would bring in enough revenue to make it viable but it really doesn't help.
Previous iterations of the link (X7, 531) have adequately covered that ‘demand’, however passengers numbers were/are minimal.
I can’t imagine many Kilmacolm residents will be commuting to Port Glasgow, for a 9 to 5 job either!

PaulMc7

Established Member
Previous iterations of the link (X7, 531) have adequately covered that ‘demand’, however passengers numbers were/are minimal.
I can’t imagine many Kilmacolm residents will be commuting to Port Glasgow, for a 9 to 5 job either!
Minimal still isn't zero therefore backing up my point too. Direct routes when they were as short as the 530 is are usually destined to fail too.

The X7 is probably the best service to cover that link but you'd probably have had to make it hourly between Greenock and Glasgow with extra at peaks and then hourly between Linwood and Glasgow to maintain an every 30 minute frequency between that section.

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
Minimal still isn't zero therefore backing up my point too. Direct routes when they were as short as the 530 is are usually destined to fail too.

The X7 is probably the best service to cover that link but you'd probably have had to make it hourly between Greenock and Glasgow with extra at peaks and then hourly between Linwood and Glasgow to maintain an every 30 minute frequency between that section.
They’re definitely not going to reduce the frequency of the busy (and profitable) parts of the X7, in order that full size buses can be redeployed to provide a link that cant justify the operating costs of a small minibus!
Most of the suggestions that have appeared on here, have all been tried before and didn’t work. Therefore the forthcoming scenario of SPT financially supporting the link, using the most cost effective solution, appears to be the best compromise.

fgwrich

Established Member
Are McGills due any more Yutongs? I passed this blue and white one on the M3 heading Northwards on Tuesday morning.

Attachments

• B367E3A3-3D79-45D7-B0D6-0C6770AD1D1D.jpeg
    B367E3A3-3D79-45D7-B0D6-0C6770AD1D1D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 66

sannox

They’re definitely not going to reduce the frequency of the busy (and profitable) parts of the X7, in order that full size buses can be redeployed to provide a link that cant justify the operating costs of a small minibus!
Most of the suggestions that have appeared on here, have all been tried before and didn’t work. Therefore the forthcoming scenario of SPT financially supporting the link, using the most cost effective solution, appears to be the best compromise.

I agree, it was only likely to do that. Personally, I can't help feel the 530 is providing a link without really serving what people want. Many SPT services do this - focus on covering an area rather than meeting where people want to go in that area.

Are McGills due anymore Yutongs? I passed this blue and white one on the M3 heading Northwards on Tuesday morning.

I think they are. There was an order for 10 E10s and more E12s. On the M3 - do they come in

Stan Drews

Established Member
Are McGills due any more Yutongs? I passed this blue and white one on the M3 heading Northwards on Tuesday morning.
Yes, a further 41 are due. This is one of the shorter E10 versions, which I think are due for the ‘Upper Port’ services 531/2/3 in Inverclyde.

PaulMc7

Established Member
3 new registrations have gone through VOSA:

• PM0000015/329 Registered (Short notice)​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Larkfield Industrial Estate, Earnhill Road or Port Glasgow, Church Street to Kilmacolm, Bridge of Weir Road
    Service number: 530
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 22 Jan 2023
  • PM0000015/253 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Inverclyde Royal Hospital to Gourock McInroy's Point
    Service number: 545
    Effective date: 26 Feb 2023
  • PM0000015/262 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Larkfield Ind Estate to McInroy's Point via Gourock Station Road
    Service number: 803

Stan Drews

Established Member
3 new registrations have gone through VOSA:

• PM0000015/329 Registered (Short notice)​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Larkfield Industrial Estate, Earnhill Road or Port Glasgow, Church Street to Kilmacolm, Bridge of Weir Road
    Service number: 530
    Effective date: 22 Jan 2023
  • PM0000015/253 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Inverclyde Royal Hospital to Gourock McInroy's Point
    Service number: 545
  • PM0000015/262 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Larkfield Ind Estate to McInroy's Point via Gourock Station Road
    Service number: 803
Only the 530 is new, the others are variations.

The 530 is now a SPT tender, after the commercial service registration was cancelled.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Only the 530 is new, the others are variations.

The 530 is now a SPT tender, after the commercial service registration was cancelled.
I meant new as in new registrations today and not new services. My apologies if that wasn't clear in the original post.

The new 530 extension to the depot was a surprise addition, but actually kind of convenient for me as going from Kilmacolm to Greenock and waiting in Port Glasgow in the cold can get to you sometimes, and the 1700 journey does work for some occasions.

The 52 service will continue to operate

52 Service Withdrawal Delayed​

Today Fri 20th Jan 2023

Service 52 – Barrhead Local Service - Withdrawal Delayed​

McGill’s have agreed to delay the withdrawal of the 52 service to allow further consultation with the local community. The service will therefore continue to operate from Monday 23 January until further notice.

Last edited by a moderator: