• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and Eastern Scottish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene Hunt

The number of cancellations in the Eastern Scottish area is back increasing every day. No point in doing all those cuts if things are going to revert to how they were before but with even less service.
That's because drivers are still leaving. Yes, drivers come through the academy but within a few weeks the rot sets in. I had 13 years at Livingston. It's never going to improve; £12.95 an hour is just not good enough and shifts, from what I'm told, are still poor. As for flexible working...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

computerSaysNo

Established Member
The number of cancellations in the Eastern Scottish area is back increasing every day. No point in doing all those cuts if things are going to revert to how they were before but with even less service.
Have they said the main reason for it this time (i.e. lack of staff or lack of working vehicles)?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Have they said the main reason for it this time (i.e. lack of staff or lack of working vehicles)?
Surely it has to be the former this time? Especially given all of the vehicles that Livingston has picked up recently. More cuts aren’t an option now so recruitment is key for McGill’s.

delt1c

Established Member
And this after we were assured the full timetable would operate. How can the travelling public have any faith in the current operator?

Ding Ding

That's because drivers are still leaving. Yes, drivers come through the academy but within a few weeks the rot sets in. I had 13 years at Livingston. It's never going to improve; £12.95 an hour is just not good enough and shifts, from what I'm told, are still poor. As for flexible working...
The situation at McGill's Livingston, in my opinion, can only get worse. £12.95 is not going to cut it as far as recruitment is concerned. Lothian Country pay more and are in wage negotiations at the moment, so the gap will only increase. The fact that you have stated that you did 13yrs, and I assume you have left, says it all. The amount of agency drivers is also a huge concern, when they find out the crap they have to take from the travelling public, allied to, crap shifts, and lets face it at the moment, the same shoddy vehicles, then there is no wonder there is a shortage of staff and more cancellations. I think McGill's Eastern Scottish are a basket case, and can only get worse. It doesn't matter that the owners have deep pockets, they will not throw money at an operation that is, in my opinion, not worth investing in. It would help the situation meantime, if they concentrated purely on West Lothian routes, instead of running buses into Edinburgh, which would free up drivers, allowing them to provide the service they said they would provide. They are pulling buses on services where there is no alternative, leaving passengers with no service, which is totally unacceptable. This is my opinion, and I have no allegiance to any company, so don't expect anyone jumping all over it.

stevenedin

Established Member
It’s a shame the way it is going but I think that it would be very hard to turn it around in terms of customer confidence.

The only thing I think which could work but may not be an option is if they teamed up with one or more of the other operators in West Lothian operating under the same brand similar to how Scottish City Link works with various operators.

delt1c

Established Member
The situation at McGill's Livingston, in my opinion, can only get worse. £12.95 is not going to cut it as far as recruitment is concerned. Lothian Country pay more and are in wage negotiations at the moment, so the gap will only increase. The fact that you have stated that you did 13yrs, and I assume you have left, says it all. The amount of agency drivers is also a huge concern, when they find out the crap they have to take from the travelling public, allied to, crap shifts, and lets face it at the moment, the same shoddy vehicles, then there is no wonder there is a shortage of staff and more cancellations. I think McGill's Eastern Scottish are a basket case, and can only get worse. It doesn't matter that the owners have deep pockets, they will not throw money at an operation that is, in my opinion, not worth investing in. It would help the situation meantime, if they concentrated purely on West Lothian routes, instead of running buses into Edinburgh, which would free up drivers, allowing them to provide the service they said they would provide. They are pulling buses on services where there is no alternative, leaving passengers with no service, which is totally unacceptable. This is my opinion, and I have no allegiance to any company, so don't expect anyone jumping all over it.
Totally agree, unfortunately the losers are the passengers and the drivers.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Alex Hornby has shared a picture of 3360, which is now in Midland Bluebird livery, though the paint job isn't quite finished yet. Looks very smart.

Source: https://twitter.com/alexhornbybus/status/1666446811425382401?t=mcaNCehyLy_Vrjg3uIMdQA&s=19
and Ralph Roberts has posted this photo of 3356 and 3331: https://twitter.com/NoConceptOfTime/status/1666450812086767621/photo/1
They (Citaro's 3356 & 3331) also suit this one (livery)
FyBsLPoXsAYFyQM

LucyP

On Moderation
So Hornby seems to be good at getting buses painted, but not so good at actually running them in service on the road? Less paint, more staff needed. Same old story.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
So Hornby seems to be good at getting buses painted, but not so good at actually running them in service on the road? Less paint, more staff needed. Same old story.
If buses are not on the road, they'll be sitting around at the depot. Any ongoing maintenance still has to be carried out, including repaints.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
What's the gearbox and gearbox setup on the McGill's E200MMCs?
Stagecoach are all (as far as I'm aware) set to "very eco" (not sure how many gears though) which seems to give very poor acceleration.

Highland050261

On Moderation
I noticed someone has been removing all the buses on bustimes.org like 8011/8020/2235/8042/8025/8022/
8019/8012 and have apparently been withdrawn due to the arrival of the Enviro 200mmc.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I was in Edinburgh today and noticed the BrightBusTours B9TL Geminis have branding for "Scotland's official open top tour".

What's so "official" about it?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I noticed someone has been removing all the buses on bustimes.org like 8011/8020/2235/8042/8025/8022/
8019/8012 and have apparently been withdrawn due to the arrival of the Enviro 200mmc.
2235 never came east in the first place. Dont believe bustimes gen though unless its edited by an employee as its not accurate

It's the chap that withdrew eclipses because he was "told my management" that they were. Half of them ran a couple days later.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Considering Alex Hornby had absolutely no involvement in the transfer and repainting of buses from MSW to MSE, that’s just a pointless comment!

overthewater

Established Member
I think part of the problem is Mcgill ended up with 2 extra buses run to cover, with the council contracts, making 4 extra duties?

Metal Mickey

Are the 11-plate Single Deck Volvos transferred earlier this year from the Clydeside area to Midland Bluebird E6 compliant and therefore permitted to operate within Glasgow LEZ?

The reason I ask is that I noticed one last night on Cathedral Street bound for Falkirk on the X37.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Are the 11-plate Single Deck Volvos transferred earlier this year from the Clydeside area to Midland Bluebird E6 compliant and therefore permitted to operate within Glasgow LEZ?

The reason I ask is that I noticed one last night on Cathedral Street bound for Falkirk on the X37.
Yes, they all had Euro6 upgrades.

Yes, quite often hear the fans roaring on them

PaulMc7

Established Member
I saw a Citaro on the X10 earlier(3360) and in terms of the new livery, the Citaros suit it the best so far in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It was tracking as 3360 on the app too. I had to check that as I didn't catch the fleet number.
The app and bustimes use the exact same data source so it doesn't matter which one you use, if a vehicle is tracking incorrectly on one it'll be tracking incorrectly on the other.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The app and bustimes use the exact same data source so it doesn't matter which one you use, if a vehicle is tracking incorrectly on one it'll be tracking incorrectly on the other.
I know. The app being wrong doesn't surprise me to be honest. It seems to take a while to be correct with new vehicles into service too.

Status
Not open for further replies.