• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and Eastern Scottish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InOban

Established Member
Since it's the government which pays for our free tickets, I guess it's up to them to decide whether NECs are valid. The fact that they can be used on coaches as well as buses is government policy, not a decision by the bus companies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Let's not get into an in-depth discussion about entitlement cards; it's a distraction from the main thread topic. Thanks :)

BwniCymraeg

At present, there are 2 vehicles and drivers required for the 35. By cutting the route at Kilsyth, it would not save anything as the buses pass each other around Haggs.

There would still be a long layover at Kilsyth.
I can confirm this fact on my first post timetable change trip as I stand here waiting for the (late) Canavans bus to Croy, with the 35 having gone past to sit on the other side of the road, taunting me.

I can confirm this fact on my first post timetable change trip as I stand here waiting for the (late) Canavans bus to Croy, with the 35 having gone past to sit on the other side of the road, taunting me.
I personally think it was going better when it went all the way to Glasgow as an x35.

delt1c

Established Member
Well things here in Livingston area are deteriorating ( if that's possible), cancelations this week getting worse .

mb88

Well things here in Livingston area are deteriorating ( if that's possible), cancelations this week getting worse .
It’s been abundantly clear from day one of the takeover that McGill’s have no interest whatsoever in the Eastern Scottish side of the business. Midland Bluebird has had everything thrown at it with newer vehicles, far quicker rebranding, and significant investment in schemes such as CitySwift. Meanwhile Eastern Scottish has seen swathes of the network cut back or completely abandoned, Sunday services withdrawn entirely, and still unable to run a full service without multiple cuts each day. A sad state of affairs and indicative of the worst aspects of the privatised bus industry we have in this country.

roadierway77

It’s been abundantly clear from day one of the takeover that McGill’s have no interest whatsoever in the Eastern Scottish side of the business. Midland Bluebird has had everything thrown at it with newer vehicles, far quicker rebranding, and significant investment in schemes such as CitySwift. Meanwhile Eastern Scottish has seen swathes of the network cut back or completely abandoned, Sunday services withdrawn entirely, and still unable to run a full service without multiple cuts each day. A sad state of affairs and indicative of the worst aspects of the privatised bus industry we have in this country.
I agree wholeheartedly. Obviously the prioritisation of Bluebird makes sense from a business and commercial point of view, but a passenger should ideally receive the same level of service regardless of whether they're in Falkirk or Livingston, and unfortunately that just isn't the case. I imagine all Eastern will get in the near future is a very slow transition away from First liveries, whereas I would definitely not be surprised if Falkirk/Stirling received electric buses at some point - if McGill’s decides to bid for funding from ScotZEB 2 then I would expect orders to focus on Bluebird and Xplore, as the western operation has more than its fair share of electrics now. Eastern will take an indefinite back seat and I worry that McGill's will pull a First at some point and attempt to pull out completely.

mb88

I agree wholeheartedly. Obviously the prioritisation of Bluebird makes sense from a business and commercial point of view, but a passenger should ideally receive the same level of service regardless of whether they're in Falkirk or Livingston, and unfortunately that just isn't the case.
Oh absolutely. And don’t get me wrong I’m not even criticising McGill’s as such, they are a business after all and have to concentrate resources on the most profitable areas. My problem is with the privatised, deregulated system we are unfortunate stuck with. I can’t think of a single other country with such a system for their public transport. I mean even the USA, that bastion of capitalism and the free market, has publicly owned buses. It beggars belief that we don’t. But there again we are a country that’s sold off its water to the private sector so anything goes! However, I digress. Hopefully some semblance of a functional network can be established in West Lothian, whether that involves both McGill’s and Lothian Country or one or the other.

Butts

Veteran Member
I had occasion to use the X37 City swift between Falkirk and Glasgow this morning, first service of the day at 0521 and it was bang on time.

First time I have used the X37 since First days and was not disappointed

The First charabanc has been replaced by a modern Airport Type Bus that ironically First themselves use on the subsequent 500 I caught to Glasgow Airport.

Journey time is not much more than the train from Falkirk Grahamston and walk up to Buchanan Street, plus it costs me nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh absolutely. And don’t get me wrong I’m not even criticising McGill’s as such, they are a business after all and have to concentrate resources on the most profitable areas. My problem is with the privatised, deregulated system we are unfortunate stuck with. I can’t think of a single other country with such a system for their public transport. I mean even the USA, that bastion of capitalism and the free market, has publicly owned buses. It beggars belief that we don’t. But there again we are a country that’s sold off its water to the private sector so anything goes! However, I digress. Hopefully some semblance of a functional network can be established in West Lothian, whether that involves both McGill’s and Lothian Country or one or the other.
My thinking is that McGill's will slowly pull away from West Lothian and allow other operators like Lothina Country slowly take over serving areas and eventually take over services and then at some point Eastern Scottish will end up just being Lothian Country or some other operator that is invested in West Lothian, I personally think that it will be Lothian Country that takes over Eastern Scottish when it happens because as they are part of the Lothian group they are invested in serving West Lothian and they do everything in their power and resources to provide frequent and reliable routes for West Lothian while McGill's are just trying to run the "bare minimum".

Baileygirl

My thinking is that McGill's will slowly pull away from West Lothian and allow other operators like Lothina Country slowly take over serving areas and eventually take over services and then at some point Eastern Scottish will end up just being Lothian Country or some other operator that is invested in West Lothian, I personally think that it will be Lothian Country that takes over Eastern Scottish when it happens because as they are part of the Lothian group they are invested in serving West Lothian and they do everything in their power and resources to provide frequent and reliable routes for West Lothian while McGill's are just trying to run the "bare minimum".
Facebook advert today for Eastern Scottish states "we are growing and recruiting ". Have they won some of the West Lothian Council tenders apart from the 21 and 23?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Facebook advert today for Eastern Scottish states "we are growing and recruiting ". Have they won some of the West Lothian Council tenders apart from the 21 and 23?
Nothing new on registrations thus far, only the Sunday 31 cancellation has been put up which to me indicates they haven't won anything but we'll have to wait and see.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I've seen that phrase quite a while ago, I guess it could possibly tempt jobseekers who know nothing about the company.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I've seen that phrase quite a while ago, I guess it could possibly tempt jobseekers who know nothing about the company.
In all fairness they didn't exactly state what it is that is growing, for all we know they could be talking about the service cancellations list!

Does anyone know what conditions Livingston vehicles are now in?

Is the depot still littered with old buses?

Have the Streetlite Derates been fixed??

Volvodart

Established Member
Nothing new on registrations thus far, only the Sunday 31 cancellation has been put up which to me indicates they haven't won anything but we'll have to wait and see.
The contracts are only officially established today after the post award period when someone could object to the award (in theory), so registrations should be soon after today.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Does anyone know what conditions Livingston vehicles are now in?

Is the depot still littered with old buses?

Have the Streetlite Derates been fixed??
I saw a few photos from last month and the back section of the depot was littered with RLEs, some of which have been off the road for years.

overthewater

Established Member

The next route which might get the chop would be the X24, it's never got anyone on it for most of the day, unlike the X38.

I saw a few photos from last month and the back section of the depot was littered with RLEs, some of which have been off the road for years.
The Falkirk depot is just as bad it's filled with SORN buses

WestieBus

The next route which might get the chop would be the X24, it's never got anyone on it for most of the day, unlike the X38.

The Falkirk depot is just as bad it's filled with SORN buses
The X38 is run by Bluebird though, and serves Falkirk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did First run any night services to Falkirk or Stirling? and would a Midland Bluebird night services be something people would want?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Did First run any night services to Falkirk or Stirling? and would a Midland Bluebird night services be something people would want?
No and possibly but if so it would be a very very small minority and nothing that would work in the real world

there is little potential for something to be successful or used at all.

Buses year on year increasingly become less attractive as a transport option during the day hours let alone between 12 & 6am.

gingerheid

Established Member

Buses year on year increasingly become less attractive as a transport option during the day hours let alone between 12 & 6am.
I know Ember aren't a normal bus company (and Dundee is a bigger place), but it never stops surprising me how busy they are over night!

Currently they have 38 people leaving Glasgow and 25 people leaving Edinburgh on four buses between 0000 and 0600 tomorrow!

overthewater

Established Member

Yes they did, 44N, remember that? it was operated by the Linlithgow Depot. Two journeys around 1am and 3am from Edinburgh along the X38 route to Falkirk and return every Friday and Saturday night.

Why are the E400 MMC's only being repainted into the base colours and not the full Midland Bluebird livery?, 8936 and 8938 only have half of it on.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Why are the E400 MMC's only being repainted into the base colours and not the full Midland Bluebird livery?, 8936 and 8938 only have half of it on.
My guess is that these will be put into UniLink branding which may not yet be finalized, assuming they have changed their minds on operating Citaros on it, or don't yet have the vinyls ready as the buses are shorter.

Last edited:

roadierway77

There definitely isn't the demand for all night services like Glasgow or Edinburgh but if you time a night bus to leave when pubs/clubs close it could have potential, though there is of course the risk of antisocial behaviour and vandalism. Market it well and charge a slight premium and it may possibly work, but McGill’s will definitely have higher priorities right now and projects that are more likely to bring in money.

Darklord8899

Yes they did, 44N, remember that? it was operated by the Linlithgow Depot. Two journeys around 1am and 3am from Edinburgh along the X38 route to Falkirk and return every Friday and Saturday night.

IIRC, the service operated Edinburgh - Falkirk - Linlithgow

The first departure from Edinburgh arrived as the last inbound X38
can't remember if the 2nd N44 came into Edinburgh as an N44 from Linlithgow or not

My guess is that these will be put into UniLink branding which may not yet be finalized, assuming they have changed their minds on operating Citaros on it, or don't yet have the vinyls ready as the buses are shorter.
Would there be demand for double deckers on the UniLink?

Stan Drews

Established Member
In Stirling the Unilink service (UL) has had night buses for many years.

The low height E400MMCs are no longer required on the X10/X10A, since the new Stirling school contracts, so the Citaros can now be allocated there, where they are ideally suited to the route. The final term at Uni is usually the quietest as well, so the Citaros were able to cope much more easily in the spring months, when they first transferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.