• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and Eastern Scottish)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be good if 8936 and 8937 were with Unilink with new branding so there could be spares, with the rest of the 65 plates going with the standard Midland Bluebird livery. Repainting all of 8942-8951 into the Cityswift livery would also be ideal as the X37/38 get around 10 buses a day altogether (though some coming from other routes), it is important to note that spares are needed so 10 is a sweet spot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Repainting all of 8942-8951 into the Cityswift livery would also be ideal as the X37/38 get around 10 buses a day altogether (though some coming from other routes), it is important to note that spares are needed so 10 is a sweet spot.
Assuming you mean the X36 and X37 (as the X38 cannot use double deckers), they have a combined PVR of 6 so having 10 buses branded would make no sense. And any spares should be unbranded as you'd end up with branded buses off-route every day.

Assuming you mean the X36 and X37 (as the X38 cannot use double deckers), they have a combined PVR of 6 so having 10 buses branded would make no sense. And any spares should be unbranded as you'd end up with branded buses off-route every day.
How come I counted more together then?

overthewater

Established Member
IIRC, the service operated Edinburgh - Falkirk - Linlithgow

The first departure from Edinburgh arrived as the last inbound X38
can't remember if the 2nd N44 came into Edinburgh as an N44 from Linlithgow or not

44N route: 1 bus operation, operated by Linlithgow depot, Dep Edinburgh as 00.30 and 03.00

Edinburgh - route X38 to Linlithgow - Bo'ness - Grangemouth - Falkirk, and did follow the same route back Last bus from Falkirk as around 4.15

I think this went around 2012 the 44N went but new night service Edinburgh - South Queensferry - Kirkliston - Linlithgow, can anyone remember that?

Voyager lad

Went from Linlithgow - Livingston on the Sundays only 31 for the first time today. 11 of us on it from Linlithgow, up to 23 by Uphall. Very sad to see it going in October when it’s actually quite well used - and it seemed a 50/50 split between concession cards and people paying a fare

Jordan Adam

Established Member
44N route: 1 bus operation, operated by Linlithgow depot, Dep Edinburgh as 00.30 and 03.00

Edinburgh - route X38 to Linlithgow - Bo'ness - Grangemouth - Falkirk, and did follow the same route back Last bus from Falkirk as around 4.15

I think this went around 2012 the 44N went but new night service Edinburgh - South Queensferry - Kirkliston - Linlithgow, can anyone remember that?
Was there any reason behind the 44N numbering? Seems rather random given the 44 (which Scotland East operated at the time) was a completely unrelated route.

Was there any reason behind the 44N numbering? Seems rather random given the 44 (which Scotland East operated at the time) was a completely unrelated route.
Going back a generation, the 42, 43 and 44 were bus numbers between Edinburgh and Bo'ness via the A90 & South Queensferry so probably something to do with that. Not sure exactly when the 44N started but have a recollection of something like this operating at weekends in the mid-1980s, probably using the A90 route but I don't know for sure as I think it later used the A8 (similar to the 38). I don't think the 44 between Balerno and East Lothian was around at that time. The old 52 to Balerno was replaced by 64, 65 and 66 numbers when the route extended to Penicuik, then eventually the Balerno routes copied LRT's 44, which is when SMT or Grampian introduced a day service with the same route number.
Anyway I believe there was a time when this 44N from First and the N44 from Lothian both ran along Princes Street and Shandwick Place, which may have led to surprises amongst those who had over-indulged during the evening.
Yes, if I remember rightly that was the 43N (or perhaps N43). The route was a bit unusual because from Barnton it went straight out the A90 to Echline then made a clockwise loop around South Queensferry before heading out to Kirkliston, Winchburgh etc to Linlithgow.

muffy

Yes. I remember the various iterations of the 44N.

The mid-late 90's version was Edinburgh-South Queensferry-Kirkliston-Linlithgow-Bo'ness-Grangemouth-Falkirk-Polmont-Linlithgow then light to Edinburgh when I lived in Larbert.

The last version I remember was when I lived in South Gyle, was going on the Falkirk-Grangemouth-Bo'ness-Linlithgow-Kirkliston-Edinburgh journey and I was the nearly always the only passenger on board.

My idea for a Midland Bluebird night service is as goes

N36 - Glasgow - Cumbernauld - Denny - Stirling then return direct via M80

N37 - Glasgow - Cumbernauld - Bonnybridge - Camelon - Falkirk then return direct via M9 & M80

N38 - Edinburgh - Kirkliston - Winchburgh - Linlithgow - Bo'ness - Grangemouth - Falkirk - Bannockburn - Stirling then return direct via M9

These may be farfetched and imaginary but in my opinion I think these may have a benefit if they where real.

Voyager lad

For a while I’ve wondered if it would be better to have the 38 run Stirling - Linlithgow (terminating in the Springfield estate) and that way it could be decker operated throughout? The X38 could then run Edinburgh - Linlithgow and possibly have one an hour extend to Bo’Ness and the other one run to somewhere like Redding, taking in a lot of the former route of the 1 between Linlithgow and Maddiston

For a while I’ve wondered if it would be better to have the 38 run Stirling - Linlithgow (terminating in the Springfield estate) and that way it could be decker operated throughout? The X38 could then run Edinburgh - Linlithgow and possibly have one an hour extend to Bo’Ness and the other one run to somewhere like Redding, taking in a lot of the former route of the 1 between Linlithgow and Maddiston
When you start to divide an already relatively low frequency between suburbs to an even lower hourly frequency a service becomes even less desirable to use.

Much of the area is highly car orientated now.

cammyeaston

When you start to divide an already relatively low frequency between suburbs to an even lower hourly frequency a service becomes even less desirable to use.

Much of the area is highly car orientated now.
It's an interesting proposition though. I've not travelled on the X38 for some years now, but how busy is the service from west of Linlithgow into Edinburgh? Surely the journey time alone dissuades anyone from Falkirk or Polmont which is why the rail line dominates those markets?

A reliable Edinburgh to Linlithgow service would be a massive benefit to those in Winchburgh and Kirkliston.

This is purely a speculative opinion of course, as I say its been a good while since I've bussed it in these parts.

Baileygirl

The 38 is decker operated so extending it to Linlithgow is just putting the problem to the opposite end, as deckers would not get under the low bridge.The origonal X38 was split to allow deckers to be used between Falkirk and Stirling

matchmaker

Established Member
Would there be demand for double deckers on the UniLink?
UL can be one of the busiest services in Stirling. At the stop opposite the railway station there can be a long queue at some times. It's not necessarily only students that use it - it serves Causewayhead as well. I sometimes use it to get to Cornton as the 54 has now been reduced to one bus an hour.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The 38/X38 as they are now work well and from my own observations the frequency does generally match demand. I don't see much point or benefit changing them drastically just now, although hopefully as the driver situation improves the X38 can be increased to a 20 minute frequency.

Last edited:
The 38/X38 as they are now work well and, from my own observations, the frequency does generally match demand. I don't see much point or benefit changing them drastically just now, although hopefully as the driver situation improves the 38 can be increased to a 20 minute frequency.
The 38 is already at a 20 minute frequency.

roadierway77

4108 is now in Midland Bluebird livery - the first 200MMC to receive the new colour scheme. 4107 has also apparently been painted but isn't back on the road yet.

roadierway77

More Midland Bluebird Buses repainted with no new Eastern Scottish ones yet.
Yep, 0468 is still the only one - besides 8951 of course which is in the original Eastern livery. There are a few Streetlites that haven't tracked in a week or two which may suggest they're being painted but it's impossible to tell until they show up somewhere in a green coat - they may just be undergoing routine maintenance.

Stan Drews

Established Member
UL can be one of the busiest services in Stirling. At the stop opposite the railway station there can be a long queue at some times. It's not necessarily only students that use it - it serves Causewayhead as well. I sometimes use it to get to Cornton as the 54 has now been reduced to one bus an hour.
The 54 goes back to every 30mins from next week, along with the increased term time UL frequency.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Don't suppose anyone knows whether McGill's offer part-time driver training and how long they usually take to respond to enquiries? I sent an enquiry on the 25th of August which has had no response and I applied for a role and sent another enquiry on the 30th of August which has also had no response.
This is all while there are 70 (seventy) full- or part-cancelations of journeys today just from Livingston garage.

McGill's Buses said:
Short Notice Journey Cancellations
We’re sorry to let you know that some journeys are unable to run today, as shown below. This is due to a continuing shortage of drivers, which is impacting operators across the sector.
[...]
Eastern Scottish

Thursday 7th September​

Service 20

Chesser to Ratho​

via Wester Hailes, Gyle Centre & Ingliston​

12:27Gyle CentreToChesser Corn ExchangeJourney will terminate at Gyle Centre at 12:27
13:53Chesser corn exchangeToRatho, Hallcroft parkFull Journey Cancelled
15:02Ratho,Hallcroft ParkToChesser Corn ExchangeJourney will start from Gyle Centre at 15:27

Thursday 7th September​

Service 21

Blackridge to Livingston (South Station)​

via Armadale, Bathgate, Blackburn & Livingston Centre​

06:00Bathgate South BridgeToLivingston the centreFull Journey Cancelled
06:30Livingston the CentreToBlackridgeFull Journey Cancelled
07:29BlackridgeToLivingston south stationFull Journey Cancelled
08:57Livingston south stationToBlackridgeFull Journey Cancelled
10:29BlackridgeToLivingston south stationJourney will start from Easter Inch at 10:56

Thursday 7th September

Service 23

Shotts/Whitburn to Broxburn​

via Blackburn, St Johns Hospital, Livingston Centre, Craigshill & Uphall​

06:07Whitburn RigghouseToBroxburn kilpuntFull Journey Cancelled
07:28Seafield post officeToShottsFull Journey Cancelled
07:45Broxburn kilpuntToWhitburn RigghouseFull Journey Cancelled
08:15Broxburn kilpuntToLivingston St johnsJourney will terminate at Livingston Village at 09:13
08:32shottsToBroxburn kilpuntFull Journey Cancelled
09:30Whitburn RigghouseToBroxburn kilpuntFull Journey Cancelled
10:30Whitburn RigghouseToBroxburn kilpuntFull Journey Cancelled
10:32shottsToBroxburn kilpuntJourney will start from Livingston Village at 11:33
10:45Broxburn kilpuntToWhitburn RigghouseJourney will terminate at Livingston Village at 11:43
12:30Whitburn RigghouseToBroxburn kilpuntFull Journey Cancelled
13:32shottsToBroxburn kilpuntJourney will terminate at Livingston Village at 14:33
15:32shottsToBroxburn kilpuntJourney will terminate at Livingston Village at 16:33
15:45Broxburn kilpuntToWhitburn RigghouseJourney will start from Livingston Village at 16:33
17:48Broxburn kilpuntToLivingston the centreFull Journey Cancelled

Thursday 7th September​

Service 26

Livingston (North Station) to Bathgate​

via St Johns Hospital, Livingston Centre, West Calder, Fauldhouse & Whitburn
06:52Livingston North StationToBathgate South BridgeFull Journey Cancelled
08:41Bathgate South BridgeToLivingston North StationFull Journey Cancelled
09:40Livingston North StationToBathgate South BridgeFull Journey Cancelled
10:11Bathgate South BridgeToLivingston North StationFull Journey Cancelled
11:11Bathgate South BridgeToLivingston North StationFull Journey Cancelled
11:41Bathgate South BridgeToLivingston North StationFull Journey Cancelled
12:10Livingston North StationToBathgate South BridgeFull Journey Cancelled
13:10Livingston North StationToBathgate South BridgeFull Journey Cancelled
14:40Livingston North StationToBathgate South BridgeFull Journey Cancelled
15:40Livingston North StationToBathgate South BridgeFull Journey Cancelled
15:41Bathgate South BridgeToLivingston North StationFull Journey Cancelled
16:41Bathgate South BridgeToLivingston North StationFull Journey Cancelled
17:40Livingston North StationToBathgate South BridgeFull Journey Cancelled
17:41Bathgate South BridgeToLivingston North StationFull Journey Cancelled

Thursday 7th September​

Service X22

Livingston to Edinburgh​

via East Calder, Wilkieston, Hermiston & Saughton
06:30Livingston the CentreToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
07:20Livingston the CentreToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
07:40Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston the centreFull Journey Cancelled
08:40Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston the centreFull Journey Cancelled
09:30Livingston the CentreToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
10:40Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston the centreFull Journey Cancelled
12:00Livingston the CentreToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
13:00Livingston the CentreToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
13:10Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston the centreFull Journey Cancelled
14:00Livingston the CentreToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
14:10Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston the centreFull Journey Cancelled
14:30Livingston the CentreToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
15:10Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston the centreFull Journey Cancelled
15:40Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston the centreFull Journey Cancelled
16:00Livingston the CentreToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
16:30Livingston the CentreToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
17:10Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston the centreFull Journey Cancelled
17:40Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston the centreFull Journey Cancelled
18:35Livingston the CentreToEast calder, langton roadFull Journey Cancelled

Thursday 7th September

X24 Service

Livingston (St Johns Hospital) to Edinburgh​

via Livingston Centre, Uphall, Broxburn & Corstorphine Road
05:53Livingston St johnsToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
06:44Livingston St johnsToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
07:20Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston St johnsFull Journey Cancelled
07:31Broxburn kilpuntToLivingston St johnsFull Journey Cancelled
08:17Livingston St johnsToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
08:20Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston St johnsFull Journey Cancelled
08:49Livingston St johnsToEdinburgh Regent roadJourney will terminate at Livingston Centre at 08:58
09:49Livingston St johnsToEdinburgh Regent roadJourney will start at Broxburn Kilpunt at 10:31
09:50Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston St johnsFull Journey Cancelled
11:19Livingston sToEdinburgh Regent roadJourney will start at Broxburn Kilpunt at 12:01
13:50Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston St johnsJourney will terminate at Broxburn Kilpunt at 14:31
15:19Livingston St johnsToEdinburgh Regent roadFull Journey Cancelled
16:50Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston St johnsFull Journey Cancelled
18:25Livingston St johnsToBroxburn kilpuntJourney will terminate at Broxburn Kilpunt at 19:01
19:55Edinburgh Regent roadToLivingston St johnsFull Journey Cancelled

Don't suppose anyone knows whether McGill's offer part-time driver training and how long they usually take to respond to enquiries? I sent an enquiry on the 25th of August which has had no response and I applied for a role and sent another enquiry on the 30th of August which has also had no response.
This is all while there are 70 (seventy) full- or part-cancelations of journeys today just from Livingston garage.
I’ve had a similar experience this week.

Ding Ding

I’ve had a similar experience this week.
Can I ask why you would be interested in a position with McGill's, when Lothian Country offer £2 an hour more, and also have a part time rota
I ask because it seems a no brainer, given the above, and the fact they have so many cancellations. It doesn't bode well for any sort of job security going forward.

Can I ask why you would be interested in a position with McGill's, when Lothian Country offer £2 an hour more, and also have a part time rota
I ask because it seems a no brainer, given the above, and the fact they have so many cancellations. It doesn't bode well for any sort of job security going forward.
I’m an agency driver, the agency mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago they were looking.

The agency hasn’t got a response either.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Lothian Country offer £2 an hour more, and also have a part time rota
Lothian Country as you said have a part-time rota post-training, however they are not able to offer the training itself as part-time; they offer full-time training only.

delt1c

Established Member
The Livingston cancelations have increased dramatically, to the point you only go for a bus if you really have to. McGills have decimated the services and I doubt they can ever get public confidence back. The general feeling here by the public is to see the back of Mc Gills and let an operator who cares run the services.

The Livingston cancelations have increased dramatically, to the point you only go for a bus if you really have to. McGills have decimated the services and I doubt they can ever get public confidence back. The general feeling here by the public is to see the back of Mc Gills and let an operator who cares run the services.
I personally do think, as has been suggested before, that they should consolidate what drivers and routes they do have to just operating around West Lothian via the likes of Almondvale, North & South Rail Stations, and industrial estates for workers, including Tesco distribution centre and St John’s.

Those looking to go to Edinburgh already have viable solutions from Lothian Country.

Lothian Country as you said have a part-time rota post-training, however they are not able to offer the training itself as part-time; they offer full-time training only.
Don’t get me wrong that McGills competitor in the area is pretty much superior in most ways, particularly when it comes to drivers wages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.