• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

smtglasgow

I guess McGills are well placed to pick up any tenders. Some of the Monklands routes will probably appeal to the surviving independents in the area. Interesting to see McGills picking up tenders which seem quite remote from any depot – presumably the 64/164/364 are going to work from Coatbridge?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
217 and 232 Will not be replace as United runs on it. I would be surprised if no one picks up some of the other work.

goldisgood

It'd be much better for the users if one of the Big Four take McGill's network.

First and Stagecoach both have presences close by, but First aren't in expansion mode. Stagecoach could expand their West Scotland operations into Renfrewshire and plug the gap between their Glasgow and Ayrshire networks. Go-Ahead were rumoured to be taking over a few years ago, but the Easdales had an unrealistic sale price.

And what of Arriva. Would they want their old area back now that it's been purged of the small independents? For me they'd be the preferred option.
Arriva's cancelling order makes me think there's something going on behind the scenes - I can't see them expanding. Stagecoach would be my bet, I doubt there'd be any issues with the MMC.

AlexanderPS

PM0000015/236 Cancelled
MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD

Route: West Nile Street, Glasgow to Stobhill Hospital

Service number: 329

Service type: Normal Stopping

Effective date: 24 Jun 2018

The 329 only became a commercial Monday to Friday after First won the contract and McNairn registered it commercially.

Sure it was Monday to Sunday tender with Henderson Travel and Skyline.(may be wrong though)

AlexanderPS

* 6603S3 337 Beith - Kilmarnock McGill's Bus Service Ltd (7 yr option) operator SPT (1) 7 £427,609.00 £60,919.64 £115,687.52 -£54,767.88
- Old operate Stagecoach
PM0000008/481 Registered (Short notice)
WESTERN BUSES LIMITED

Route: Bus Station, Kilmarnock to The Strand, Beith

Service number: 337 (337)

Service type: Normal Stopping

Effective date: 14 May 2018

Has Stagecoach decided to take this commercially?

Observer

I note that it is a month before the cancellations take place yet it seems no replacements have been registered yet. Are talks still going on with SPT about what to do or is the interest just isn't there?

Anthony ross

I wonder if stagecoach would be willing to take on Any routes that McGill’s are going to give up on

overthewater

Established Member
Why does everyone think Stagecoach will take everything on? The one route which it might possible look at is 247.

Mwanesh

Arriva's cancelling order makes me think there's something going on behind the scenes - I can't see them expanding. Stagecoach would be my bet, I doubt there'd be any issues with the MMC.
There was a report of a partial sell off of Arriva by the DB supervisory board in 2016.This might be the case now.

Observer

Why does everyone think Stagecoach will take everything on? The one route which it might possible look at is 247.
I don't think there's much indication, if any, that they'd be interested in anything. But if the opportunity is there, then surely they should be looking into it?

overthewater

Established Member
Replacements have been found with some work being taken on commercially or via spt. Big Q is who has taken on the work.

Observer

So despite the expectation that other operators would instantly hop on those routes, none of that has happened and it is very likely that once again, McGill's have managed to get SPT to throw money at them to run them.

What does that tell you about all this?

overthewater

Established Member
The talk was a few of the companies were going to take over a few of the routes, not them all. I always believe SPT would have to pay for 202 and 247 = 4 buses with of work. But I'm surprised no one has stepped in for 212 and 213.

What are Mcgills up to? The current SPT tenders will not last the years because it could do a clean sweep and get a better network over all, IE throw in the 312, 16, 77 117 etc. Im still surprised Mcgills have give up on the 217 and 232 and just give United the routes, its not like them just to hand something to someone else...

Its not like them. Will 7 stay every 10mins I doubt it. Also thought Mcgills would be looking to expand the monkland routes and also grab a few other companies like A&J Ballantyne : 5 or Coakley 107/109 companies.

Observer

Yes but you would think that this "talk of a few companies taking some of the routes" would actually mean that it would happen. If any other company wanted them, they'd have it all sorted by now.

Instead it seems, judging by all this, is that nobody was interested in taking any on commercially so SPT have had to throw money at all of the routes (likely to McGill's). So what really went wrong here?

overthewater

Established Member
Yes but you would think that this "talk of a few companies taking some of the routes" would actually mean that it would happen. If any other company wanted them, they'd have it all sorted by now.

Instead it seems, judging by all this, is that nobody was interested in taking any on commercially so SPT have had to throw money at all of the routes (likely to McGill's). So what really went wrong here?

Why didnt the other companies put in bids?

AlexanderPS

overthewater

Established Member
Ok, the Caldercruix service is cut big time, has the train taken alot of the passengers?

Train Fare:
* £2.70 Single
* £2.90 CD return

Mcgills
* ???

* SPT its £2.10 single.

Even the 329 has been cut right back to Hourly, the routes which seem to have managed to cling on are 106, 213, and 247. Even 106 seems over buses with 2, it can be operated with one bus every 30mins. Maybe it should have been clamped on to the 206 so it can still operate to the retail park but still only use one bus?

AlexanderPS

The 106 is covering the same route as the 206. You would think the 206 would come off or they could have just extended the 206. Caldercruix is a big cut.

Last edited:

Observer

So the question should be - why did nobody want to take any of these on commercially? I would suspect there would be some within SPT getting quite annoyed that they've had to throw more money at McGill's to run these.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I'm surprised the 329 has been cut to hourly seeing as it serves Stobhill Hospital. Services to there are few and far between as they are at the moment.

overthewater

Established Member
I'm surprised the 247 has managed to keep its four buses and 30min service. It never busy, I think it has 5-10 passengers per hour doing the Cumbernauld - Monklands route.

overthewater

Established Member
It looks like No77 has been cut and the 16 is fully replacing that aswell, ie the Saturday timetable. If North lanarkshire get any bus controls, Monklands will surely be the first guinea pig

Last edited:

Cesarcollie

So the question should be - why did nobody want to take any of these on commercially? I would suspect there would be some within SPT getting quite annoyed that they've had to throw more money at McGill's to run these.

Perhaps because no one thought they could run them and make a profit?

Observer

http://www.spt.co.uk/corporate/2018/06/spt-steps-in-to-save-local-services-in-coatbridge/
Following the announcement by McGill’s of changes to its commercial bus network in North Lanarkshire*, leaving some areas in the region without vital public transport links, SPT has now arranged to provide services to cover these areas as a temporary measure.

Assistant Chief Executive Valerie Davidson said:

“It is very disappointing that McGill’s has chosen to withdraw a number of commercial services, leaving a number of areas without any transport links. SPT will now ensure that transport links are provided in those areas while monitoring passenger numbers.

“However, we will have to consider in the longer term whether the costs of doing this are affordable if passenger numbers are as low as suggested by McGill’s. This will be assessed against the affordability cost criteria which we are required to apply to all subsidised bus contracts.”

On a temporary basis, SPT will provide the following subsidised services:

– Service 16/117, Carnbroe – Coatbridge – Chapelhall – Salsburgh, operating Monday to Saturday daytime/early evening and Sundays operated by McNairn’s on behalf of SPT

– Service 106/A, Coatbridge – Shawhead – Kirkshaws, operating Monday to Saturday daytime operated by McGill’s on behalf of SPT

– Service 312, Monklands Hospital – Plains – Caldercruix, operating daily daytime and evenings operated by McGill’s on behalf of SPT

– Service 213, Airdrie – Coatbridge – Bargeddie – Glasgow, operating daily daytime and evenings operated by McGill’s on behalf of SPT

– Service 147A/247, Monklands Hospital – Cumbernauld – Kirkintilloch/Kilsyth, operating daily daytime and evenings operated by McGill’s on behalf of SPT

Further information available at: http://www.spt.co.uk/bus/timetables/

*Services to be withdrawn by McGill’s From 25 June:

202 Airdrie to Salsburgh

212 Kirkshaws – Caldercruix

213 Coatbridge – Bargeddie

217 Coatbridge – Townhead

232 Glenboig – Coatbridge

247 Monklands Hospital – Cumbernauld – Kirkintilloch

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Here's a revolutionary thought for SPT. Instead of tendering them out for McGill's to then hoover them up, why dont SPT employ their own drivers and operate them directly..