• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiescott1

The BBC has written an article fact-checking claims made. Interestingly, they directly report on Sweden's situation which I know many forum users have used as a comparative case.

They only fact check the anti lockdown claims. Its a very bias and one sided article

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
They only fact check the anti lockdown claims. Its a very bias and one sided article

It wasn't just "anti-lockdown" claims (some were about death rates and statistically made up data) but it does give evidence (or at the very least says there's no evidence either way) against some more of the outlandish claims.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It wasn't just "anti-lockdown" claims (some were about death rates and statistically made up data) but it does give evidence (or at the very least says there's no evidence either way) against some more of the outlandish claims.
Where was the fact checking against Mary Ramsay's blatant scaremongering on Sunday, where she demanded restrictions for many years to come? I'd say those claims are just as outlandish as what the conspiracy theorists come out with!

brad465

Established Member
The BBC has written an article fact-checking claims made. Interestingly, they directly report on Sweden's situation which I know many forum users have used as a comparative case.

I imagine we won't know for sure yet what the best approach was for years based on future numbers and causes of death, among other measures. Also the ONS suicide stats are not up to date at the moment, especially as Covid has caused delays in coroner reporting of them. We certainly don't have any proper suicide data from them for the winter just gone, and if anything we're now passing through the peak time in a calendar year suicides normally take place in.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I imagine we won't know for sure yet what the best approach was for years based on future numbers and causes of death, among other measures. Also the ONS suicide stats are not up to date at the moment, especially as Covid has caused delays in coroner reporting of them. We certainly don't have any proper suicide data from them for the winter just gone, and if anything we're now passing through the peak time in a calendar year suicides normally take place in.

Yes I agree some data trends will take years to assess. They do at least say there's very little evidence either way and it's very early days.

Where was the fact checking against Mary Ramsay's blatant scaremongering on Sunday, where she demanded restrictions for many years to come? I'd say those claims are just as outlandish as what the conspiracy theorists come out with!

It might be outlandish, but that's reporting a quote from a senior scientist in a formal position. There's no factual evidence to say that can't happen (again I don't agree nor think it likely, but theoretically it could) unlike the other points which can be refuted by data. Probably didn't need to be given the credence it was though.

initiation

+1. It reads a bit like a paid advert.

There is handwavium in that article for example:
However, this is unlikely to have a significant effect on the number of cases,
How do they know this? As far as I am aware there is no study in to it. After all this time we don't even know the real life false positive rate! We know LFTs which mainly focus on those who are infectious have much lower positivity rates than PCR.

and people tend to have a test when they have symptoms.
Err we are average 275,000 PCR tests per day at the moment (plus all the LFTs). How does that fit in with the ZOE study/case data both which suggest ~5,000 new cases per day.

Ediswan

Established Member
There is handwavium in that article for example:
The headline is misleading. This is not a 'fact check' article. The opening paragraph states they are only mentioning 'false and misleading' claims. The 'verdicts' are pre-determined. The usual 'reality check' articles tend to include one or two claims that are declared at least partially true.

kristiang85

Established Member
This is an interesting article from the NYT, showing proof that negativity is emphasised in the media over in the States. I would say we can safely apply these principles to the British media and their reporting too.

Bruce Sacerdote, an economics professor at Dartmouth College, noticed something last year about the Covid-19 television coverage that he was watching on CNN and PBS. It almost always seemed negative, regardless of what was he seeing in the data or hearing from scientists he knew.

When Covid cases were rising in the U.S., the news coverage emphasized the increase. When cases were falling, the coverage instead focused on those places where cases were rising. And when vaccine research began showing positive results, the coverage downplayed it, as far as Sacerdote could tell.

But he was not sure whether his perception was correct. To check, he began working with two other researchers, building a database of Covid coverage from every major network, CNN, Fox News, Politico, The New York Times and hundreds of other sources, in the U.S. and overseas. The researchers then analyzed it with a social-science technique that classifies language as positive, neutral or negative.

The results showed that Sacerdote’s instinct had been right — and not just because the pandemic has been mostly a grim story.

The coverage by U.S. publications with a national audience has been much more negative than coverage by any other source that the researchers analyzed, including scientific journals, major international publications and regional U.S. media. “The most well-read U.S. media are outliers in terms of their negativity,” Molly Cook, a co-author of the study, told me.

About 87 percent of Covid coverage in national U.S. media last year was negative. The share was 51 percent in international media, 53 percent in U.S. regional media and 64 percent in scientific journals.

Notably, the coverage was negative in both U.S. media outlets with liberal audiences (like MSNBC) and those with conservative audiences (like Fox News).

Sacerdote is careful to emphasize that he does not think journalists usually report falsehoods. The issue is which facts they emphasize. Still, the new study — which the National Bureau of Economic Research has published as a working paper, titled, “Why is all Covid-19 news bad news?” — calls for some self-reflection from those of us in the media.

If we’re constantly telling a negative story, we are not giving our audience the most accurate portrait of reality. We are shading it. We are doing a good job telling you why Covid cases are rising in some places and how the vaccines are imperfect — but not such a good job explaining why cases are falling elsewhere or how the vaccines save lives. Perhaps most important, we are not being clear about which Covid developments are truly alarming.

As Ranjan Sehgal, another co-author, told me, “The media is painting a picture that is a little bit different from what the scientists are saying.”

Why the bad-news bias?​

The researchers say they are not sure what explains their findings, but they do have a leading contender: The U.S. media is giving the audience what it wants.

When the researchers examined which stories were the most read or the most shared on Facebook, they tended to be the most negative stories. To put it another way, the stories that people choose to read skew even more negative than the stories that media organizations choose to publish. “Human beings, particularly consumers of major media, like negativity in their stories,” Sacerdote said. “We think the major media are responding to consumer demand.”

That idea is consistent with the patterns in the data, Sacerdote added: It makes sense that national publications have better instincts about reaching a large audience than, say, science journals. And overseas, some of the most influential English-language media organizations — like the BBC — have long received government funding, potentially making them less focused on consumer demand.

All of that sounds plausible to me, but I don’t think it is the full explanation. I have worked in media for nearly three decades, and I think you might be surprised by how little time journalists spend talking about audience size. We care about it, obviously, but most journalists I know care much more about other factors, like doing work that has an impact.

In the modern era of journalism — dating roughly to the Vietnam War and Watergate — we tend to equate impact with asking tough questions and exposing problems. There are some good reasons for that. We are inundated by politicians, business executives, movie stars and others trying to portray themselves in the best light. Our job is to cut through the self-promotion and find the truth. If we don’t tell you the bad news, you may never hear it.

kez19

Established Member
This is an interesting article from the NYT, showing proof that negativity is emphasised in the media over in the States. I would say we can safely apply these principles to the British media and their reporting too.

Even though it stateside it’s pretty much spot on if you to switch it to UK media it’s exactly that.

greyman42

Established Member
Do i just keep missing them, or have the BBC stopped reporting the daily number of hospitalisations attributed to Coronavirus?

Ted633

They are still being reported, usually is one of the 'most read' articles in the evening. They are not usually highlighted on the main page anymore though, which is why you probably miss them. A cynic would say the numbers aren't scary enough anymore to make it a headline...

DB

Which largely ignores the differences in society between Sweden and its neighbours.

That article is typical of the BBC - solely focused on scaremongering with no attempt at balance.

Last edited:

sjpowermac

Established Member
Which largely ignores the differences in society between Sweden and its neighbours.

That article is typical of the BBC - solely focused on scaremongering with no attempt at balance.
What’s your view on Tegnell’s scapegoating of the immigrant population in Sweden?

“Stockholm and these other cities have large populations from other countries, which is important because the spread is greater and faster among these populations,” Tegnell said in an interview with the British magazine New Statesman.

birchesgreen

Established Member

Well to be fair its typical of news in general, bad news always outweighs good news

DB

What’s your view on Tegnell’s scapegoating of the immigrant population in Sweden?

I assume he is - rather clumsily, it must be said - referring to multi-generational households, which do seem to be associated with higher spread.

sjpowermac

Established Member
I assume he is - rather clumsily, it must be said - referring to multi-generational households, which do seem to be associated with higher spread.
Even so, slippery slope to scapegoat certain sections of society...

DB

Well to be fair its typical of news in general, bad news always outweighs good news

True, but unlike commercial news pushers the BBC has a mandate to show balance, wich is severely lacking in all its covid coverage.

Even so, slippery slope to scapegoat certain sections of society...

Yes, agree that more care is needed with language used in cases like this.

Yew

Established Member

It seems to be like a factually accurate statement backed up by evidence. Calling it scapegoating seems almost like a straw man argument.

sjpowermac

Established Member
It seems to be like a factually accurate statement backed up by evidence. Calling it scapegoating seems almost like a straw man argument.
It is scapegoating because even if it’s true that there was greater spread amongst some sections of society it doesn’t take into account other factors that might be at play.

Just because it doesn’t fit in with Tegnell’s status as a deity on these threads doesn’t make it acceptable.

Jamiescott1

Dan wootton is now in the daily mail.
Some of his covid views (which i agree with) are different to the main press narrative. Is that why he left the sun ?

chris11256

kristiang85

Established Member
It was 25th June last year that a 'major incident' was declared because - God forbid - people went to the beach on a sunny day https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717

And these were the cases in the South East 28 days from that point (assuming any spike would be apparent in cases in that time):

Attachments

• southeastcovid20.JPG
    southeastcovid20.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Knew it wouldn't take long for the media to switch to these kind of stories.

Exclusive: People locked in their house for the best part of a year told they can now go out and they go out. Read the shocking story inside.

Good on them, just imagine the good it's doing in this lovely sunshine enabling people to start picking their immune system up off the floor. Speaking of which I have had a pretty horrendous cold (it's a cold, not Covid) for the past four days and i'm willing to bet money that at any other time i'd have been able to shake it off in 24 hours.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Knew it wouldn't take long for the media to switch to these kind of stories.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14506661/lockdown-extension-fears-brits-pack-parks/

Sigh.
Again, so what if cases do increase? Most of vulnerable are vaccinated or at least had the chance. About time all this nonsense was dropped by the media. Fed up with them and the so called experts. It's like a dying animal gasping for its last breath. They can't accept their 15 minutes of fame are up.

GrahamD83

I say good to all these people. It shows the government the general public are fed up of restrictions and won't put up with being told what to do anymore. And I don't see it extending the lockdown as it's less than 14 days until the next stage so too soon for any impact on the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.