• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

haikarate

Hi. Do they look at your medical history, ie, your medical documents or do they rely on your honesty? The reason I ask is that certain TOC's refuse applicants that have had laser eye surgery in the past. Could anyone shed some light on why this is so?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red18

Hi. Do they look at your medical history, ie, your medical documents or do they rely on your honesty? The reason I ask is that certain TOC's refuse applicants that have had laser eye surgery in the past. Could anyone shed some light on why this is so?

Some laser eye surgery is permitted under RSSB guidance. These are PRK, LASIK and LASEK.
Of course this is just guidance and TOCs may have their own internal requirements.
I was never asked to provide details of my GP so I'm not sure whether they will check your history. But, you will have to attend a medical where you will be asked about your medical history and your eyesight, hearing, BMI will be checked along with an ECG, test for physcial movement and a urine test for drugs will be done.
There is absolutely no point in not declaring something because if you do and it comes to light at a later date you risk being dismissed for either no longer meeting the minimum medical standards or maybe for being dishonest in the first place.

Why not just ask the TOC in question?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You need to be completely honest. I know personally of a couple of people who were dismissed when soemthing came to light about their health that they had not declared during their medical.

If they had declared it, they would have been OK, as the medical conditions did not prevent them working on the railway.

jadam35

You need to be completely honest. I know personally of a couple of people who were dismissed when soemthing came to light about their health that they had not declared during their medical.

If they had declared it, they would have been OK, as the medical conditions did not prevent them working on the railway.

On a similar note when I had my medical I was on medication, namely antibiotics for a mouth infection, strong painkillers related to this and I had taken over the counter sleeping pills to try and get some rest from the pain. I passed with no problems, but would have failed had I not declared them......

jamess115

In reference to whether a company would look at your medical documents, I believe they would need your permission before doing so.

I think it is unlikely to be honest. When I had my Aviation medicals with a designated CAA examiner, the doctors had there own criteria in accordance with the regs and as long as you satisfied that then you are good to go.

Andrew32

Would having polycythaemia (production of to many red bloodcells) effect my ability to be a conductor?

I have regular checkups and don't require medication for it.

A-driver

Established Member
Would having polycythaemia (production of to many red bloodcells) effect my ability to be a conductor?

It depends on what the condition can cause. Not being a doctor I don't know specifics but basically with railway safety critical roles the rules are that you are free from any condition which can cause sudden loss of consciousness or loss of vision/hearing/speech. So things like epilepsy, heart problems, conditions requiring 'drowsy' medication are a no-no but if your condition isn't going to cause you to collapse without warning then you should be ok.

redbutton

It's never caused any of them problems so I should be ok.

Mention it to the doctor at the medical appointment, and he or she will advise you as to whether it's a problem. The doctor may need to get your medical records from your GP to make a decision.

When I had my medical (for a Driver role) one of the standard forms I was required to sign was a consent for the TOC to get medical records from my GP. Though, it did also say that they would notify me if such a request were ever made.

Andrew32

It would be just my luck to fail after over a year of waiting, I drive and operate machinery at my current workplace.

Will.C

Would it be advisable to mention any problems I had as a child with hearing, my ears are fine now after having gromits etc was all as a very young child.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

It depends what the polycythaemia is caused by, and how it affects you. It's a confidential discussion to have between yourself and the OHD doctor.

A-driver

Established Member
Would it be advisable to mention any problems I had as a child with hearing, my ears are fine now after having gromits etc was all as a very young child.

Depends what questions are asked. If they specifically ask you about childhood conditions then mention it. If they ask about current issues then no need. Don't hide anything but don't muddy the water by volunteering stuff which isn't asked. (Before people start-I am not suggesting lying, I'm suggesting answering all questions truthfully).

One of the things I was worried about too, I had the same condition Will.C

At my medical there was a section on one of the forms to mention any hearing history. Definitely mention it ! as when the doctor looks in your ears they will see scar tissue on your ear drum from where the incision was made for the grommets to be inserted.

After the doctor has looked in your ears they will then take you to the sound booth for your hearing test. Aslong as you pass the actual hearing test then all will be fine.

I was surprised to find I actually had above normal hearing for my age despite problems when I was younger.

Will.C

Thats cool. I kind of thought that as long as there's no issues now and I pass the hearing test then it shouldn't be a problem. I have a couple of other questions reg medicals,

Do they tell you there on the day if you've passed all the hearing, eyesight and other tests you do?

Is there some sort of lung capacity test? If so is it advisable to stay off the cigarettes that morning?( I am trying to stop at the moment)

Whats the dress code for a medical?

A-driver

Established Member
Thats cool. I kind of thought that as long as there's no issues now and I pass the hearing test then it shouldn't be a problem. I have a couple of other questions reg medicals,

Do they tell you there on the day if you've passed all the hearing, eyesight and other tests you do?

Is there some sort of lung capacity test? If so is it advisable to stay off the cigarettes that morning?( I am trying to stop at the moment)

Whats the dress code for a medical?

No lung capacity test as far as I remember. They tell you if you have passed as they go along, only thing you need to wait for a result for is the drug test which can take a few days but that shouldn't be something to keep you up at night wondering about...

No dress code but it is for a job so perhaps semi- smart.

Will.C

No lung capacity test as far as I remember. They tell you if you have passed as they go along, only thing you need to wait for a result for is the drug test which can take a few days but that shouldn't be something to keep you up at night wondering about...

No dress code but it is for a job so perhaps semi- smart.

Thanks A-driver, I wasn't sure if I had to get my suit out again or if a smart jumper & jeans would suffice, certainly wont be turning up in my football shirt lol

Thats good they let you know as you go as well, just popped into my local Specsavers for a free hearing test and theres no issues there which Im happy about, and no lol waiting for the drugs test results wont be keeping me up at night at all.

redbutton

I wore a jumper and nice jeans for my driver medical and there was no issue. As long as you look presentable and conduct yourself professionally, you'll be fine. If this is for a driver role, remember that there's an ECG so its wise to wear something you can take off easily.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Urine test looks for glucose (diabetes)& is done at the centre & another sample is taken for drink & drugs & is sent away to a lab. It is important to declare ANY medication taken even simple ones e.g, headache tablets, hayfever etc.

A-driver

Established Member
I understand this, i have bought some of the drug tests offline were you test your urine using a dipstick just to be on the safe side. Will the urine test completed at the medical be similar to the test i have completed or is it alot more in depth?

Why on earth do you feel the need to test yourself prior to the medical? If you have serious concerns then don't take the job application further as it's probably not the career for you. No one should be going into a railway medical in any doubt over their ability to pass the drug test. If you are concerned you may fail because of drugs in your system, other than those prescribed, then really don't bother applying! You can be randomly tested once on the job aswell.

A-driver

Established Member
This is exactly why i was hesitant to post on her due to people like you!!! how on earth do you know my circumstances? your just jumping to conclusions and basically labeling me as somebody who takes drugs, you dont know me so dont judge me.

I was asking as i have my own personal reasons that i am not comfortable to disclose on here!!

Well let's be honest, if you are taking anything legitimately for what ever reason you will of course declare it and so it won't matter if it shows up on the test. The only reason you would want to test yourself beforehand is if you are worried something will flag up that you don't want flagged up.

They are pretty thourough with the drug screen so I doubt anything can be hidden from it but if it's all legitimate and any drugs you are taking comply with railway guidelines or any medical conditions which may give a false positive are disclosed then you just need to mention it at the medical and you won't have any problems.

Even if you do your own home test and it gives a clear reading I certainly wouldn't rely on it. If the railway medical finds something you didn't disclose then you simply won't get the job. Declare it and providing it's within regulations then you will be fine.

So unless you have something you are attempting to hide, and I'm not implying you are a drug addict in anyway, you have absolutely nothing to worry about and no need to test yourself.

I stand by what I said, I can't see any reason anyone would worry about the drugs screening.

hidden

I understand this, i have bought some of the drug tests offline were you test your urine using a dipstick just to be on the safe side. Will the urine test completed at the medical be similar to the test i have completed or is it alot more in depth?

No

It is dipped and sent off to a lab for analysis also.

When you see the kit they use, it's certainly not something you could just go out and buy off the shelf. Believe me!

Anyway, bottom line if you have nothing in your system then don't worry about it. If you do or think you might have then you should declare this at the medical.

A-driver

Established Member
Thanks hidden, i appreciate the non antagonistic response.

My response was not antagonistic thank you very much. I was pointing out that nothing will get past the test done and you still havnt given a response as to why you would possibly be worried about it?

I understand you may not want to go into intimate detail on here but no matter what the issue is, you would be able to tell a doctor in confidence and so it wouldn't cause a problem.

So still, as far as I can see, there is absolutely no reason why you would be worrying about it or looking to see if anything may show up as if you are within guidelines then you won't have any problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.