• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amex88

I'm a shunter myself. So here we go.. hearing test, eye sight test, alchohol breath test. Drugs urine test, blood pressure and heart rate test.

whoosh

Established Member
They sometimes do a general movement check - can you look over both your shoulders, no stiff neck or muscle problems. Also your balance. They check this by getting you to stand with your arms out with palms face upwards, then get you to close your eyes. If your balance is okay, you won't waver very much.

If you are in good health, you'll be fine.

387star

On Moderation
They sometimes do a general movement check - can you look over both your shoulders, no stiff neck or muscle problems. Also your balance. They check this by getting you to stand with your arms out with palms face upwards, then get you to close your eyes. If your balance is okay, you won't waver very much.

If you are in good health, you'll be fine.

Is it a problem if you are very thin not underweight necessarily but borderline

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
They are checking that you are fit to do the job you applied for. That means they will check you over for problems that might affect your ability to carry out your duties safely and properly. If your weight doesn't affect that, it shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone know for sure if you can get a job as a conductor if you have high blood pressure which is controlled by medication .

redbutton

I wish I could have a go at a job like that but been type 1 Diabetic I've no chance

Not necessarily. I've heard of a pilot scheme being trialled whereby type-1 diabetics may be passed as fit after completing a period of monitoring to ensure you can keep your blood sugar stable within a specified range over time.

It's still on the drawing board from what I gather, but at least it should give you a little hope for the future.

Economist

Can I please ask who administers medicals for train drivers?

I'm aware that for Civil Aviation it is always normally the Civil Aviation Authority and that for the Merchant Navy it is the Maritime & Coastguard Agency.

However, I've seen that for train drivers it seems to be administered by Occupational Health/the hiring TOC? Whilst I'm aware that all candidates must meet a minimum standard, do some TOCs have more stringent rules than others (as per the psychometric tests) and that despite failing a medical with one TOC, a candidate may pass a medical with a different TOC?

redbutton

The medical examinations are performed by the individual TOC or a contractor of the TOC.

The legal minimum standards are set out in The Train Driving Licences and Certificates Regulations 2010 since all new drivers have to obtain a European licence under those regs.

The TOCs then use those standards along with a set of RSSB recommendations to form their own company-specific standards and procedures which don't tend to stray far from the guidance.

Basically, if you have any conditions you're concerned about that aren't addressed in the documents I linked, go ahead and apply but just be sure to mention it to the doctor at your medical appointment. You don't have to disclose it to HR or any managers at the hiring stage, only the doctor.

Last edited:

Economist

Thanks redbutton, I just wanted to make sure that the actual medical was separate from HR. There are quite a few conditions out there that might spook a medical layman but which would not particularly cause concern to a doctor.

387star

On Moderation
Hi

I have medical.for thameslink.late july but like others told talent pool after that awaiting vacancy

Aren't medicals a good sign that a company plan to take you on as aside few exceptions such as courses postponed seems most people who pass medicals are taken on

Should I be quite optimistic? I'm in a talent pool for another toc as well but they haven't offered me a medical both honour passes for three years mine expire mid way through 2017

I have been told from thameslink as soon as we can progress you we will should I be encouraged by this? Medicals can't be cheap

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
I take 5mg of ramipril and 5mg of felodopine each day. I have never had a day off sick due to blood pressure

If the medication is permitted then there is not a problem, there is a long list of medication that is not permitted, any medication that can affect your ability to operate machinery or cause drowsiness will deem you off track. TOC's will call a medical adviser on being informed if an employee has to take any medication that isn't seemed as safe and then get an advisory from the advisor whether the person can stay working their role or not, for instance, anything with codeine in it will not be permitted unless a risk assessment by a railway appointed doctor advises to the contrary.

Now the medication you have mentioned above would most likely not affect you but if you didn't take it and was in a safety critical role you could well be taken off duties due to high blood pressure.

The subject is very complex and the rules are set in stone usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.