• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgola

Thinking of applying for a trainee driver position with Freightliner.
I am in my late 40s. I am a type 2 diabetic, also on medication for high blood pressue. I wear contact lenses too, all my conditions are controlled.
I drive London buses & had last medical at 45 with ECG etc.
Are those medical conditions & my age likely to mean I'm precluded from applying for a job involving driving trains?
Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Not the age or because you Wear contacts. Im 48 and Wear contacts and am a trainee driver.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Cut off for blood pressure is 160/100. If you are controlled below that it's fine. Medication is permitted. There are diabetics at my depot but not sure what type. You need to ask the HR dept of the company you are applying for.

Thinking of applying for a trainee driver position with Freightliner.
I am in my late 40s. I am a type 2 diabetic, also on medication for high blood pressue. I wear contact lenses too, all my conditions are controlled.
I drive London buses & had last medical at 45 with ECG etc.
Are those medical conditions & my age likely to mean I'm precluded from applying for a job involving driving trains?
Any help greatly appreciated
I would apply.
It seems as though your medical conditions are permitted so long as they are controlled.
Don't let this put you off, you should see the state of some drivers

sw1ller

Established Member
I would apply.
It seems as though your medical conditions are permitted so long as they are controlled.
Don't let this put you off, you should see the state of some drivers

Beat me to it! ;)

Stigy

Established Member
Anyone know how long the medical lasts for a driver?
I want to say five years until you reach 50 years of age, then yearly? However I’m using usual railway medicals as my thinking, but I have a feeling drivers may just be yearly? I could just be spouting rubbish of course.... :)

Dynamonic

I believe it’s every three years for a driver. I had mine this year and my next one is due in 2021. :) Not sure if it may vary company to company though.

Status
Not open for further replies.