• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

childwallblues

Established Member
The Liverpool Echo, citing an interview by Steve Rotheram on BBC Radio Merseyside this morning, is now suggesting that roll out could happen within days if the ASLEF ballot is favourable. Link to article.

We are a few days away from the third anniversary of the first 777 being delivered to Kirkdale, so it would be nice to see them finally running in passenger service.
I just hope that Rotheram is right. If the drivers vote against against the deal there would appear to be no way forward.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Wait for the older units to go off lease, wind the service down until it collapses and shut up shop.

Start again with 'take it or leave it' contracts.

Not good but maybe a blank sheet of paper is what's needed??

Wezz

Wait for the older units to go off lease, wind the service down until it collapses and shut up shop.

Start again with 'take it or leave it' contracts.

Not good but maybe a blank sheet of paper is what's needed??
Not gonna happen, we've got enough units to last us a few more years before the planners have to worry about units running out of milage.

karlbbb

I believe today is the last day of the ASLEF ballot, or possibly even the day the result will be known?

karlbbb

The referendum was carried. Yes vote

Expect to see 777s in service within days
That's excellent news! I look forward to getting the 777 to Kirkdale and then switch back to legacy stock for the rest of my journey up the Ormskirk line :)

karlbbb

I can only hope that at some point in the future (though extremely doubtful), Merseyrail would take external applications for trainee drivers, rather than recruiting internally only.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I can only hope that at some point in the future (though extremely doubtful), Merseyrail would take external applications for trainee drivers, rather than recruiting internally only.
I have always had a penchant for allowing people the opportunity to work their way up the ranks within a firm. Better than just poaching staff from elsewhere. Breeds some kind of loyalty - a strange concept in this day and age I know.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have always had a penchant for allowing people the opportunity to work their way up the ranks within a firm. Better than just poaching staff from elsewhere. Breeds some kind of loyalty - a strange concept in this day and age I know.

Curiously it still very much happens in the IT industry, where you really wouldn't expect it to.

Merseyrail does feel curiously in the 1970s as a whole at times though.

But yes, the OP could perhaps continue becoming a guard first, now this role seems secure.

Skie

Curiously it still very much happens in the IT industry, where you really wouldn't expect it to.

Merseyrail does feel curiously in the 1970s as a whole at times though.

But yes, the OP could perhaps continue becoming a guard first, now this role seems secure.
It massively helps with knowledge retention. Industries with lots of sideways moves or churn lose a huge amount of “corporate knowledge” and the costs to retrain can be significant. Promoting a competent guard to a driver, or a sysadmin to a DBA keeps the knowledge of the complex systems, interactions and historical incidents.

Some new blood can be helpful though, but far too often new senior people want to stamp their name on things to get the next promotion - sod the consequences.

777s soon, just need to oil the PR machine and dust off the old “newtrains2020” material.

Sam 76

Do we think they will do a special introduction service before the full take over on the Kirkby Line as like a “they are here thing”

karlbbb

Do we think they will do a special introduction service before the full take over on the Kirkby Line as like a “they are here thing”
Considering they're over two years "late" for a multitude of reasons, I can't imagine there would be anything other than a massive PR campaign for "here they are".

WRT taking on a new blood, it was certainly a slightly selfish view in some aspects. I'm fairly well established in my own career (IT, as it happens), including salary, and so the jump back down - though I hate to use that term - to a guard/TM salary would be more difficult to swallow if there was no specifically-timed path to get in the driver's seat. If they had the "ab initio" path, at least you'd know the length of training and so could at least try and be prepared for the salary hit during training before getting onto a drivers' salary. So again, a bit of a selfish view, rather than saying promoting from within was wrong in itself.

Skie

There will need to be a bit of PR just so the passengers know to press the door open button to board/alight. Entirely new concept to some, despite how common it is elsewhere.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Considering they're over two years "late" for a multitude of reasons, I can't imagine there would be anything other than a massive PR campaign for "here they are".

WRT taking on a new blood, it was certainly a slightly selfish view in some aspects. I'm fairly well established in my own career (IT, as it happens), including salary, and so the jump back down - though I hate to use that term - to a guard/TM salary would be more difficult to swallow if there was no specifically-timed path to get in the driver's seat. If they had the "ab initio" path, at least you'd know the length of training and so could at least try and be prepared for the salary hit during training before getting onto a drivers' salary. So again, a bit of a selfish view, rather than saying promoting from within was wrong in itself.

Ah. I suppose you could become a driver at Northern and look to move over a few years later? I assume they do from time to time recruit experienced drivers?

karlbbb

Think this summarises the release quite well.
Out on Monday on the Kirkby line, anyone know if this will be full service or just some runs?
I read that article to mean "in service". I think it may be worth an early morning trip to Kirkby on Monday morning if this is the case :)

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I read that article to mean "in service". I think it may be worth an early morning trip to Kirkby on Monday morning if this is the case :)
I think I worded my question wrong, I was wondering if it will be all 777s or will there still be some old ones in service, they've been running up there for testing/training for a while.