• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail legacy fleet updates (Class 507/508)

prod_pep

Established Member
Apologies, if i cant find it on the forum but I am looking for the routes the 507/508s are still timetabled to be running on in mid November, so i can plan a short break to get a few shots of them. I would be very grateful and then i can find somewhere non railway loving wife-friendly to stay too.. Thanks!
They will still be the only traction on the Southport - Hunts Cross route and almost certainly remain on some Wirral Line services too. The New Brighton and West Kirby lines will likely still have a fair few 507/8s in November as the 777s are being focussed on the Chester and Ellesmere Port branches at present.

For places to stay, Southport is a nice place and has plenty of hotels, whilst Formby, Ainsdale, Hightown and Crosby are all good areas but probably much lighter on hotels. New Brighton isn't bad as well if you want to stay on the Wirral.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

urbophile

Established Member
The 777/1s lift the shoes on approach to Fazakerley (towards Kirkby) and drop them on approach to Kirkby (towards Liverpool).

At present both 777/0s and 507/8s can run as far as Kirkby from Liverpool. This is only under a temporary agreement with Network Rail and involves the driver having to contact the signaller on every trip before restarting at Kirkby towards Liverpool.

Once more 777/1s are ready for passenger service then they will solely run to Headbolt Lane on a 15min frequency.

When this occurs then the temporary agreement will be ended, Kirkby will no longer be a turnaround point and all 777/0s and 507/8s will no longer be allowed past Fazakerley.

Hope this clears it up!
So are they planning to remove the third rail after Fazakerley?

darylyates17

What diagrams have 777s on the Wirral Lines? I plan to ride the whole network again as I've done on the 507/8s now done both Headbolt Lane and Ormskirk on a 777.

L401CJF

Established Member
What diagrams have 777s on the Wirral Lines? I plan to ride the whole network again as I've done on the 507/8s now done both Headbolt Lane and Ormskirk on a 777.
There's at least 1 on each of the Wirral Line usually.

When I went out yesterday there were 3x777 on Chesters, 2x777 on Ellesmere Ports, 1 on New Brightons and 0 on West Kirby.

paddyb6

I believe it is currently up to 4x Chester, 2x EP, 1x WK and 1x NB. Not always the case, but that I believe is the current aim for daily 777s on the Wirral.

prod_pep

Established Member
The appalling lack of capacity on the Southport line goes on, with the 1651 Hunts X - Southport short-formed today. This is a remarkably busy service and running it with 3 cars is plain dangerous.

Sam 76

The appalling lack of capacity on the Southport line goes on, with the 1651 Hunts X - Southport short-formed today. This is a remarkably busy service and running it with 3 cars is plain dangerous.
It is getting bad now. 2 more 508s to be withdrawn this week as well. A bit of a nightmare

Bikeman78

Established Member
They will still be the only traction on the Southport - Hunts Cross route and almost certainly remain on some Wirral Line services too. The New Brighton and West Kirby lines will likely still have a fair few 507/8s in November as the 777s are being focussed on the Chester and Ellesmere Port branches at present.

For places to stay, Southport is a nice place and has plenty of hotels, whilst Formby, Ainsdale, Hightown and Crosby are all good areas but probably much lighter on hotels. New Brighton isn't bad as well if you want to stay on the Wirral.
There's a good bit of jointed track south of Formby to challenge the suspension. They really motor along there too.

No what's dangerous is people trying to get on when clearly the train is full
You can't blame them for trying. The next one will probably be the same. It's not like the London Underground with a train every three minutes.

prod_pep

Established Member
Of course it's dangerous not to provide the requisite number of coaches on what is surely the network's busiest service.

One thing's for sure, I stopped using the train at just the right time!

urbophile

Established Member
What are they supposed to do at a station like Liverpool Central? Stay on the dangerously overcrowded platform? Merseyrail have the responsibility for people's safety on their trains and premises, so they should ensure that there is sufficient capacity or else direct people to other means of transport. Which for Southport would probably mean cars, hence more congestion and pollution, and potentially more, and more serious, danger.

MattRat

On Moderation
The solution for Southport is clearly to accept the limited unit number, and work around that. Reduce frequency, say 20 minutes on all lines, so less units are required, and 777s can take over for 50x more, so then you can run more doubled sets on the Southport line until things improve.

Sam 76

The solution for Southport is clearly to accept the limited unit number, and work around that. Reduce frequency, say 20 minutes on all lines, so less units are required, and 777s can take over for 50x more, so then you can run more doubled sets on the Southport line until things improve.
Don’t think that’s going to happen as that will be an abject failure and people with the newer units will go mad. It would be sensible but they will just carry on like this and hope it works out I guess

prod_pep

Established Member
508112 is also now withdrawn so it's two fewer. However, a much better evening peak tonight as it appears all five of the booked six cars on the Southport line ran.

Alas, not a good day for the Headbolt Lane route again. Looks like another 777/1 gave up the ghost.

507001/508114 on Chester's today
One unknown on West Kirby
One unknown on southport.

Did enjoy 508114 on my trip to Chester!

How long do these girls have!?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Apologies if it's already been mentioned. Does anyone know roughly when the 507/508s will be withdrawn from service?

Class91Joe

Planning a trip to the region on the 1st November, does anyone know if there's more 777s than 507/8's in service now or is it still less? Also which 508 numbers are still in traffic? Thanks