• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink M5000 Fleet Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Yes most services are doubles. There’s a few single Rochdale sets, a couple of Ashton sets and all TPL and APL sets. The result of that is slightly higher fleet utilisation than a normal 6/12 min service.

3121-123 are here, but aren’t in service yet. 121 was allowed out to play for a couple of days before Christmas (to satisfy the Mayor) but hasn’t turned a wheel in service since. To be honest, even if they were in service, the effect could have been replicated by getting some of the long term stoppers back in use (3024, 3099 etc), so the new fleet isn’t big enough to make a serious impact yet.
What's happened to 3024 and 3099?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507 001

Established Member
What's happened to 3024 and 3099?

Both have accident damage. 3024 has ended up as a spare parts donor (but will be put back together at some point). Not sure exactly what the plan for 99 is, at one point it was intended to fit the spare cab to it but that plan seems to have fallen by the wayside at the moment.

Mothball

Both have accident damage. 3024 has ended up as a spare parts donor (but will be put back together at some point). Not sure exactly what the plan for 99 is, at one point it was intended to fit the spare cab to it but that plan seems to have fallen by the wayside at the moment.
I've got it down as 3027 not 24 thats been OOU for well over a year now.
There was some pictures on social media around 6 months ago showing 3099 in Queens with the damaged cab mostly stripped out internally.
Following a FOI request to TFGM several months ago 3005 has also been stopped at Trafford since Feb 2020 with a mechanical part failure. Not sure if this one has returned to service or not yet

507 001

Established Member
I've got it down as 3027 not 24 thats been OOU for well over a year now.
There was some pictures on social media around 6 months ago showing 3099 in Queens with the damaged cab mostly stripped out internally.
Following a FOI request to TFGM several months ago 3005 has also been stopped at Trafford since Feb 2020 with a mechanical part failure. Not sure if this one has returned to service or not yet

27 is currently sat on 6 or 7 road at Queens with 24. It’s not been out for quite as long as 24 though I think.

Yes, 3005 is the Trafford Christmas tree at the moment. Couldn’t remember which one it was.

Mothball

27 is currently sat on 6 or 7 road at Queens with 24. It’s not been out for quite as long as 24 though I think.

Yes, 3005 is the Trafford Christmas tree at the moment. Couldn’t remember which one it was.
Much appreciated!
I've sent another FOI request for an update so I can sort my notes out

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That would explain why I've not found 3027 when I was last up north looking for it! The only currently available (notwithstanding the new arrivals) tram I need on Metrolink, at least when I do get to return to Manchester I'll know not to waste my efforts looking for it now!

djpontrack

It is entirely possible. The only place they definitely won’t turn up is Altrincham.
That’s great. The only place at the moment that I see the trams is at Manchester Airport as I usually have two 30 minute waits at the station between services.

tramfan208

Why do you say that?
It’s because any vehicle travelling on the Altrincham line (further than Brooklands anyway), encounters block signalling and therefore must have the Automatic Tram Stop (ATS) equipment fitted. This means 3001 - 3060 are the only members of the fleet which could conceivably turn up at Altrincham.

Having said that, we know that 3005/24/27 are long term out of service, and at least three more vehicles this week have had their ATS equipment removed. (I recall 3053 I think was one).

markymark2000

On Moderation
It’s because any vehicle travelling on the Altrincham line (further than Brooklands anyway), encounters block signalling and therefore must have the Automatic Tram Stop (ATS) equipment fitted. This means 3001 - 3060 are the only members of the fleet which could conceivably turn up at Altrincham.
Ahh, thank you for your help.

Mothball

Having said that, we know that 3005/24/27 are long term out of service, and at least three more vehicles this week have had their ATS equipment removed. (I recall 3053 I think was one).
Shouldn't be long now until TMS is commissioned at Timperley, should add some flexibility during disruption allowing the non-ATS trams to run part routes.

Scotrail88

Do we have any indication when the remainder of the order will arrive and hit the streets - as lockdown eases the additional capacity with social distancing will be welcomed

507 001

Established Member
Shouldn't be long now until TMS is commissioned at Timperley, should add some flexibility during disruption allowing the non-ATS trams to run part routes.

I doubt that would happen unless Timperley-Altrincham is closed for engineering works. Even during disruption sets tend to stick to the lines they’re allocated to, it’s very rare that there’s any robbing Peter to pay Paul

Do we have any indication when the remainder of the order will arrive and hit the streets - as lockdown eases the additional capacity with social distancing will be welcomed

They’ve got to be delivered first ;)

Mothball

I doubt that would happen unless Timperley-Altrincham is closed for engineering works. Even during disruption sets tend to stick to the lines they’re allocated to, it’s very rare that there’s any robbing Peter to pay Paul
Around 2 or 3 years ago I spent a good few months commuting from and to Chorlton every day, I wouldn't have said it was regular but there was a good number of times it got switched to an Alty and a few Timperleys part way into the journey

507 001

Established Member
Around 2 or 3 years ago I spent a good few months commuting from and to Chorlton every day, I wouldn't have said it was regular but there was a good number of times it got switched to an Alty and a few Timperleys part way into the journey

Well in the eight years I’ve been driving I’ve only ever had it happen once.

Mothball

Well in the eight years I’ve been driving I’ve only ever had it happen once.
Cant speak from a drivers point of view but from a passengers point of view it was a bit of a nuisance, thinking back it was maybe once or twice a month in the 8 months I was over that way, luckily I've never had to travel over to that side since!

WatcherZero

Established Member
As an infrequent rider I wouldn't say it was a rare occurrence as I experienced it a number of times, usually for timetable recovery purposes.

507 001

Established Member
As an infrequent rider I wouldn't say it was a rare occurrence as I experienced it a number of times, usually for timetable recovery purposes.

Well we’ll have to agree to disagree. Like I say. I’ve only ever had it happen twice in 8 years, and at least one of those times they changed their mind shortly afterwards.

There are far more reasons for it not to be done, ATS/Drivers route knowledge/issues with driver meal breaks etc. Things would have to be really up the spout for it to be considered.

Mothball

Update on long term out of service M5000s,
3027, 1 year 11 months
3099, 1 year 7 months
3005, 1 year 2 months
3024, 6 months
3015, 3 months
3008, 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.