• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bubba

Interview went OK; they didnt give much away so I dont have a clue whether I will be offered a position or not.

I was asked a few questions about my background and a couple of scenarios such as "if you were driving a tram and crashed into a car, what would your priorities be". Obviously successful candidates will be taught about the correct procedures etc, so assume they are just trying to determine how we think.

The lady then explained about the actual job, shift patterns, working hours, etc. Answered any questions I had, and it was all done and dusted in 30mins.

It sounds like it is a massive recruitment drive so if you have applied before but failed to get to the assessment stage, or past the interviews I would recommend you try again.

ChrisM66

Cheers for the info bubba,i have applied for this what are the shift patterns if you don't mind me asking.

Bubba

The shift patterns are a bit odd but they have been tweaked over the years to suit what the drivers want. There isnt any real pattern to them.

Week1 - M 1703-0018, Tu 1533-0013, W Spare (back up), Th 1436-2254, F 1133-1914, Sa Rest Day, Su Rest Day
Week2 - M Rest Day, Tu 0726-1537, W 0717-1530, Th 0456-1242, F Rest Day, Sa 0721-1542, Su Spare

You get an idea from that.

Oddball

Yeah, thanks for the info Bubba. I tried to re-apply a few weeks ago, logged in as myself, but it told me I can't because I’ve already been unsuccessful. So I'm going to try again with different login details and see if that works.

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
Hi; Im very new to the forum; but have just joined.

I have just applied for the new Metrolink drivers jobs; that currently ends on 03 Oct 2011. I was interested to read that given even though it's Light Rail; they still will make you go through the industry standard tests.

Although I am pleased that they are not doing the DOTs test; as i failed on that some years ago when i applied for Northern Rail. Can anyone shed any light on the rest of the tests they do in the assessment day? i.e. the Dial tests and what they ask during the rules test;

lots of questions; just curious really....

cheers in advance

matt:D

The dials test is a number of dials which give a imaginary readout of 4 systems on a train (Power/Light/Heat and control) I think. You basically answer a multichoice question on which order you would look for a fault given the position of the dials. It's multiple-guess answers but takes a little to get your head round.

The rules test is a passage of rules with 4 mulitguess questions after each passage. You essentially read the passage and then answer the questions. This is just a basic test of reading and understanding.

Hope that helps.

Mattmatt

Has anyone noticed that they've extended the deadline for the drivers roles? i'm sure it was the 3rd (today) and now on the website it now says 5th.

I got my application in well before the deadline; and now just waiting for the email that either says; thanks but no thanks; or yes come along to a day of tests etc.

I'm hoping that my experience as a secondman & 08 driver on the east lancs will stand me in good stead!

Anyone else applying that has rail or heritage rail experience?

rob001uk

Has anyone noticed that they've extended the deadline for the drivers roles? i'm sure it was the 3rd (today) and now on the website it now says 5th.

On another forum I regularly look at one guy has said he had trouble with the website on Sunday night and then the vacancy had closed itself by Monday morning. He contacted HR and they agreed to re-open the vacancy for one more day, so that's why it's changed to the fifth.

I put in a new application last week and have got everything crossed this time that I might just get to the assessment stage (and that they don't just bin it straight out after seeing the same name :lol:). I know this application was better than my last at least. Good luck everyone else who's applied :)

Bubba

My assessment was at Trafford. Interview was then at Queens Road - that was nearly three weeks ago and still heard nothing.

rob001uk

My assessment was at Trafford. Interview was then at Queens Road - that was nearly three weeks ago and still heard nothing.

Have you heard anything yet Bubba? I saw on another site that someone has now been offered a job from the first round of assessments.

Do you think they are dragging their heels a bit because of all the delays on opening the new extensions?

Bubba

I heard nothing so I rang once two weeks ago, and then had to follow it up last week with another phone call. They never rang me back, as promised, but I finally got a letter.

They rejected my application. I must admit that I was extremely surprised. The letter said that feedback would be provided to those who wanted it so i asked for it.

I was told that I fell short on my answer to how I would be an ambassador to the company.

Now I dont claim to be super intelligent or anything, but I know how to deal with people and how to treat them. I do a lot of charity work, I am currently in a sales role where I HAVE to get on with my customers. I am concientious about other people and put others first. Yet Metrolink didnt think I sold myself well enough.

I must admit I was gutted. The whole process feels to have been improvised so to be rejected at the final stage leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. In corresponding emails they now do PA announcments and a practical tram driving test as part of the process. I dont think they really have a clue what they are doing.

I was invited to apply again in Jan/Feb but will probably leave it now.

crvhonda

jus curious wat ppl they lookingg for? is it that difficult getting in to rail iindustry?
from what i personally see safety and punctual is the basic requirement for the ppost.
hope some experience ppl can spread some secret here.

Mattmatt

I was told that I fell short on my answer to how I would be an ambassador to the company.

In corresponding emails they now do PA announcments and a practical tram driving test as part of the process. I dont think they really have a clue what they are doing.

That's real shocking to read if they just said that, as a way of rejection; but to also read they've changed their assessment day as well to include practice tram driving & PA announcements... how much blood do they want...

Has anyone heard from the vacancy for Drivers that closed on the 5th Oct? Im tempted to fire off an email; but don't wish to come across all needy if you what i mean.

rob001uk

Has anyone heard from the vacancy for Drivers that closed on the 5th Oct? Im tempted to fire off an email; but don't wish to come across all needy if you what i mean.

I've not yet. My last application (the one I was unsuccessful with) took just under 3 weeks for them to get back to me, so I'm hoping to hear something around the start of next week. No harm in firing off an email or call though; at least it shows you are keen.

Established Member
My reckoning is they may be dragging their feet with driver recruitment, as there is no point paying all those drivers to start before the new lines are up and running.

Mattmatt

I now know why it is taking sooo long. Having spoken to a very reliable source within Metrolink, it appears that their super computer is still short listing them! Which me for spells bad news! as I used very similar info on the London Midland and First Scot Rail trainee drivers applications and got rejected both times! They have apparently had the best part of 1000 applications for the post. Although my source doesnt know how many posts they are recruiting this time! (touch wood, fingers crossed etc etc.......)

Established Member
Noticed a driver's assessment day today at Ayers Road. Allegedly ;)

Mattmatt

Yeah I rode past on my bike and saw them riding up and down the sidings.

RE: the applications:

I really don't think that it takes 4+ weeks to short list a set of applications. I think i might have to give it all up as a bad hobby and move on. If they can take this long; when the big railway can turn things round quite quickly. That is unless I've missed an email from them; has any heard of their out from the last ad in early Oct.

Established Member
Yeah I rode past on my bike and saw them riding up and down the sidings.

No, think those on the tram were a driver's course. They are training 9-a-month ish.

Think there was a recruitment day on the 29th.

Last edited:

rob001uk

Clearly my application wasn't even worth sending a thanks but no thanks email.

I'm sure they will be looking for more next year........

It could be that they are waiting to see how many get through from the recent assessment days before working out how many to invite in for the next one? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it might be a case of 'no news is good news' at this stage, seeing as I got a rejection email within a few weeks last time (although deep down I'm kind of resigned to it being a no again!).

Mattmatt

Called Metrolink today and their official word from the recruitment team, is that 1500 people applied for the position of tram driver. It is being short listed by hand! (i thought they had computers for this kind of thing) and who ever applied will know within the next two weeks, rejections come via email. Invites to a selection day will come via the snail mail!

Have others been told of this; as the lady i spoke to sounded very genuine about it. It could be the 'message' that's being pedalled out to all who call!

Applications are sorted by hand after being checked by computer for minimum standards (Driving licence/age etc etc/all sections complete etc etc)

Rejections by email - True
invites by snail mail - True

Info from a new contact I have made at metrolink!

Status
Not open for further replies.