• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MG11 for using child's ticket - aren't they supposed to explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
Is the filing location cylindrical and regularly emptied? :D

It is cylindrical yes - sans lid for a hoop shot - and yes at least once a week, unless he saves the funny ones

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . . . unless he saves the funny ones
I once was connected to a company operating nationally under a number of names, who received a handful of carefully (and carelessley) handwritten letters every day from unhappy customers, and directed staff to put them all in 'the bin' unread. That business model was not overtaken by any more 'customer friendly' business, and still operates, successfully.

I salvaged some of 'the funny ones' (though this may not be the time and place to re-tell the jokes), but it is amusing to see how creative people can be in trying to tell a story about matters of fact after the event.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
A successful businessman told me that there are some customers you are better off without. It's true. Some customers actually cost a business money by (in his case) having to be continually chased for payment, having to deal with endless complaints and generally spending inordinate amounts dealing with them rather than other customers.

island

Veteran Member
A successful businessman told me that there are some customers you are better off without. It's true. Some customers actually cost a business money by (in his case) having to be continually chased for payment, having to deal with endless complaints and generally spending inordinate amounts dealing with them rather than other customers.
I have a rather old book of sample business letters, and one of them is for such customers. It ends "Should you ever wish to place an order with us again, we shall have great pleasure in refusing you."

Flamingo

Established Member
On one occasion (when I was green and keen) I spent pretty much the whole way from London to Swindon trying to placate a passenger in 1st class who was most unhappy at having to change into a replacement bus at Swindon(we were being diverted because of emergency engineering works). He was demanding a taxi, demanding I ring control (in front of him), demanding to speak to control himself (which I refused), and generally being obnoxious.

After he got off at Swindon, having made his displeasure known to everybody, I eventually got to go down the rest of the train, to find two deaf passengers who had not heard the announcements, and did require a taxi back.

It was a valuable lesson - now, my response to the male in First Class would be along the lines of "That's how it is, deal with it", and I would leave him to find if anybody actually needed help. If the male continued to act in a disruptive manner, I'd call BTP to him, not pander to his overinflated ego.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I have a rather old book of sample business letters, and one of them is for such customers. It ends "Should you ever wish to place an order with us again, we shall have great pleasure in refusing you."

I really wish train companies, high street shops, supermarkets and the like would start to do this more with customers that take the ****. Everyone knows the difference between someone with a genuine grievance and those who moan about anything, and even exaggerate or downright lie.

If they were told never to return (sadly I doubt a TOC could do that, but Tesco could) then it might just stop some people having this sense of entitlement and 'knowing their human rights' etc.

Fare-Cop

I once was connected to a company operating nationally under a number of names, who received a handful of carefully (and carelessley) handwritten letters every day from unhappy customers, and directed staff to put them all in 'the bin' unread. That business model was not overtaken by any more 'customer friendly' business, and still operates, successfully.

I salvaged some of 'the funny ones' (though this may not be the time and place to re-tell the jokes), but it is amusing to see how creative people can be in trying to tell a story about matters of fact after the event.

Many similar experiences here Dave. After a few years as an inspector, too many years ago, I began to think if I heard a truly new excuse I'd let them off. Never quite happened that way though!

This one has always stuck in mind nonetheless. Young professional type on a semi-fast out of London KGX to Cambridge with no ticket at around 08.15 on a Monday. I had seen this guy on platform 8 well before I boarded the train and thought that he had probably noticed me, but he would not have known I was going to work that train.

I enter carriage and say 'Good morning, all tickets please'
I get to the young gentleman who says 'Single to Stevenage please'
Me: 'The ticket office was open sir, why didn't you get one there'.
Him 'No time, I was running late'
Me: 'Well I'm afraid I can't accept that sir, I saw you at the refreshment kiosk on platform 8 at least 5 minutes before this train departed.'
Him: 'Aah, yes, but just before I went to get one an elderly chap asked me the time and I don't wear a watch so I went to the front concourse to check the time and came back to let him know. By the time I'd done that I was too late to go to the ticket office.'

Needless to say a little further questioning ensued, a caution and an admission of the intention to travel to Cambridge. The fact that he was carrying a file with the name of a prominent Cambridge company emblazoned on it didn't really help his cause, but I have often thought it one of the most ridiculous excuses that I have ever heard offered.

I had no intention to start a rash of 'war stories', but I thought I'd share Dave's thoughts about how truly amusing some of the more creative types can be

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.