• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Microsoft Outlook is so amazing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...It can receive messages from the future!

25sbupi.jpg

:lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Death

Established Member
Reminds me of Custom Time for Google Mail - An old beta project that allowed users to send e-mail back in time that would arrive and appear in their inboxes before any subsequent messages. As a feature, it was pretty invaluable for securing concert tickets allocated to e-mail addresses on a "First come, first served" basis! :D 8)

The interesting aspect of course is that such a "Custom Time" feature is entirely possible at the technical level, although the real time the message was received by the destination server would still be visible in the mail headers! <D

Addendum: Looking at the timestamps, I presume that Manu is located somewhere in Central Europe? Evidently, Outlook sorts mail by the "sent" date in the message. At a guess, I would say that Manu sent his message at 00:01 his time (CET, or BST +1) and ye received it at around 23:05 our time - Hence the "message from the future".
On the same token, an Australian or New Zealand user can send e-mail to someone in the western US and have it seemingly arrive 22 hours before it was sent! :lol:

Last edited:
Nope he is in the USA... I have no idea how it did it but as soon as I'd pasted the screenshot into paint, 'tomorrow' had reverted to 'today' and all the 'todays' had reverted to 'yesterdays'.

rww100

haha, that just shows how annoyingly slow and laggy outlook is. It takes forever to start up and always freezes etc for me, and I wouldn't exactly call my computer slow :lol:

As I result, I now use Windows Live Mail, which is fairly fast, has a nice UI, and works very nicely with Windows Live Messenger.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe that isn't down to Outlook but the date/time the message was sent. I get similar things in Thunderbird as well (they tend to be spam) whereby the message will either be sent quite far in the past (1970s) or in the future so it appears at the top or bottom of your list.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Some years ago when I browsed newsgroups with outlook express, an occasional message would be posted with a date months or years into the future, and linger at the top.

Dai.

Established Member
That's an issue never seen before, funny though.

Could be something to do with your computers time and the date the message got sent through the servers, might happen if different time zones are applied.

Servers in America give a time stamp and then the messages arrives somewhere behind that time. Time endings have no relevance in outlook I don't think.

haha, that just shows how annoyingly slow and laggy outlook is. It takes forever to start up and always freezes etc for me, and I wouldn't exactly call my computer slow :lol:

As I result, I now use Windows Live Mail, which is fairly fast, has a nice UI, and works very nicely with Windows Live Messenger.

There is a really annoying bug in Outlook when you use IMAP access to your account and you are on a slow internet connection. While an IMAP command is being performed, Outlook will just lock up, stop, freeze, dead. And if your connection just died, or is being really slow, and Outlook decides to do a 'send and receive' you can be sat there for 5 minutes waiting for the command to finish. Sometimes it doesn't and the program just crashes. Ironically since I stopped using my 3G dongle and now use home broadband, I don't have crashes near as often as I used to. Pretty sad that an app can get hung up simply because of the speed or reliability of one's connection...

The only reason I use it really is because I use it at work and I got so used to it. I can use my gmail account in Outlook with IMAP at home and then the gmail web interface anywhere else and have perfect synchronisation that in some areas is almost as good as Microsoft Exchange. I also use the account on my iPod and as I read emails on it, I can watch them become 'read' (no longer bold in Outlook) on my computer screen right in front of me. Once you go IMAP, you'll never want to use POP again :)

rww100

There is a really annoying bug in Outlook when you use IMAP access to your account and you are on a slow internet connection. While an IMAP command is being performed, Outlook will just lock up, stop, freeze, dead. And if your connection just died, or is being really slow, and Outlook decides to do a 'send and receive' you can be sat there for 5 minutes waiting for the command to finish. Sometimes it doesn't and the program just crashes. Ironically since I stopped using my 3G dongle and now use home broadband, I don't have crashes near as often as I used to. Pretty sad that an app can get hung up simply because of the speed or reliability of one's connection...

Well my internet speed is about 4mbps, and my e-mail account uses the DeltaSync protocol, so I don't know what's up with it :lol:.

Status
Not open for further replies.