• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Microsoft train simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward111

what do you get on microsoft train simulator. I have rail simulator, which one is better?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai.

Established Member
Seen as no one else has answered

On Microsoft Train Sim you get basic routes but the quality and drive control in them are a bit terrible.

I've not used rail simulator but I do have a copy of it and it does seem better.

There are a lot of add-ons for both RS and MSTS but it all depends what you want from it.

gingerheid

Established Member
I'm quite addicted to MSTS. I have RS, but even though in theory it's better I've never really managed to make myself love it.

If you have a look at UKtrainsim you can get an idea of the add ons available for both (and it is the add ons that make MSTS, without them it's nothing) and see what you think of them!

Dai.

Established Member
I'm quite addicted to MSTS. I have RS, but even though in theory it's better I've never really managed to make myself love it.

If you have a look at UKtrainsim you can get an idea of the add ons available for both (and it is the add ons that make MSTS, without them it's nothing) and see what you think of them!

MSTS does most definitely have a huge user-base with modifications galore - I'd have to say RS has just under the amount of MSTS.

MCR247

Established Member
I personally don't like RS. RS completely put me off buying RW

class313

I don't want to start a war but, I have found that the add on for RS and RW, are too expensive, one of the latest train packs was £14:99, which I find far too much. Basicly if you want a better driving experience for for Railworks or the older Rail Simulator, but if you don't want to spend so much, and have a better choise of add ons, go for MSTS. But I would strongly suggest trying BVE4/OpenBVE, as they are both free, and have many great routes and trains available for them.

Fincra5

Established Member
Yes MSTS has more content but then again it has been out for roughly 9 years. Compared to RW, MSTS looks awful, and i find it drives worse. RW is a far more realistic and more pleasing to look at simultor than MSTS.

And yes some of the train packs are fairly expensive, possibly higher priced due to the huge cut steam takes from each sale, but there models are usually very detailed and some have many features. Don't forget there are a fair amount of Freeware trains on UKTS, class 317, class 86, class 58, to name but a few. As people gain experience with modelling for RW I'm sure more and more freeware trains will appear, there is massive amounts of scenery and other stuff as freeware.
#
RW is far simpler to build routes on too :)

Drsatan

Established Member
I haven't used MSTS in ages because the poor graphics annoy me now and the game continually crashes on my laptop (I'm not inclined to look into any solutions at the moment).

However, there are some very good routes available, such as Dorset Coast V6 which encompasses essentially the entire South West Trains network.

The price of additional locomotives and rolling stock for RW has been a great turn-off for me, especially as I'm a student on a limited budget. The only 3rd rail route is the Island Line from Ryde to Shanklin, which I will admit is excellent. However, there are no other 3rd rail routes or rolling stock available for RW at the moment (although someone is working on a freeware 455 and a 'Southwestern lines' route). As my interests primarily lie with the Southern Region it's another incentive not to purchase RW

GB

Established Member
This whole subject regarding MSTS vs RW vs RS etc etc is all rather subjective as it all depends on what hardware you have, what routes you use and who's stock you drive.

Ive had MSTS since it was released in the USA c2001 and at the time it was the first train sim (that I recall) aimed at the current market and was far more advanced and eye pleasing than what was then currently available.

Of course alot as come along in the 9 years or so since it was released and the lack of basic features such as TPWS, AWS and an intelligent signalling system all count against it. However there are some real gems out there (and still to come) and providing you have the setup to run them, routes like MT's GE or the freeware Dorest Coast route look brilliant. But taking into account the time difference between the different makes of train sim it stands to reason why there would be deficiencies between them.

MSTS was effectively first gen where as the later sims were able to later build on top of MSTS's success and had plenty of community support during production.

I did buy Rail Simulator when it was released and I had high hopes for it, however I soon found out that allthough it remedied some of the faults of MSTS, it contained alot of its own and I personly found the visual aspect of RS very garish and hard on the eyes....it was soon uninstalled and consigned to a dusty box! I have seen nothing that would persuade me to buy RW either.

As for the physics, well I hate to break it to you but no commercial train sim (certainly nothing current) will come close to the real thing!

I've not used rail simulator but I do have a copy of it and it does seem better

If you have not used RS then what qualifies you to say it seems better?

Dai.

Established Member
If you have not used RS then what qualifies you to say it seems better?

General graphics
Videos of routes (I always check out videos of games before buying)
Feedback from current users
and I've always made sure to ask a lot of questions before I buy to make sure the game is decent.

I never said I was qualified to answer I just came across the topic and thought I'd leave it to someone else to answer - as no one else had bothered by the time I'd looked again I thought I'd try my best to answer :)

Fincra5

Established Member
Thing is i have used all 3, MSTS, RS and RW and RW is deffinately the better. There is no point in buying RS at all, there is no more support for it.

lm321412

Hmm my opinion on this is quite varied. RS is absolutely rubbish, stay away at all costs. MSTS is what i've got used to over the years, graphics are fairly decent, plenty of stock to choose from (unlike the other two), and has a huge community of people who aren't going to give it up. RW has the glamourous graphics and don't get me wrong its ok but expensive (although steam do have some decent offers sometimes) but the loading times absolutely bore me senseless too.

Fincra5

Established Member
Hmm my opinion on this is quite varied. RS is absolutely rubbish, stay away at all costs. MSTS is what i've got used to over the years, graphics are fairly decent, plenty of stock to choose from (unlike the other two), and has a huge community of people who aren't going to give it up. RW has the glamourous graphics and don't get me wrong its ok but expensive (although steam do have some decent offers sometimes) but the loading times absolutely bore me senseless too.

That depends on how powerful you computer is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.