• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mid Hants scuppered by weekend engineering works this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Just seen tweet from SW trains that the line to Alton will be shut pretty much every weekend for the whole of July and August. I know its essential works but it is a shame for the railway as this can't help but impact visitor numbers during the peak season. Was looking forward to their bus weeknd in July too! Now it looks like I'm getting more buses than I bargained for. Full details on SW trains site.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/altoncamberleyresignalling.aspx

Alton and Camberley Lines - Major Resignalling Work
Over the next four months, engineering work will be taking place at the weekends between Brookwood and Alton and Ascot and Ash. This will allow us to complete our programme of major signalling renewals in the area. The renewal work taking place is very complex and each weekend will focus on different area that will vary the service we are able to provide. Replacement buses will be provided in areas where we are unable to provide a train service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
Anyone who wants to get pictures of Farnham, Aldershot and Ash Vale Junction signal boxes should do so asap. They are being closed as part of the works.

Monty

Established Member
It's a shame to see the boxes go, but that's progress I guess. I wonder if the MHR will be offered any of the equipment from the three boxes?

341o2

Established Member
Subject to confirmation in June, free feeder bus services will run to the bus rally from Winchester, Basingstoke,Fareham, Aldershot and Farnham, Most of these are a single return trip, ie to the rally in the morning and back in the afternoon.

Just tried the OP's link and 21 July currently showing trains running to Alton, no mention of replacement bus service to Alton on that day

Last edited:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I haven't heard of any equipment sales, but it may have happened.

The real benefit to the MHR is that as the Alton box installation was built and commissioned before this signalling work has been done, they now have to interface with us - so the mainline connection will become a signalled route on both Woking panel and Alton panel at their expense (I think!).

455driver

Veteran Member
The real benefit to the MHR is that as the Alton box installation was built and commissioned before this signalling work has been done, they now have to interface with us - so the mainline connection will become a signalled route on both Woking panel and Alton panel at their expense (I think!).

Alton becomes the fringe box to Woking, dont you just love the "modern" age! :lol:

Dasher

Anyone who wants to get pictures of Farnham, Aldershot and Ash Vale Junction signal boxes should do so asap. They are being closed as part of the works.

Is it possible to get a shot of Aldershot and Ash Vale boxes from a public area ?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Alton becomes the fringe box to Woking, dont you just love the "modern" age! :lol:

Indeed! I believe they've already started laying the cable. It'll be interesting to see how they do it - and whether they get rid of the gate or not, considering the siding is technically the overlap for that signal.

AndyPJG

Is it possible to get a shot of Aldershot and Ash Vale boxes from a public area ?

Ash Vale Jn SB is visible from Ash Ranges, accessible when the Red Flags are NOT flying. There is an access point (pedestrian) close to Ash Vale Stn.

Status
Not open for further replies.