• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Midland mainline first class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
voyagerdude220 said:
The bacon rolls on VT however are lovely

You haven't lived until you have tried GNER's weekday bacon sandwich. Freshly cooked bacon in a toastie with tomato - heaven! :D It's a shame they don't do the fresh bacon sandwiches at weekends too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Bacon and TOMATO? Tomato, in my mouth? You're joking right? That's not funny!

Poor parody attempt over (began as an attempt to parody Peter Kay, then Futurama), never would imagine anyone would want to have tomato in a bacon toastie. Still, that's the East for you...Bacon and HP sauce, now THAT is proper British. None of this adding vegetables to meat sandwiches! Especially cooked ones!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
WSXFan said:
Bacon and TOMATO? Tomato, in my mouth? You're joking right? That's not funny!

Poor parody attempt over (began as an attempt to parody Peter Kay, then Futurama), never would imagine anyone would want to have tomato in a bacon toastie. Still, that's the East for you...Bacon and HP sauce, now THAT is proper British. None of this adding vegetables to meat sandwiches! Especially cooked ones!

I totally agree with you- I hate totally tomatos! Note about me- I'll eat allmost everything which is edible, especially Dominos Pizza :D Note however, the fact I don't mind the Tomato puree on pizzas at all.

mmm... very cheap Pendolino Primo...
oops sorry just had to say that

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
WSXFan said:
Bacon and TOMATO? Tomato, in my mouth? You're joking right?

You can have it without tomato if you REALLY want to ;)

Dennis

Established Member
voyagerdude220 said:
I totally agree with you- I hate totally tomatos! Note about me- I'll eat allmost everything which is edible, especially Dominos Pizza :D Note however, the fact I don't mind the Tomato puree on pizzas at all.

mmm... very cheap Pendolino Primo...
oops sorry just had to say that

Is tomato puree not just mashed up tomatos with the pips and some of the water removed? It is like super strength special brew tomato.

Always used to amuse me the amount of tomato plants growing around train tracks, don't see that as much now. Controlled emission toilets to blame I guess.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad to know you agree with me on that voyagerdude220. It's the dislike of all things like tomatos, mayonaise (honest to God, I have no idea how anyone can eat that stuff!), onions, cheese*, lettuce, cabbage, cress...The list goes on. Tis annoying, as it means I can't eat much at all of the offerings food outlets offer at stations, on trains, etc. Worse for my mum, who is a vegetarian though!

I do love a good pizza now and again though. It is indeed one of the few places I'll allow cheese to be on my food. Don't mind the tomato sauce on there either, although sometimes they bombard the base with too much of it, which ruins the pizza, which combined with not enough cheese makes for a dis-gusting pizza (Pizza Hut take note!!!).

* Exceptions to this rule include fast food burgers, pizza and Bacon and Cheese or Ham and Cheese baguettes at Upper Crust, but only when heated. Cold cheese I've tried and found to be quite simply horrible.

Oh, and laverack222, I'd normally say that would be fine, but experience shows that the flavour and bits of tomato linger in the bread and the rest of the ingredients, making it almost worthless taking it out.
--- edited ---
spm_43030 said:

You're on then! I'll try doing it storming through Twyford at 125mph...If I manage to keep my roll in my hands and in my mouth, I'll be happy.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
WSXFan said:
Oh, and laverack222, I'd normally say that would be fine, but experience shows that the flavour and bits of tomato linger in the bread and the rest of the ingredients, making it almost worthless taking it out.

It wouldn't, because as I said, this is a freshly made sandwich - not out of a packet ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
laverack222 said:
It wouldn't, because as I said, this is a freshly made sandwich - not out of a packet ;)
It if is freshly made then surely they won't put stuff in if you ask for it to be taken out.

metrocammel

yorkie said:
It if is freshly made then surely they won't put stuff in if you ask for it to be taken out.

Ive been on GNER a few times during the day, and never come accross this "fresh" bacon sarnie!? (is it a FC only thing?) In STD Theres the Yorkshire Ham & Cheese Toastie (everyday) and I theres a "Breakfast Bap" on offer, the two aforementioned products are microwaves in a plastic wrap. It seems odd that train buffets (all TOC's) never seem to sell sausage butties - other than on the bacon & sausage "breakfast baps"

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It's fresh is it laverack222? I'll get proof of that if/when I do the HC HST later this year. Never seen it myself so far.

evil_hippo

You make a very good point metcam. I have asked about that so many times and invariably all I ahve got is the bacon sandwhich in plastic.

i think fsr's 1st class is EXTREAMLY good at the weekends upgrade for ONLY £1.50 and for that you get tea, coffee, pastries, buiscuits etc. Brilliant! Afdter fsr i would say virgin however only because of the free food, i do like gner however i have never tried the restraunt (yet). But overall my fav has to be FSR

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's not first class only, and I managed to get this on a northbound Edinburgh service in the morning. Note there are time limits, I think its only served until 11, maybe earlier, so you wouldn't get it on the Highland Chieftan.

Status
Not open for further replies.