• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Midland mainline first class

Status
Not open for further replies.

frasier

I really like GNER; we have a friend who works there, and he gives us complimentary food and first class travel. First class is good on GNER, I cannot really comment on pleb (ordinary) class. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I can't remember VT 220/221 pleb class either.

FACT: I've not been in Pendo/Bendo Pleb class yet, apart from walking through to/from the shop at weekends.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
voyagerdude220 said:
FACT: I've not been in Pendo/Bendo Pleb class yet, apart from walking through to/from the shop at weekends.

I hated having to do that, was the worst bit! (I'm not going to like going back to using standard class, I can tell ;))

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh I feel so sorry for you three! I dread to think what you'll be like in Standard Class...Remember the 10,000s of us who use Standard Class (aka Cattle Class on certain ATW trips...) every day. We're not all rich like you three. I'd go FC everywhere everytime. Judging by the number of trips I make by rail, it would cost me a fortune per week.

Got to say, I LOVE First Class. It is a disappointment to step out of FC on a HST to find no FC on the next train, or decent seating at that, as it's a WSX, ATW or other SC-only train. Still, as I'm giving up bashing HSTs, and therefore FC too, for Lent, I'm slowly getting used to Standard Class. Bloody annoying when you're waiting at Newport for a Cardiff train and the only one for 20 or more minutes is the HST. Makes giving them up tough! Still, I'm improving my haulage and mileages on the DMUs now at least!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
FGWFan said:
Oh I feel so sorry for you three! I dread to think what you'll be like in Standard Class...Remember the 10,000s of us who use Standard Class (aka Cattle Class on certain ATW trips...) every day. We're not all rich like you three. I'd go FC everywhere everytime. Judging by the number of trips I make by rail, it would cost me a fortune per week.

Calm down! I very rarely travel first. I just went first on this occassion because I was going on a 5-6 hour journey alone and wanted the extra comfort and privacy. Standard is adequete on most journeys, for example, GNER standard is in my opinion very nice. I especially like being next to the buffet in the Mallard sets :D

However, certain first class journeys are actually far better value than standard. For example, Hull-Doncaster first day single is only around £1 more than the standard fare, but Monday-Friday you are entitled to a free meal and unlimited drinks! And on long journeys, you would probably spend the difference in price anyway on refreshments.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Remind me that the fare difference is so little when I do eventually reach Hull! Would be nice to have a free meal on board the bog unit!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I mean the bog unit...;) HTP or not, they're still classed as bog units. Although that free meal might entice me to regard the HTPs differently...So long as there's no frigging mayonaise, mushrooms, onions, peppers or salad (not to mention the rest of the stuff I refuse to eat) in it...

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They actaually had some lovely choices. I had a pasta salad and a piece of cheesecake. There were also some nice looking main courses but sadly there was not enough time to cook one as I was alighting at Selby.

They also do a lovely cooked breakfast :)

I've never travelled FC, but when you're walking up the GNER sets and all those pre-made tables and those toasty lights and nice seating, then you go into standard and get a table and thats it :(.

Oh well, one day I just might.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
FGWFan said:

Got to say, I LOVE First Class. It is a disappointment to step out of FC on a HST to find no FC on the next train, or decent seating at that, as it's a WSX, ATW or other SC-only train. Still, as I'm giving up bashing HSTs, and therefore FC too, for Lent, I'm slowly getting used to Standard Class. Bloody annoying when you're waiting at Newport for a Cardiff train and the only one for 20 or more minutes is the HST. Makes giving them up tough! Still, I'm improving my haulage and mileages on the DMUs now at least!

I know what you mean, but I just hate 143s, when changing onto them at Bristol Temple M on the way to Somerset! I wouldn't care If they had a FC section in- they're just terrrrrribbllle! I don't mind what I would go on instead of one, even 150s make it seem like a "luxury", compared to 143s IMO.

As for my FC journeys: I travel aproximately every month or so on main line journeys, and child fares, along with VT1st fares are a nice combination, along with a 220/221, preferably with the engine in my cariage running.:)

I want to cover a load of VWC mileage on VT1st fares sometime, even though I'll just be travelling Bristol to Preston.. I rather like Tamworth, but the 17:58 ex Bristol, only has a 8 min connection, and the last time(and first time) I tried it, I missed the Pendo by literally seconds! Dam platform staff, and signaller! So.. My idea is to buy a VT1st Bristol TM to Milton Keynes, and then a sperate one from Milton Keynes to Preston. (preferbly the cheapest £15 ish ones)

If anyone has any other ideas, please tell me. *Note- I don't want to travel via the packed out city of London, especially not the oven-baked tube-I've luckily only gone on it once a few years ago*

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for that laverack222. Will look into doing Hull to Doncaster on a HTP, after reaching Hull on the GNER HST. We'll see.

voyagerdude220, I still think you're lucky doing FC so often. I reckon I'd spend somewhere between £100 and £200 per week on the average FC bashes per week...Seriously.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
laverack222 said:
...For example, Hull-Doncaster first day single is only around £1 more than the standard fare...

FGWFan said:
Remind me that the fare difference is so little when I do eventually reach Hull! Would be nice to have a free meal on board the bog unit!
But the difference is far larger when travelling off-peak on a YP, as no FC discount is available for young people. It's an anomaly that U16s get the full 50% discount, it's as if they're saying 16+ year olds can't behave well in FC but 15 year olds can!

DescendingSadly said:
I've never travelled FC, but when you're walking up the GNER sets and all those pre-made tables and those toasty lights and nice seating, then you go into standard and get a table and thats it :(.

Oh well, one day I just might.
You don't need a First Class ticket to use the restaurant, providing there is space available. http://www.gner.co.uk/GNER/GoEat/Restaurant/

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think the idea with saying that Y-P holders can't use 1st class was that when they were introduced by BR, Y-P railcards provide the means for young people (usually students) to travel for less. "If they can afford a discounted 1st class fare, they can probably afford a full fare standard ticket" was the thinking at the time. Back in 2004, VT allowed Y-P holders discounts on 1st class on the (at the time) Virgin Value range, I am not sure if this is the case on the new Advance X tickets.

Besides, it's not just young people, Family Railcard holders can't use their card for 1st Class and nor can Network Railcard holders (with the exception of weekend first - which Y-Ps can get too!)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yorkie said:
...it's as if they're saying 16+ year olds can't behave well in FC but 15 year olds can!

Reminds me of when I bought the ticket. I asked for the half first day single to Selby, and the lady at the ticket office said, 'do you mean the standard fare, there isn't a child first ticket'.

I said, 'no I'm sure there is one'.

Her reply was, 'oh yes, there is. I didn't know they let children in first class'.

:scratch: I thought that was quite rude tbh! As if she was already suspecting that I would do something wrong!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
laverack222 said:
Reminds me of when I bought the ticket. I asked for the half first day single to Selby, and the lady at the ticket office said, 'do you mean the standard fare, there isn't a child first ticket'.

I said, 'no I'm sure there is one'.

Her reply was, 'oh yes, there is. I didn't know they let children in first class'.

:scratch: I thought that was quite rude tbh! As if she was already suspecting that I would do something wrong!

I've never had any staff treat me like that, when travelling FC on my own. (Since I was about 12/13) Only thing I have done is make friends with 2 or 3 FC hosts, and a TM. :scratch:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
voyagerdude220 said:
I've never had any staff treat me like that, when travelling FC on my own. (Since I was about 12/13) Only thing I have done is make friends with 2 or 3 FC hosts, and a TM. :scratch:

Oh, it wasn't one of the onboard staff. I have always been pleased with the friendless and kind attitude of the first class hosts on board any of the operators. However, I often find buffet staff to be completely different. The majority seem to wish they were somewhere else, and do not look as if they enjoy their job at all.

The person I mentioned previously was one of the staff working in the ticket office at Hull station. Then again, I find the staff generally rude there anyway :(

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mojo said:
I think the idea with saying that Y-P holders can't use 1st class was that when they were introduced by BR, Y-P railcards provide the means for young people (usually students) to travel for less. "If they can afford a discounted 1st class fare, they can probably afford a full fare standard ticket" was the thinking at the time. Back in 2004, VT allowed Y-P holders discounts on 1st class on the (at the time) Virgin Value range, I am not sure if this is the case on the new Advance X tickets.

Besides, it's not just young people, Family Railcard holders can't use their card for 1st Class and nor can Network Railcard holders (with the exception of weekend first - which Y-Ps can get too!)
But how can that possibly be true? Old people with a senior railcard get the full discount! How about a bit of "If they can afford a discounted 1st class fare, they can probably afford a full fare standard ticket" for them too?!

No, it's quite clear what the intention is!

VT don't seem to allow YP discounts, I've never gone FC on Virgin because the prices are silly, e.g. where the standard fare is £10 YP, the first fare is £30 or something, like on GNER. I did GNER when it was £40 return, but not now it's £60. I'll go first on MML whenever I can book far enough in advance, when I'm not in a rush but for only as long as they use HSTs. I'd much prefer a comfy standard class GNER HST to First Class Meridian anyway.

AlexS

Established Member
Heyho, I don't worry about what train it is anymore - if the difference from me getting home from a concert at the NEC in a £40 taxi is a £7 or whatever trip on the graveyard Pendolino, 0130 or whatever time it is to get into Wolves about 0230, then I'll sit by the toilet on the 390!

Jim

Established Member
laverack222 said:
Oh, it wasn't one of the onboard staff. I have always been pleased with the friendless and kind attitude of the first class hosts on board any of the operators. However, I often find buffet staff to be completely different. The majority seem to wish they were somewhere else, and do not look as if they enjoy their job at all.

The person I mentioned previously was one of the staff working in the ticket office at Hull station. Then again, I find the staff generally rude there anyway :(

VT don't have buffet staff - they have Retail Service Managers;)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Jim said:
VT don't have buffet staff - they have Retail Service Managers;)

Lol I was going to say that myself ;) ..

Anyway.. On the mentioned subject of FC, I've now purchased a VTvalue 1st ticket for the 17:15 Euston to Glasgow, as far as Preston next month. Has anyone done Pendolino Primo before? What's it like, compared to ordinary VWC FC?

I've heard on here that it gets very rushed apparantly, for the FC hosts, preparing everything, but seeing the first stop from London is in just under 2 hours, (at Warrington Bank Quay), it isn't like they don't have alot of time to cook food for passengers?

Anyway.. I'm definately looking forward to it, and I'm sure the bargain child's fare price is worth every penny, even if it's a little more than the normal child's value 1st. I'm very surprised that I've been able to get hold of the ticket though, because of the fact it's a peak time, Pendolino Primo, service.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
voyagerdude220 said:
Lol I was going to say that myself ;) ..

Anyway.. On the mentioned subject of FC, I've now purchased a VTvalue 1st ticket for the 17:15 Euston to Glasgow, as far as Preston next month. Has anyone done Pendolino Primo before? What's it like, compared to ordinary VWC FC?

I've heard on here that it gets very rushed apparantly, for the FC hosts, preparing everything, but seeing the first stop from London is in just under 2 hours, (at Warrington Bank Quay), it isn't like they don't have alot of time to cook food for passengers?

Anyway.. I'm definately looking forward to it, and I'm sure the bargain child's fare price is worth every penny, even if it's a little more than the normal child's value 1st. I'm very surprised that I've been able to get hold of the ticket though, because of the fact it's a peak time, Pendolino Primo, service.
What date is this? It's not Easter Friday or something like that (which would not have any sort of service) by any chance?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
nope it isn't, I realised that myself. (And also wondered how all of the VT Value range was available at the evening peak.)

There's only going to be 1/2 the normal Euston to Preston/Carlisle/Glasgow services running at around 17:15, with altered departure times.

evil_hippo

voyagerdude220 said:
I've now purchased a VTvalue 1st ticket for the 17:15 Euston to Glasgow, as far as Preston next month. Has anyone done Pendolino Primo before? What's it like, compared to ordinary VWC FC?

A VV1st on a primo train? You should consider yourself very, very lucky to find that. VV1sts on those services are extremely rare (as not only do you get so much food for the price, but they are invariably peak trains). I envy you.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
evil_hippo said:
A VV1st on a primo train? You should consider yourself very, very lucky to find that. VV1sts on those services are extremely rare (as not only do you get so much food for the price, but they are invariably peak trains). I envy you.

I'm fully aware of that- it's the only reason why I'm going Bristol-(VT std 220/221) Birmingham-(VT 1st Pendo) Euston- (VT 1st Pendolino Primo)Preston, instead of a different route via Yorkshire (which I haven't done before.)

Also, judging by the fact a FC host was very willing to serve me alchohol on a Brum to Coventry Pendo a few weeks ago (I think realising the fact I'm under age was the last thing on his mind), you never know If you'll see an under-aged drunk at Preston, getting off the 19:40 from Euston ;)

I would have thought VT has a strict policy of FC host's serving alcohol to any passengers they think are under age.. Or do they think that children can't travel on their own in FC, just like the Hull ticket office's staff??

Disclaimer- I'm not planning on trying to get as much alchohol as I can whilst I'm on the train, purely because It's obviouslly illeagal for me. I personally prefer a nice glass of orange juice ;), although I'd go for something you can't get on a 220/221 in FC. (Virtually everything on the trolley!)

Edit- Evil Hippo- O, the joys of going VT1st on Pendolino Primo, for just £24.50 ;) You could probablly pay a good percentage of that in standard class, in the shop, topping up with tea, coffe, and over-priced food! (Assuming you've not brought any with you) The bacon rolls on VT however are lovely!

Also, please will everyone, especially Evil Hippo, look at:
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/img/first_and_club/PrimoMenu.pdf
(And especially focus on the drinks section, and the Primo Evening Meal section)

And before I go, a tip about FGW's buffet food:

DON'T go ANY WHERE NEAR fgw's yuck Bacon rolls!! I'd rather starve than have one of those again, although I rarely use FGW at all. I definately won't do again when possible, after the sh** service they gave me in FC in 1/2 term.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy FC with FGW. Comments sent to FGW about it? I personally LOVE the bacon rolls, although I had one once which was not nice in any sense, ended up with me sampling the carriage's bathrooms eventually...

As for getting that ticket on a Primo service, WOW! Luck was on your side! Never done a Primo or even a 390 in regular FC, but I'm assured it's worth it. One day, I might JUST get a ticket to do the Primo, but I'll be lucky. Maybe on an FC ALR one day...Again I'll be lucky...DO let us know how much enjoyment you have on it, I'm FAAAAAR from envious...

Sprog

Established Member
I was gonna do MML FC tomorrow when i go 2 Loughborough, but tbh, it doenst sound over-special, and seeming im on a budget, ill keep that on my list!

Gonna do heads-out up the MML with Jamie instead :D:D

However, im FC'ing it to London tomorrow and then back on Sunday.

Looking forward to tucking into a steaming fGW Bacon Bap and my complimentry coffee (s) ;) :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad we agree there Jim! I don't like the breakfast rolls either, they've got so much in there I can't eat. If it was a bacon, sausage and HP sauce roll, I'd be loving it.

Enjoy your H-O Sprog, and your bacon roll. I'm looking forward to delighting in FC on a HST to Paddington again in May myself, as well as a bacon roll!

EDIT: Sprog, if you can do FC on an MML HST, you'll LOVE it. Ultra nice seats, nice hostesses, good coffee, nice snacks (I had some chocolate snack thing last time when I was in MML FC, it was absolutely delicious! Want to know what that item was!), nice atmosphere...You thought FC on FGW was good? Try an MML HST FC, if you've been on units for hours on end just before it, trust me it's a heavenly experience (it was for me at least, I'd been on a 170/5 for a bit more than 3 hours when I did it from Notts, the FC was sooooo very nice!)

Jim

Established Member
WSXFan said:
Enjoy your H-O Sprog, and your bacon roll. I'm looking forward to delighting in FC on a HST to Paddington again in May myself, as well as a bacon roll!

:lol: Why not do h-o at the same time as eating it:lol:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.