• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Mileage between 1st January 2014 and 31st December 2014 (incl.) only. Travel for leisure or commuting purposes only.

Main Resouces
RailMiles Mileage Engine (RMME) - NR, LU, Croydon Tramlink, NET; mileages present for other systems but incomplete
Light Rail Distance Charts - contains all missing mileages not in RailMiles (measurements in metres)
Selected RailMiles Mileage Engine Station Names - contains all LU, Croydon Tramlink and NET station names, and selected other awkward station names used in RailMiles.

Supplementary Resources
DLR Stratford International Branch - thanks to TheJRB
Midland Metro (and here) - thanks to 45041 and MattE2010
LOROL - Surrey Quays to Queens Road Peckham - thanks to TheJRB
Chains to miles
Milepost data - calculation required
Mileage for preserved lines

Mileage covered on all railways counts towards your total, including heritage lines, foreign mileage, trams, light rail and LU - providing you can find accurate mileage data.

Click here for 2014 mileage league table

You can enter your mileage total here, towards the bottom of the page.

Please note that any attempt at disrupting the competition will result in an infraction and immediate disqualification from this year's competition.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1st miles of the year today. Went Tyne & Wear metro bashing, in hope i would get my last Metro Car.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Was hoping to take the lead last night but I see bb21 isn't going to let it slip that easily.

The table needs to be coded to sort mileages into descending order. Also would it be possible to add a 'position' column on the LHS, i.e. 1. 2. 3. etc.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Was hoping to take the lead last night but I see bb21 isn't going to let it slip that easily.

The table needs to be coded to sort mileages into descending order. Also would it be possible to add a 'position' column on the LHS, i.e. 1. 2. 3. etc.

I will quickly slide down as I won't be doing much in the next 2-3 months.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Made a start to my mileage this year, a return to Norwich and back today to see the football (blooming ref) puts me on 47 miles so far...

Crossover

Established Member
Added my first 18 miles 24 chains this afternoon with an unexpected return trip to Leeds with a friend. About a month earlier than I started last year (in which I had no mileage for January!)

Next will hopefully come next week when for the first time I am out of the office at a business meeting in Manchester and the train in the easiest/most sensible way to get to it :D :D :D

jnjkerbin

Started this year yesterday with a 56 mile return trip to Redhill. Setting myself a target of 9000 miles this year.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
My one journey so far has been Milton Keynes Central to Hastings on New Year's Day, transferring between Euston (Bank Branch) to London Bridge on the Northern line.

Starmill

Veteran Member
A surprising amount from just a GM Evening Ranger and a Lancashire Day Ranger there! Not going to be that high for long though.

1e10

I'm off with 3 miles! Went down to Bristol TM to purchase some advance tickets.

Established Member
My New Year's Resolution is to try and keep up to date a bit better than last year so have just typed everything up so far for 2014. First big trip of the year starts next week but probably won't go too mad as:
a) Switzerland is not the easiest place to rack up kms (or miles)
b) flying out and back so no big moves to get there
c) gets dark early this time of year so less likely to stay out late

30mog

Not been on a train or tram yet this year. Plan to bash as many miles as possible out of a GM Rail Ranger tomorrow.

If all goes well. I will clock up 89 miles on NR & Metrolink.

Last edited:

ScottishIain

Made my first train journey to Edinburgh & back for the football today so that's me started.

Shall be adding to it quite a bit next weekend when I spend it in London, travelling both ways by train.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Lrd

Established Member
I have a trip to Leeds on Saturday to kick of this year, via London so will get plenty of mileage in. :)

30mog

Owing to a last minute glitch. The 89 miles I had in mind didn't happen. However, I should get off the Mark this weekend.

Do rail miles anywhere in the world count? If so, there is something I know that none of you don't that will give me a BIG HIT!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Do rail miles anywhere in the world count? If so, there is something I know that none of you don't that will give me a BIG HIT!

You don't have a paper written on how the world is actually a giant railway carriage travelling at 125mph do you? If thats the case I'm afraid it doesn't only count for you!

But seriously, if its a vehicle which travels on a track made of parallel steel rails then it counts! Be it National Rail, Preserved rail, tram, underground, metro, Cliff Railway(!) it counts, so long as you can find accurate distance data.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I claimed the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway last year! Probably my most unusual mileage though I'm sure others could beat it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
How to people record their mileage - i do quite a bit as i dont have a car so should take part? Is there a spreadsheet?

30mog

Just as a matter of interest. Here is how I keep a summary of all rail bashing. This is the last version of notes for 2013. Having got going with 73 miles (and 38 chains) today. The 2014 version is started but doesn't say much yet:

Rail Miles 2013

Miles: 3633
Fares: £633.40p
Pence per mile: 17.43p

Train Operating Companies:
East Midlands Trains, Northern Rail, Cross Country, Trans Pennine Express, Virgin, Scotrail, Arriva Trains Wales, Merseyrail, London Midland, Greater Anglia, First Capital Connect, First Hull Trains, Chiltern Railways, South West Trains, Southern, London Overground.

Heritage Lines:
Severn Valley Railway, East Lancashire Railway, Midland Railway Centre

Tram Systems:
Greater Manchester Metrolink
Sheffield Supertram

Metro Systems:
London Underground
Glasgow Subway

Mainline Train Types (national rail & heritage, diesel & electric):
20,31,33,37,43,45,47,50,52,55,67,73,91,142,144,150,153,158,170,172, 175,180,185,220,221,222,318,319,323,334,350,377,378,380,390,444,507,508

Adjusted figures that don't include heritage railways:
Miles: 3557
Fares: £575.40p
Pence Per Mile: 16.17p

Miles of National Rail Network covered at least once in above calculations: 2137

alex17595

I have a sheet of paper with:

Date
Origin
Destination
Distance (Miles and chains)
Loco/unit number +TOC
WTT Departure time
WTT Arrival time
Actual Departure time
Actual Arrival time
Delay minutes

I think I went over the top! Ot will be put on to a nice crisp spreadsheet soon, I will also through the headcode in.

263.16 miles completed on wmdr!

EDIT: Here is my spreadsheet. Use it as a template if you like.

Attachments

• Train Table.xlsx
    13 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's remarkable what a difference having a relatively close relationship with local rail makes... It's my first year doing this so no way of knowing of course, but I don't commute and have only done one 'day out' so far (which admittedly is responsible for about half my total). Nearly 700 miles already though!

Status
Not open for further replies.