• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Misuse of the word 'TUBE'

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I suppose maybe one reason for TfL to treat LO as separate from other NR services (in publicity, automated announcements etc.) is simply down to needing to be both concise and understandable. Of course, LO is 'different' to other TOCs in that the franchise is awarded by TfL rather than the Department of Transport (though I'm sure the average Londoner doesn't consider this when deciding which term to use!).

I've never been to Glasgow and I know that their 'underground' is known as The Subway- but that still seems like an Americanism to me. I tend to refer to LU as 'The Tube' or 'The Underground' but I treat the two terms as interchangeable- Unless I'm making a point that requires me to distinguish between deep level or SSL lines. Certain brand names work better than others for transit systems- I use the Metrolink in Manchester quite often, but I always refer to it as the Tram. Likewise I've never heard anyone in Sheffield say "I'm getting the Supertram". Having said that, people in Liverpool tend to treat Merseyrail as a separate system from the 'surface' railway too- but on the other hand I've never heard anyone refer to urban bus routes as 'The Red Line' or whatever their local operator has tried to name them!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TrainBoy98

If were gonna get that pedantic, then we shouldnt call the underground the underground, becuase most of its is actually overground!

Status
Not open for further replies.