• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Misused Freedom pass in Tube, recieved a letter from TFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
My take was subtly different: they (the OP) obtained the card from their parent and passed it on to their friend, supposedly for the friend's parent to use, but the friend used it themself.

Whichever version, it isn't a happy tale.
This was my reading of the events. Whichever, the OP took the pass from its rightful owner without consent, passed it to a second party for the purpose of the second party passing it to the third party, with the intent of dishonestly using it.

The best advice for the OP is that they cease being an intermediary for advice for their friend, because no advice they give their friend could be impartial considering they are also implicated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
This was my reading of the events. Whichever, the OP took the pass from its rightful owner without consent, passed it to a second party for the purpose of the second party passing it to the third party, with the intent of dishonestly using it.

The best advice for the OP is that they cease being an intermediary for advice for their friend, because no advice they give their friend could be impartial considering they are also implicated.
I absolutely agree.

Statto

Established Member
My reading of events too, the OP thought it was ok to give the pass for someone else to use, it states otherwise in the T&C.

Lending your card to someone else​

Please do not lend your pass to friends or relatives. The Freedom Pass is only to be used by the authorised holder. For more information, please read the conditions of use below.

2. The Freedom Pass remains the property of London Councils and is not transferable. It may only be used by the holder whose name appears on the front and may not be used by anyone else.

Cricketboy

Thank you for your advice.

May I ask will TFL give any confirmation or automatically reply from TFL for receiving the response email to them?

And when will they start to investigate the incident and when may they come to me?

Can’t stop thinking about this.

Veteran Member
And when will they start to investigate the incident and when may they come to me?
Your friend will hear from them when they follow this up, which could be a few weeks.
If they contact you at all (and they may not do so) it will be after that.

jumble

Thank you for your advice.

May I ask will TFL give any confirmation or automatically reply from TFL for receiving the response email to them?

Can’t stop thinking about this.
TFL may never come to you
Even if they do they have no evidence that you are involved at all beyond the fact that your "friend" says you gave them the pass
This will I suspect be too difficult/time consuming for TFL to untangle if you were for example to say you were asked to hand your "friend" a sealed envelope and had no idea of its contents till the friend was caught or any number of other fairy stories

Where you will come a cropper is if TFL do contact you and you admit what you did they will have the easiest evidence in the world to prosecute
As many others have advised you if TFL come you need a solicitor to reply on your behalf

For my sins I have three times in my life been in the position of keeping silent when faced by authorities questioning and in all 3 cases I never heard from them again

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
Even if they do they have no evidence that you are involved at all beyond the fact that your "friend" says you gave them the pass
Except for
My parent applied it with my email address, but she has already left UK.
I suppose there are still people who travel internationally but don't have email addresses.

Cricketboy

This will I suspect be too difficult/time consuming for TFL to untangle if you were for example to say you were asked to hand your "friend" a sealed envelope and had no idea of its contents till the friend was caught or any number of other fairy stories

Where you will come a cropper is if TFL do contact you and you admit what you did they will have the easiest evidence in the world to prosecute
As many others have advised you if TFL come you need a solicitor to reply on your behalf

For my sins I have three times in my life been in the position of keeping silent when faced by authorities questioning and in all 3 cases I never heard from them again
Thank you, but would keeping silence work for my friend too, if she kept silence when she was caught?

Wolfie

Established Member
Thank you, but would keeping silence work for my friend too, if she kept silence when she was caught?
Your friend could have kept silent when she was caught. She could also have been prosecuted.

Cricketboy

Hi, Guys, TFL didn't come to me. and my friend has received a letter asking her to attend court to plead guilty or not and They count all the last 3-month cost of the travel on her, but most of which are not her travels,(it seems TFLdin't read her reply email at all) but in the letter, TFL said if plead not guilty, it will cost more money for TFL(which will finally ask my friend to pay for it) if she pleads not guilty if she pleads guilty, will they give her a criminal record? will the criminal record prevent her from extending her working visa? they asked to provide personal information including employer detail, will the court inform her company about this? she doesn't want to lose her job, and wants to stay in the UK. what should she do?

Thank you for any advice.

Snow1964

Established Member
I have no idea who he called. Didn’t know that was a thing. They cannot obtain that information from the bank straight away, maybe ever. I’m sure that would be breaking GDPR if they did that? I don’t get that part as addresses aren’t on bank cards and like I said, I’m sure that is a GDPR violation. Can only think they contacted HQ and requested it from previous use? I really don’t know. Someone else may be able to help with that.

Cannot get direct info from a bank, but can instigate a dummy remote sale, where it checks card is valid and postcode. Possibly if person had checked there was a pending transaction on the card for a few days which subsequently lapsed as not processed.

The Account holders name will be on the card, but what it won’t show is if the person holding the card isn’t that person, only the name they give matches the bank card (even if it isn’t their bank card)

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Hi, Guys, TFL didn't come to me. and my friend has received a letter asking her to attend court to plead guilty or not and They count all the last 3-month cost of the travel on her, but most of which are not her travels,(it seems TFLdin't read her reply email at all) but in the letter, TFL said if plead not guilty, it will cost more money for TFL(which will finally ask my friend to pay for it) if she pleads not guilty if she pleads guilty, will they give her a criminal record? will the criminal record prevent her from extending her working visa? they asked to provide personal information including employer detail, will the court inform her company about this? she doesn't want to lose her job, and wants to stay in the UK. what should she do?

Thank you for any advice.
Most of these questions are about what will happen to your friend's right to stay and work in this country. This isn't something we can advise on - your friend needs to talk to a proper immigration adviser. The Citizens' Advice may be able to point your friend in the right direction.

Cricketboy

one more question please, how could she find a proper solicitor please? are the ones found on google trustable please?
she tried to request TFL to settle out of court ,but she need has other back up plans,Is there any other things can she do before the court date please?

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
one more question please, how could she find a proper solicitor please? are the ones found on google trustable please?
she tried to request TFL to settle out of court ,but she need has other back up plans,Is there any other things can she do before the court date please?
The Law Society (which is the association that all solicitors belong to) has a page that might help your friend find someone at https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/. I am pretty sure that anyone you contact through this will be a proper solicitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.