• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MMI choosing answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave999

Hi,

This forum had been incredible and helped me massively to get to the last hurdle with GTR. I've passed the DMI and now have the MMI later this week, I have a good idea of the kind of questions I will be asked but am struggling to work out what to choose to use as examples.

I'm in a fortunate position of being a Firefighter and more recently being in be role of incident commander, the issue I have is that I can use managing incidents and dealing with emergencies for every question in one context or another. Do you think it would be wise for me to use other examples in my life to mix it up? Such as when I was a postman 10 years ago if I get asked about working alone or using a totally different area of my life if asked about solving a problem.

Any advice is much appreciated thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

S6RED

Hi,

I just sat my MMI interview yesterday an hour after all the stage 2 exams.
We had to write a line (25 words ish) under each situation at the beginning of the day. By the time the interview came around, after sitting and passing the exams, I had almost forgotten my question asnwers as so much info had been processed in my brain. But they do talk you through your answers to jog your memory.
You are allowed to use the same example for different questions AS LONG as it is relative, although I wouldn't suggest using the same example for them all. try and think what they will be looking for an relate your own experiences to suit.

I hope this helps.

S6RED

donpoku

Mate the truth is they are looking at your how you handle it not what you handle. You'll be fine as long as it's all genuine.

Dave999

Thanks for the replies that helps a lot. Cheers

Last edited:

johnsonr380

Dave, I'm no expert but passed mine a couple of years ago. Just have a few examples in mind. I used a few from my app and DMI. A big help I think is it asks for your MMI examples at the start of your day before the tests, so you know what your walking into. They do give you a bit of time to think of your examples before you write them down. You'll be okay I'm sure, good luck

Last edited:

russmcp

Use recent examples, easier to recollect and its all in your head.

Typical trumpton over thinking it, must have kept you awake during your night shift.... I think you can guess which emergency service I used to work for Dave :)

Dave999

Haha cheers! I wrote my examples on the assessment day 2 months ago and can't remember exactly which ones I used which is a bit annoying. As you say though I think I might be overthinking this! :)

johnsonr380

I used a few off my app, if your TOC is like northerns you can login and go over it. Failing that write them from memory. Most of us are guilty of over thinking things, it's natural. I'm sure you'll be fine

IKB

Personally I would stick to the STAR method as outlined in the practice material.

Incident commander would be useful for answering the emergency situation question, but remember they are looking for a specific time/event where you demonstrated your competence, not a general overview of your responsibilities. Being the incident commander for a specific large fire would be perfect. The supplementary questions will focus in on what you did on that particular day.

I used different examples for each question, but I gather others on here used one example for two questions. I tried to keep my examples within the last five or so years so that I could remember the examples in a reasonable enough detail. All but one of my examples were work related.

Dave999

Thanks for that, my job is so varied that I have lots of examples not just incidents. My plan is to definitely use STAR and to use different specific examples. Cheers

Romneym335

Thanks for that, my job is so varied that I have lots of examples not just incidents. My plan is to definitely use STAR and to use different specific examples. Cheers

So if I'm being dim, never heard of STAR. What does it stand for? I've always used CAR -Context Action Result

TDK

Established Member
They may ask you if you could have done better in one or some of you answers to scenarios. They also may ask you if you saw someone breaking the rules of your role and they were you mate what would you do!

Be honest, don't harp on about your previous role but stick to the relevant parts of your previous role that will enhance your training, communication, rules & regs, safety, etc.

One example - A question may be - Describe a time where you have operated to strict rules and regulations - think about what they require you to do as a train driver and then answer the question relating the information to the interviewer in relation to the role and not in relation to being a fire fighter!

You can use any experience in your past to answer a question:- Another example

Describe a time when you have spent time alone - read the question - nothing about work is asked in the question - A train driver will spend up to 5 hours alone so describe a time when you have spent 5 plus hours alone - this could be Fishing (I used this one) walking, running - anything however being an ex postman will do as long as the shifts you did were 5 hours plus.

Too many applicants don't actually listen to the question and put across what they think or what people have told them on here to say and fail. Always listen carefully to the question and then apply an answer - all questions are relevant to the role. One thing to add - remember that the interviewer probably knows nothing about being a fire fighter!!!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So if I'm being dim, never heard of STAR. What does it stand for? I've always used CAR -Context Action Result

Context - action - result - performance and improvement comes to mind ;)

Last edited:

Dave999

TDK thats invaluable advice and I will take it on board. Thank you very much.
MMI done now the wait, kicking myself for not answering some of the questions as well as I should of and found it harder than the DMI. Thanks for all the help :)

TDK

Established Member
TDK thats invaluable advice and I will take it on board. Thank you very much.
MMI done now the wait, kicking myself for not answering some of the questions as well as I should of and found it harder than the DMI. Thanks for all the help :)

Good luck - let us know your result.

Dave999

Wow! I passed! Thank you so much for all the advice. Medical next, better not go too crazy with the mince pies this year! :)

mresh91

Well done Dave999, I'm chuffed for you. When I had mine, they were probing quite a bit, but you could tell they were trying their best to work with you. I'm just waiting for the day I get my chance to do my 2nd MMI... and pass of course! ;)

Saintsman

Nice one congratulations Dave999 did they give you an idea of how long you could be waiting?

TDK

Established Member
Thanks mate, no they didn't say but I'm being sent for a medical soon which seems promising.

If you get to medical generally if you pass the medical the job id yours, well done!

Chloe88

Describe a time when you have spent time alone - read the question - nothing about work is asked in the question - A train driver will spend up to 5 hours alone so describe a time when you have spent 5 plus hours alone - this could be Fishing (I used this one) walking, running - anything however being an ex postman will do as long as the shifts you did were 5 hours plus.

With working alone/ spent time alone question.

Is this question all about being on your own? Because i have examples of working alone but i have contact with people.

Like being a postman, although you're working alone, there must be some contact and communication with people on route.

Thanks

Chloe :)

With working alone/ spent time alone question.

Is this question all about being on your own? Because i have examples of working alone but i have contact with people.

Like being a postman, although you're working alone, there must be some contact and communication with people on route.

Thanks

Chloe :)

Hi Chloe,

I think the best advise I can give you is to relax and be yourself. The person conducting the interview will help you out more than you think! Don't be afraid to ask questions during the interview, if you are uncertain of an answer ask them to expand on what they want to know. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.