• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML disruption 10/1/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Little bit surprised that no one has posted about this.

MML has been blocked all lines at Harpenden since 1230 today with a (railway) radio mast leaning dangerously towards the tracks, presumably due to the high winds earlier.

Teams on site now to cut it down.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Saint66

It's been discussed in the Weather thread, because it was caused by the high winds.

However, I just posted this in there:

Just walked past St Albans, where trains seemingly being turned around. No info on the screens, but didn't appear to be much confusion, and there was 10-12 coaches lined up outside for passengers.

A crane is now on site to assist in the removal.

However, I saw two services running fast through St Albans about 20 minutes ago not stopping going south... Any idea what these would have been?

Last edited:

21C101

Established Member
It's been discussed in the Weather thread, because it was caused by the high winds.

The high winds are not that bad. Certainly nowhere near enough to fell a radio mast.

Judging by the photo on the EMT twitter site its the old CSR mast rather than the new GSM mast. That would have gone in quite a while back so it could be decay. Most of them went in in the '90s but that could be much older maybe early 80s when it was first electrified as it was the first DOO line.

Will certainly be a need to examine carefully other similar vintage masts

Last edited:

Saint66

The high winds are not that bad. Certainly nowhere near enough to fell a radio mast.

Seems to me that there is a wider cause which the high winds have highlighted. Glad I didn't have my signature on the design or installation docs! The main concern will I'm sure be whether this is a one off or there are various identical installations elsewhere that need review.

A squall line passed through the area about half an hour before the incident was dsicovered, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Fwiw, the mast has fallen, it is simply leaning at a dangerous angle towards the rail line, and looks to be a rusted one which is quite old, so I would think that winds could have caused this, especially after the battering on last winter... It's probably been weakened over time.

Just seen your edit while I was replying! :)

Last edited:

21C101

Established Member
A squall line passed through the area about half an hour before the incident was dsicovered, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Fwiw, the mast has fallen, it is simply leaning at a dangerous angle towards the rail line, and looks to be a rusted one which is quite old, so I would think that winds could have caused this, especially after the battering on last winter... It's probably been weakened over time.

Just seen your edit while I was replying! :)

Yeah, I edited it after seeing the photo. The designer of that is probably in an old peoples home somewhere, sleeping soundly. Looks like it went in years before CDM was brought in.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Teams on site now to cut it down.

It occurs to me that if TL are still using Cab Secure Radio, rather than GSM-R, then there could be disruption for quite a while if that mast is cut down. That is a high mast and those antennas will cover a significant length of track. Looks like fun getting to work on Monday :|

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It's a GSM-R railway now.

(Wish there was a "thank fk for that emoticon")

Saint66

Latest from EMT: Crane is on site, and the fire brigade are assisting in the removal.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

Had it been a non railway telecom fixture , that would have equated to "force majeure" for cancellations , this will probably go down to NR's budget

Good job it is not the GSMR one , which would have made the service restoration a bit harder when it is felled.

Not a good day methinks. Least it was not a working day.

Mugby

Established Member
I was changing trains at Nottingham at 18.30.

The 18.05 London was terminating at Bedford and it was 30mins late, the 18.32 London was cancelled.
There were notices on the screens advising passengers to take the Norwich service as far as Grantham and change there for Kings Cross.

On arrival at Derby I noticed that the next London service was terminating at Luton.

Abpj17

I wondered if it might have appeared on the epicly long thameslink threads too = but not yet.

If anyone is on the ground - I'd be grateful for advice on which replacement services are really running e.g. bus from hitchin to luton (as family member is landing at gatwick planning to return to luton by train in a few minutes...)

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Line should be reopening imminently according to EMT, so by the time that train gets from Gatwick to Harpenden, I would imagine it would be able to run through :)

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Line now reported to have re-opened, but not possible to run a normal EMT service for the remainder of the night due to unit and crew displacement.

The emergency service pattern saw Sheffield fast and slows terminating at Luton, with Nottingham stopper services terminating at Bedford. Nottingham fasts were cancelled, and for a time there was a Kettering to Corby shuttle in operation - later replaced by a taxi service.

Ticket acceptance was reportedly in place on East and West coast lines, plus various bus services.

Yabbadabba

When did the last unit swap over to GSM-R as certainly before christnmas we were operating on both systems as FCC seemed very reluctant to change over systems. If its tottaly gone then they need to make a start on recovering equipment to make space for TMS.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
When did the last unit swap over to GSM-R as certainly before christnmas we were operating on both systems as FCC seemed very reluctant to change over systems. If its tottaly gone then they need to make a start on recovering equipment to make space for TMS.

That I don't know, but any GTR unit can be diagrammed into LBG now, and the CSR was switched off there 3 weeks ago. Ergo, they must all have GSMR

Yabbadabba

That I don't know, but any GTR unit can be diagrammed into LBG now, and the CSR was switched off there 3 weeks ago. Ergo, they must all have GSMR

That would of explain it then, 2 1/2 leave before Christams coming back on Christmas Day so missed the last unit being switched over.

Abpj17

Line should be reopening imminently according to EMT, so by the time that train gets from Gatwick to Harpenden, I would imagine it would be able to run through :)

Thanks (the other problem is ofc there seem to be no Gatwick trains through - they are showing as terminating at West Hampstead and delayed because of planned engineering etc.). Don't worry too much now the mast is sorted - that makes it less traumatic!

John Webb

Established Member
The hold-up caused problems for people attending the Chiltern Model Railway show at the Alban Arena today - some people I spoke to at the exhibition (while manning the St Albans South stand) had been delayed by up to 2 hours!
An EMU was held in the Down Fast platform for a considerable while, but left going north around 3pm. And between about 2.30 and 3.30pm there were a couple of EM trains on the up fast. The slow line trains were terminating at St Albans via the turn-back siding. So there weren't many trains for box visitors to see this afternoon.

Tomnick

Established Member
for a time there was a Kettering to Corby shuttle in operation - later replaced by a taxi service.
There's not been so much as a hint of a train service at Corby since the 13:16 left (late, seemingly whilst they worked out what to do with it) for Kettering, where it appears to have remained until the last hour or so. Given that they must have been struggling for resources north of the blockage, I suppose it makes sense to knock these on the head first. I'm happy anyway - Saturday late turn has never been so peaceful!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The hold-up caused problems for people attending the Chiltern Model Railway show at the Alban Arena today - some people I spoke to at the exhibition (while manning the St Albans South stand) had been delayed by up to 2 hours!

I must have seen you! First and last time I'm ever going to that event. Really not my scene.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I must have seen you! First and last time I'm ever going to that event. Really not my scene.

Please take this in the best spirit but what did you expect to see at the event? For the record I didn't attend as I was watching Derby beat Ipswich! Apologies for going off topic.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's not been so much as a hint of a train service at Corby since the 13:16 left (late, seemingly whilst they worked out what to do with it) for Kettering, where it appears to have remained until the last hour or so. Given that they must have been struggling for resources north of the blockage, I suppose it makes sense to knock these on the head first. I'm happy anyway - Saturday late turn has never been so peaceful!

Hopefully your signal box has double glazing although I suspect that all the remaining ones have.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Please take this in the best spirit but what did you expect to see at the event? For the record I didn't attend as I was watching Derby beat Ipswich! Apologies for going off topic.

A lot more model railways being exhibited, a lot fewer trade stands, and being brutally honest, a lot more families with kids (like mine) and not so many blokes 'of a certain age'.

I reckon I saw 8 kids total, out of about 700 people, and 2 of them were mine.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
A lot more model railways being exhibited, a lot fewer trade stands, and being brutally honest, a lot more families with kids (like mine) and not so many blokes 'of a certain age'.

Fair play! I own a layout which will be exhibited this spring. I've not been to a exhibition in 20 odd years so this should be interesting!

Last edited:

Class377

This is a shame to hear. I don't think I've been in a decade but went several times as a young kid with my family, as you allude to. It's disappointing to hear it's become more commercial/stereotypical.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Apologies for taking this OT.

Just retrieved the programme from the recycling. 65 stands, of which 17 were layouts, maybe 7 of which were of a size that would fit in the boot of an estate car with the seats down. £8 to get in (although kids free). Being my debut I'm not sure if this is typical or not.

Back on topic. I see the first train north has made it to Derby, but no onward connections to Nottingham. Are buses being provided?

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Apologies for taking this OT.

Just retrieved the programme from the recycling. 65 stands, of which 17 were layouts, maybe 7 of which were of a size that would fit in the boot of an estate car with the seats down. £8 to get in (although kids free). Being my debut I'm not sure if this is typical or not.

Back on topic. I see the first train north has made it to Derby, but no onward connections to Nottingham. Are buses being provided?

17 out of 65 is a very poor return, whether that's the norm or not.

MrCub

Again off topic, sorry.

I went to this today and was caught up in the wire problems trying to get home. I really agree about it being overly commercial and not enough layouts. The smaller scale craft stalls were interesting but essentially it was £8 to see a load of living adverts for stuff.

Bus replacement to Luton. It was alright, but the poor member of staff left outside alone to deal with passengers was struggling because of lack of proper arrangements

RJ

Established Member
I'm being affected by this. On 1F79 2126 St Pancras to Derby at the moment. As is always the case with EMT mainline services I board, it's losing time, despite not being directly affected by the original incident.

I came down to London on this train yesterday, which was also delayed.

Still, could have been a lot worse!

Tomnick

Established Member
Hopefully your signal box has double glazing although I suspect that all the remaining ones have.
Most, but by no means all, do - the establishment of choice today even has air conditioning! Recognising the value of fresh air, though, I prefer to have at least a window cracked open - the electric heater easily capable of defeating the icy breeze emerging from the adjacent tunnel. I'd much rather have a Romesse stove though!

I'm being affected by this. On 1F79 2126 St Pancras to Derby at the moment. As is always the case with EMT mainline services I board, it's losing time, despite not being directly affected by the original incident.
I was watching that one, and the others around it, closely as they were stopping me going home (possessions to be granted). The hefty delay at Wellingborough appeared to result from waiting for a late-running Up train over the single slow line, the fasts having been taken under possession as planned. All down to the oroginal incident as a reaction!

Status
Not open for further replies.