• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

InTheEastMids

Syston to Trent requires the Kegworth grid feeder, whereas Wigston to Syston can be fed from Braybrooke. A progressive approach would be more sensible, in my opinion. If only to reduce start-stop cycles on the 810 engines.
Yes, compared to Kegworth, the Braybrooke feeder has the slight advantage of existing ;)

As far as I know they're hasn't been a planning application or any community engagement for the substation at Kegworth (I think Rushcliffe is the relevant LPA)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edvid

Established Member
Another OLE125 update - 50% (99) of the planned headspan renewals between Luton and Bedford have been done thus far.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Another OLE125 update - 50% (99) of the planned headspan renewals between Luton and Bedford have been done thus far.

Or to be more precise, headspan replacements. Would be rather surprising if they were being renewed.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Presumably component change to deal with the increased tension in the catenary.
If you look at the pictures in the LinkedIn post quoted, you’ll see that the headspan design is being replaced by a more sturdy portal design (which looks like a goalpost, due to the addition of the long horizontal beam above all four tracks).

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
If you look at the pictures in the LinkedIn post quoted, you’ll see that the headspan design is being replaced by a more sturdy portal design (which looks like a goalpost, due to the addition of the long horizontal beam above all four tracks).
Indeed but thats only at one location theres a lot more than 99 headspans between Mill Hill and Bedford so are these being installed for anchoring the wire runs?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

No, headspans remain, with changed componentry.

In a few places Portals are going up, but they are very much the exception.

Mikey C

Established Member

To think that the worry was that the 810s would be in service way before the headspan work had been done...

londonmidland

Established Member
Neil O’Brien, the MP for South Leicestershire, posted this, this morning, regarding the urge to keep Spion Cop Bridge in Wigston open, when bridge works take place -

*South Wigston bridge* I recently met with Network Rail to discuss how they will handle the next phase of electrification work on the midland mainline. I am now also going to meet with ministers on this issue.

The electrification project is a huge investment, which will improve the service. It will make the trains quieter, cleaner, more reliable, cheaper to run, and a bit faster.

However, I am pressing Network Rail and DFT to do the work in in a way that allows Spion Cop bridge on Blaby Road to remain open.

The bridge, which is next to Wigston Pool, is the main road between Wigston and South Wigston so we really need it to remain open.

Network Rail are considering options at the moment – from track lowering to reconstructing the bridge. I am pressing for them to do whatever it takes to minimise disruption and keep the bridge open.

They have said that whatever happens, they will keep a bridge open for foot passengers.

They are going to be doing some investigative work over the summer, as the bridge, which was built in 1901, needs some repairs anyway. Again, I am pressing them to try and minimise any disruption from this investigative work.

We have got to minimise any disruption for people in Wigston and South Wigston from this welcome investment.

Meerkat

Established Member
Neil O’Brien, the MP for South Leicestershire, posted this, this morning, regarding the urge to keep Spion Cop Bridge in Wigston open, when bridge works take place -
Looking at a map I can see why shutting that bridge for any more than a weekend might cause absolute chaos!

InTheEastMids

Looking at a map I can see why shutting that bridge for any more than a weekend might cause absolute chaos!
An issue which NWR are surely going to be aware of, and have factored into their planning.

I am utterly cynical, and note that NO'B is going to be seeking re-election before the end of the year, so will of course be tempted to run around trying to show what an incredible constituency MP he undoubtedly is.

Putting 2 and 2 together, I expect that NWR's works will be designed/carried out to be a lot less disruptive than the multi-month closure of rural bridges further South. NO'B will claim this as a great personal victory for his constituents, NWR will hopefully get on with the works and everybody will be happy.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
An issue which NWR are surely going to be aware of, and have factored into their planning.

I am utterly cynical, and note that NO'B is going to be seeking re-election before the end of the year, so will of course be tempted to run around trying to show what an incredible constituency MP he undoubtedly is.

Putting 2 and 2 together, I expect that NWR's works will be designed/carried out to be a lot less disruptive than the multi-month closure of rural bridges further South. NO'B will claim this as a great personal victory for his constituents, NWR will hopefully get on with the works and everybody will be happy.
To be fair, it’s the type of local issue that you expect a good MP to deal with and represent their constituents in dealing with a big corporate entity doing something that will affect them.

So he’s doing his job. The fact that it’s in the run up to an election should have nothing to do with it.

CdBrux

To be fair, it’s the type of local issue that you expect a good MP to deal with and represent their constituents in dealing with a big corporate entity doing something that will affect them.

So he’s doing his job. The fact that it’s in the run up to an election should have nothing to do with it.
Exactly. Especially as you could be sure his political opponents would be talking about it and asking why he wasn't doing more, presumably to equal cynical criticism ...

59CosG95

Established Member
Not sure if anyone's been aware of this, but the electrified Up Siding at Wellingborough has been PES'd (turned into a Permanently Earthed Section) since at least 27/05/2023 (as far as the isolation diagrams are concerned), possibly since the wires went up.

jthjth

Yes, he is doing his job. NWR haven’t exactly covered themselves in glory with the two rural bridges further south - the Newton Lane one still not open. The idea that NWR will be carefully planning the Spion Kop bridge works to minimise disruption would be met with great skepticism in the locality.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Not sure if anyone's been aware of this, but the electrified Up Siding at Wellingborough has been PES'd (turned into a Permanently Earthed Section) since at least 27/05/2023 (as far as the isolation diagrams are concerned), possibly since the wires went up.
Is this where they were trialling some moveable OLE?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Not exactly - that was undertaken in one of the sidings proper, with no physical connection to the conventional OLE.

But yes, right (general) location.
Out of interest, do you know what the results of that trial are? Particularly is it considered suitable for further rollout on freight terminals? I think the Azuma depots (or at least one of them) also have a moveable OLE section for access to the roof.

59CosG95

Established Member
Out of interest, do you know what the results of that trial are? Particularly is it considered suitable for further rollout on freight terminals? I think the Azuma depots (or at least one of them) also have a moveable OLE section for access to the roof.
I haven't heard any more since the trial - IIRC all the Azuma Depots, along with Temple Mills, are so equipped.

hwl

Established Member
It was an innovate UK funded trial largely promoted by F+F and GBRf then went and ordered the 99s somewhat removing this issue directly for them.

So what actually was the reason behind electrifying that one road in those sidings at Wellingborough? Was there some idea about electric aggregates trains? Also my Quailmap from October 2022 says that line was earthed back then so I think it's always been like that.

59CosG95

Established Member
So what actually was the reason behind electrifying that one road in those sidings at Wellingborough? Was there some idea about electric aggregates trains? Also my Quailmap from October 2022 says that line was earthed back then so I think it's always been like that.
Most likely something to do with a crossover overrun or future proofing.

In possession related news today, I managed to get a look-in on the works from Kettering to Kibworth.
The 'portable gatehouse' is still in place on the byway leading to Kettering North SATS from the road, so I didn't see what was going on there, but I did see that track lowering work was going on in Desborough, around the Pipewell Rd Bridge (SPC3-40).

Works were also underway at Braybrooke...
Photos to follow.

59CosG95

Established Member
Images from yesterday around Desborough (IMG_1204, 1206 & 1213) and Braybrooke (IMG_1222).

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpg
    997.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1206.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1222.jpg
    979.4 KB · Views: 186