Mobile phone charging weird behaviour

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mawallace, 25 Aug 2019.

1. mawallace

mawallace Member

I travelled from London Waterloo to Eastleigh on a South West train.

I plugged the charger in at Waterloo and phone started charging correctly. I noticed phone became very hot and my battery charge was dropping later on in the journey. Looking at the phone logs it looks like something weird happened after the train passed Clapham Junction which caused issues with the charger.

Is it a known issue. Odd to see power dropping when status says on fast charge

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Was it a power point outlet designated for public use or one not intended for public use?

4. mawallace

mawallace Member

It was for public use. Sticker said for laptop chargers only one by each seat

5. [.n]

[.n] Member

On some phones I have had there are some apps that when used a) cause my phone to run hot and b) depending on the power being supplied to the charger to deplete the battery raster than it is being replenished. I have noticed this happen to me on SWT/SWR trains

6. Meerkat

Meerkat Established Member

I charged my iPhone on HS1 the other week and for days afterwards it kept randomly restarting (the phone, not the train!). Coincidence or is it a known issue?

7. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

Happens with a number of trains, often due to poor earthing abd more common with cheap chargers.

A number of people have had similar issues:
    https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/iphone-touchscreens-on-class-800-801.186680/