• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modern or Old?

What types of rolling stock in your opinion are better

• Modern (basically stuff built after privitisation like voyagers)

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Older stock (anything before privitisation like tractors, duffs, 156s...

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • To be honest, I don't really care

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Being a bunch of rail enthusiasts, I'm sure we all prefer the nice shiny units delivering us comfortably and efficiently to our destinations rather than some tatty old LHCS with no working heating and a loco on the front that is sure to fail before the end of the day.

plikma

Being a bunch of rail enthusiasts, I'm sure we all prefer the nice shiny units delivering us comfortably and efficiently to our destinations rather than some tatty old LHCS with no working heating and a loco on the front that is sure to fail before the end of the day.

Oddly enough, that quote could be quite easily construed as supporting either side of the discussion… Voyageurs had major reliability disadvantages over HSTs when they were first introduced, perhaps it's not quite so bad now?

me123

Established Member
Going with the minority here... I like modern stuff. I find a lot of modern units more comfy than the older ones (at least in the SPT area) and a darnsight more interseting (compare 334s to 318s). Not that anything can replace the HST, the 37 or the steam trains, but the future is here, and I for one like it!

(Forgive the cheesy ending)

Nathan

Older stuff... but going older still, im thinking Standards, Bullieds transistion stuff so first gen diesels too :D

Established Member
'Older Stuff' for me, can't beat the racket of an EE engine hard at work 8)

Nym

Established Member
Some new stuff might be very nice, but I havn't seen any of the nice new stuff, the turbostars are too noisy and not comfy enough (or large enough) for my likeing, the new Dessies up ere have crape seats which feel like hardboard, although I do like the irony that the soundproof barriers in 1st class just bounce the noise of the engine and exhaust (which is in the 1st class section) around in there, so it's rather loud in there compared to the open 2nd class section, I love sweet sweet revenge :), thats their only plus, the're also not big enough, need another 2nd class carrage, possibly with a shop on it instead of that crappy trolley! Been on a supervomiter once, hated it, felt ill, had to get off at Lancaster, Only got on at Oxenhome to go to Manchester, changed onto a dessie from Barrow in Furnace. The pindos feel like flying when they tilt round corners, and I erm, don't like flying, next time I think I'll get a LM S/F Service and change at crewe if I'm not in a rush, aparently they have nice seats. Never been on a 333 so don't know about them. and the 222s are HORID! However, I liked the HST (GNER) comfy and quick and quiet! and the Mk.4 sets that I was on. And my back never hurt after long journeys on 156s and 158s, even milk trains (pacers) are more comfy to travel on than the 222, because you can see out the windows!

Rant over!

Thought I should make my 100th post worth it :)

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I've put modern, but that's more in relation to foreign units than UK ones. Although Heathrow Express & Desiros are good and Pendolinos would be good if not for the tiny windows

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Older stuff.It was great when all those 24/25s and being behind class 45s in the late 70's on my trips to Derby and return.Also I have a fond memory of being behind 55007 Needles and Pinza on the way to York in 1979.Also the Stratford silver roofed class 47 legends.:razz:

P156KWJ

Established Member
saw 37601 in new DRS livery today, looks mint, cos they kept it well, but it doesn't clag or sound like a decent tractor any more :(

Established Member
saw 37601 in new DRS livery today, looks mint, cos they kept it well, but it doesn't clag or sound like a decent tractor any more :(

Never did, it's a crock, not real dude, now when it was 005....

Although on that point didnt think 601 had emerged from the Brush builders, sure it wasn't 610 (ex 181) ??? 8-)

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Really, as a passenger, I like it to be comfortable, and as an enthusiast interesting and different. In both cases this tends to go towards the older stuff, since I find older trains are often more comfortable, in terms of seats and even ride quality, plus just overall ambience (warmer feel, more subtle lighting, no annoying and loud autoannoucements, no annoying beeps, no loud drone of the air conditioning, and the latter not being either too hot or too cold all the time), older trains are usually more interesting, particularly in terms of EMUs. Again, the fact that slam door and loco hauled trains have been very rare in this area for a long time, particularly on my regular routes (the last of my regular routes with loco haulage lost it in the early 90s, and slammers have always been rare even from my early days, just the odd 117 that Central had), makes them more interesting, and more likable, and slam door and loco hauled = old. So in general, I would tend to go for older stock, and that's from the point of view of a passenger aswell as an enthusiast. Now, if someone would build some modern trains that I thought were as comfortable and had the ambience of older ones, I might change my mind.

Established Member
Never did, it's a crock, not real dude, now when it was 005....

Although on that point didnt think 601 had emerged from the Brush builders, sure it wasn't 610 (ex 181) ??? 8-)
So you don't rate 37/4s as they are bent/crock refurbished as well by extension then despite the username?! ;)

Established Member
So you don't rate 37/4s as they are bent/crock refurbished as well by extension then despite the username?! ;)

No, i do 0's (real t's) 3's with CP7's underneath, 4's as they are hell and I spent years playing on them up the coast, on the Weymouths, Rymney Valley, Fishguards and Fort Bill. 5's are okay and make quite a bit of racket, 6's are a no go zone, don't rate at all! 7's, yeah heavyweight never hurt anyone. So to be honest it's just 6's I don't like, and 38's and 39's 8-)

Bonemaster

Old stuff anyday give me an EPB over a networker, never had the same bounce when you sat down, modern stock is a bit more bouncy though

Tom C

Old, defiantely

New stock are far more uncomfortable than stock of years gone by and from an enthusiasts perspective are just plain boring!

The only time I ever go on trains now is when I am at work or need to get somewhere rather than just going to enjoy the train journey.

me123

Established Member
^ My thoughts exactly. Yes, we all love HSTs and a majority seem to hate Pendos, but remember that in 10-20 years, HSTs will be in the history books, and Pendos (hopefully) will still be running.

O L Leigh

Established Member
BR era stuff is nice from a traincrew viewpoint. They may not have all the nicest or most up-to-date cabs, but you get none of this "computer says no" nonsense that seems to blight some of the newer trains. If you get a fault you can normally bodge a way around it to get yourself moving again. 7 bar on the main res and a line light are all you need to put you in clover. Smashing.

one TN

Gizmogle

Established Member
Old stuff.

Even though I've not been around that long, I'd prefer some good old locos anyday.

They actually have something to them. The noise, the smell. They're monstorous buggers.

But now we're stuck with these uncomfortable, silent plastic things.

Blah. I guess we're gonna have to get used to it though.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I went with modern stuff, but my hardcore favourite stock is (and always will be - everything else will come and go but I love this lot the most):

HSTs (obviously best with Valentas, my favourite being 002. RIP GW Valentas)
37s (the closer to original the better, 203 being my all-time favourite)
Westerns (nothing quite like it! D1013 ROCKS!)
158s (170s can bugger off, 158s ROCK, my pet being 825)
Voyagers (221s ROCK, my pet being 137)

I like most things to some extent, but the above is my core lot. Of which of course I like Valenta-fitted HSTs the most.

I do like the modern stuff though. But nothing will beat a 37. So why'd I vote 'modern stuff'? Because I mis-read the poll answers mainly.

theblackwatch

Established Member
^ My thoughts exactly. Yes, we all love HSTs and a majority seem to hate Pendos, but remember that in 10-20 years, HSTs will be in the history books, and Pendos (hopefully) will still be running.

I remember when HSTs were new, and at an occasion of Crewe Works Open Day in around 1983, an HST came in to the station on a Cross Country working (at the time there were only around 2 sets in use on XC routes in the north west, the remainder all being concentrated on NE-SW services). Hondreds of people cried out 'boo' as this HST arrived!

Although I've always enjoyed the old stuff, I do have to admit a lot of the rolling stock was past it - it would be hard to deny, for example, that a 171 does not offer a better passenger environment than the 'Thumpers', or a 323 an improvement over a 304 (where if you sat above the bogie, the seats were almost like a trampoline!). I'm not convinced a Voyager offers much improvement over an HST though.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Prefer older stock obviously... HSTS, 158's, I do have a soft spot for 153's as well lol.
37's are a good shout as well, 47's not bad either. Nothing beats mk3 coaching stock really.

The only modern stock I really seem to like are 175's because they keep up with the timetable shockingly well... I went on them several times, and not only were they stupidly early arriving at the station I joined at, but stupidly early at my departure station as well. Cardiff - Newport in 11mins during rush hour is a good record I have to say!

Respite

Modern rolling stock is a joke, our 175's are falling apart all ready & thats with Alstom service rather than the use of Canton tape. The same is happening with Vulgars & Pendodildo's. Class 66's are rusting away from the inside, well the bits that are not already cracked from stress fractures. The same way as modern cars are meant to be throw away items after a short life, its now the same on the railways. My experience only includes directly 175's but many friends scattered about the fragmented rail system report the same facts of their vulgars,dildo's & sheds. We have units now that fail due to Bill gates type problems........"You were doing 100mph but the TMS has encountered a problem & needs to restart" Emergency brake application automatically, 5 minutes later TMS reboots. I spend more time reading the intrusive TMS failure reports than looking where I'm going due to their persistant beeping. Thankfully there is a place to escape this f**cked up world of modern rolling stock & I'm off there ASAP......DRS.

Oh & another thing, you cant flail from the cab of a 175.......useless junk!;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's actually nice to see people being interested in new stock though.We have to move on.

No we dont! :razz: ;) DRS again.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
. Cardiff - Newport in 11mins during rush hour is a good record I have to say!

They allowed us to use HST speeds now with 175's, even though the timetable is set for MU speed. That would be why.

Status
Not open for further replies.