• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moral Quandary

Keep or return the £25?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

416GSi

Hi Everyone, I want your opinion on something.

Back in 2020 I was delayed by Trans Pennine Express (TPE) by more than an hour between Stockport and Sheffield.
I raised a delay repay request, which they rejected, as they claimed that Transport for Wales (TfW) were responsible for the delay.
The whole journey was from South Wales to Sheffield, TfW were on time, and it was TPE who was at fault.
TPE say that they would refer my claim to TfW, but given it was TPE who were responsible for the delay, I appealed and finally got the correct compensation from TPE.

Fast-forward to be beginning of this week, and TPE have just sent me £25 in compensation for not forwarding my claim to TfW, despite the fact that they shouldn't have forwarded in the first place, and they have already paid compensation.

The question is what do I do? Morally this is not my money, but given that TPE have messed my around many times rejecting valid delay repay claims is there an argument for keeping it?

Thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hi Everyone, I want your opinion on something.

Back in 2020 I was delayed by Trans Pennine Express (TPE) by more than an hour between Stockport and Sheffield.
I raised a delay repay request, which they rejected, as they claimed that Transport for Wales (TfW) were responsible for the delay.
The whole journey was from South Wales to Sheffield, TfW were on time, and it was TPE who was at fault.
TPE say that they would refer my claim to TfW, but given it was TPE who were responsible for the delay, I appealed and finally got the correct compensation from TPE.

Fast-forward to be beginning of this week, and TPE have just sent me £25 in compensation for not forwarding my claim to TfW, despite the fact that they shouldn't have forwarded in the first place, and they have already paid compensation.

The question is what do I do? Morally this is not my money, but given that TPE have messed my around many times rejecting valid delay repay claims is there an argument for keeping it?

Thoughts?
If you are uncomfortable keeping it, then give it to charity.

I think, given the way TPE messed you around, any moral claim they had to it went long ago!

zero

Have you been in a situation where you feel that morally you should have received compensation to a value of £25 or more, due to being inconvenienced, but the rules meant that nothing was payable?

If so then keep it.

Another option is to not claim in the future until you have reached £25.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I appealed and finally got the correct compensation from TPE.

Fast-forward to be beginning of this week, and TPE have just sent me £25 in compensation for not forwarding my claim to TfW
Have they sent you two lots of Delay Repay or one lot of Delay Repay and one lot of compensation for messing you about?

Problematically, now you have told the world, you cannot claim to be unaware of the mistake. If you are a frequent receiver of Delay Repay payments you could easily have claimed that you didn't realise that they had paid you twice for the same event. If it were £1m appearing in your bank account you cannot claim you didn't notice (assuming you're not a secret billionaire) but £25 is easily overlooked.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Spend it on a leisure train trip - so you get to enjoy a nice day out and return it to the industry.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The question is what do I do? Morally this is not my money,

Why is there a moral quandary ? If TPE paid you out correctly on appeal then whatever delay repay you were paid; you were entitled to. If TPE has, for some reason, decided that they were at fault and you should be compensated accordingly; then again, you are entitled to that payment.

If you are somehow feeling guilty about receiving payment and that you ave already decided that the matter was settled then why not 'pay it forward' ? Paying it forward is based on the concept of not needing to be 'paid back' in the traditional sense and the person who owes the debt pays it on to someone else instead. A little kindness, paid forward, slowly makes the world a little happier.

A great *film, and a great way to make a difference.

*I haven't read the book

kristiang85

Established Member
I had two payments of £10 from SWR for this very reason too. Yes I got those DR claims paid, but when I add together the tens of times I've had 5-14m delays from SWR that are obviously unpaid, that is a lot more than £20.

No moral quandry for me.

wellhouse

This is not Delay Repay Compensation; it is Compensation for mishandling a Delay Repay Claim.

In the past I have received additional Compensation more than once for mishandled claims in addition to the correct Delay Repay Compensation.

On other occasions I have received Compensation greater than the minimum specified (Northern, for example, have often provided vouchers for a Day Return anywhere on their Network, which can have a far greater value than the original fare paid)

If you receive such a goodwill payment in addition to Delay Repay, feel free to dispose of it as you wish, but please do not discourage TOCs from continuing the practice.

Bluejays

They messed up, messed you around. Now you have £25. Take it buddy, no moral question at all.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I think I would keep it - if they or TfW have an audit process that means you get asked for it back you can then pay it as desired / required. Tho I suspect the best answer is post #11 from @wellhouse

Steddenm

A while ago both LNR and Avanti paid by delay repay claim twice on different delays.

The LNR one was for £4.70 and Avanti for £6.10.

I contacted both LNR and Avanti and they said that sometimes the system will make a duplicate payment and not to worry about it.

The £10.80 over was donated to charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.