• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More GWR Green HSTs on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master29

Established Member
As everyone (except me) seems to have seen 43187 and 188 I am wondering if anyone knows whether this is a one off for GWR HST`s or are further re sprays on the cards bearing in mind they`ll be gone in around 3 years?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As everyone (except me) seems to have seen 43187 and 188 I am wondering if anyone knows whether this is a one off for GWR HST`s or are further re sprays on the cards bearing in mind they`ll be gone in around 3 years?

There have been posts in a few forums suggesting no more will be done, but I don't think that is 100% guaranteed. It does seem that the one set was purely for launch day marketing purposes.

59CosG95

Established Member
There have been posts in a few forums suggesting no more will be done, but I don't think that is 100% guaranteed. It does seem that the one set was purely for launch day marketing purposes.

Of course, if you want a concrete answer, asking gWr on twitter may be on the cards...
They may of course just spray them in house at OOC or Laira.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A perfect answer. Thanks guys.

Yet the twitter answer is completely different to a recent post in the GW Coffee Shop forum, where someone posts (from info received last night) that stock going off lease before the end of the franchise will not be repainted.

It is also known, now that the West of England AT300 option has been confirmed, that ALL the HSTs will be off lease by Feb 2019, before the end of the direct award franchise.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Well for me, I think they look superb in the new GWR green, but I also like them in the current blue so would be happy with either livery.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Well for me, I think they look superb in the new GWR green, but I also like them in the current blue so would be happy with either livery.
I agree, the blue does still look quite smart on the HSTs. If they're not going to greenify the HSTs, are they at least going to drop the FGW branding on them though and replace with the new GWR logo? Also, any news on whether/when the Sprinters and Pacers are going to be GWR'd?

59CosG95

Established Member
Also, any news on whether/when the Sprinters and Pacers are going to be GWR'd?
The Pacers will go off-lease (scrap most likely); the 150/0s and 150/1s will also leave the franchise (and will most likely go to Northern). The 150/2s and 158s will receive the gWr livery, as will the 165s, 166s 365s and 387s in the cascade.

Established Member
The Pacers will go off-lease (scrap most likely); the 150/0s and 150/1s will also leave the franchise (and will most likely go to Northern). The 150/2s and 158s will receive the gWr livery, as will the 165s, 166s 365s and 387s in the cascade.

The 153s are also leaving us I believe.

455driver

Veteran Member

The 150/0s are going to Exeter, the maintenance staff are really looking forward to getting them! :lol:

Not!

Master29

Established Member
The green looks better on the GWR HST`s. It would be nice as a one off to see one set in the original inter city blue grey they first had in 76.

fgwrich

Established Member
The 150/0s are going to Exeter, the maintenance staff are really looking forward to getting them! :lol:

Not!

Timescales dependent of course! Although I gather 001 has at least now been earmarked for Pres by the NRM (Good!) and has been talk of a heritage repaint for it's future at some point!

It's 002 that's always been the dog of the two!

455driver

Veteran Member
Timescales dependent of course! Although I gather 001 has at least now been earmarked for Pres by the NRM (Good!) and has been talk of a heritage repaint for it's future at some point!

It's 002 that's always been the dog of the two!

So why is it always 002 which gets sent down here when we need it, Okay 001 has much smaller fuel tanks but that wouldn't make that much difference!

fgwrich

Established Member
So why is it always 002 which gets sent down here when we need it, Okay 001 has much smaller fuel tanks but that wouldn't make that much difference!

I'm not sure in all honesty - Either the fuel tank issue or Reading wants to get rid, sorry provide it with a Holiday every now and again. I thought the Fuel Tank issue had been sorted when the pair had a trip to Brush Loughborough a while back? But 002 was the most rebuilt of the two and over the years was always the more non standard one, so at a guess that's why it's reliability has been a little lower. That said, both seem to be fairly strong performers at the moment on the branch!

(I've probably jinxed that now!)

RPM

Established Member
If the current green HST set does turn out to be the only one so treated, I wonder how long they will be able to keep it together as a set, without odd blue vehicles appearing within the formation?

TEW

Established Member
The coach formations don't normally change much, the odd vehicle might get replaced with a spare vehicle from time to time, but they go back to booked formation fairly quickly. The powercars obviously change around all the time though.

455driver

Veteran Member
The coach formations don't normally change much, the odd vehicle might get replaced with a spare vehicle from time to time, but they go back to booked formation fairly quickly. The powercars obviously change around all the time though.

You would be surprised how often the coaches get swapped out of sets, they don't always get put back in their proper set straight away either.

Parallel

Established Member
I hope the GWR 143s don't end up for scrap just yet. It would make sense for them to head to either ATW or Northern to replace the worst of the 142 units. (Maybe Arriva as Northern don't have any 143s). They look decent internally, and well maintained.

If they are kept longer on short term lease due to a delay in cascaded stock (Could happen, GWR will be strapped if they lose 8 units with nothing to replace them), I could see them receiving temporary branding, even if it's just covering up "First Great Western" on the outside with "GWR". It would help as well whilst the units that are being kept 'long term' are away to be refurbished.

fgwrich

Established Member
If the current green HST set does turn out to be the only one so treated, I wonder how long they will be able to keep it together as a set, without odd blue vehicles appearing within the formation?

It has already, albeit for a very brief stretch of time ran with a Blue Dynamic Lines TS in it. I believe it was spotted on a weekend a few weeks ago, but this being the GWR set the offending TS was repaired fairly quickly and things returned to normal. Although somehow I don't think it'll be long before a Blue Mk3 or PC makes it onto the set at some point in the future either - what do you do, cripple an entire HST set because an effected vehicle is out and the spare doesn't match rest of the rake or swap a coach or PC over when and where needs?

RPM

Established Member
what do you do, cripple an entire HST set because an effected vehicle is out and the spare doesn't match rest of the rake or swap a coach or PC over when and where needs?

Neither. I'd not bother trying to relivery a single HST set. :)

455driver

Veteran Member
It has already, albeit for a very brief stretch of time ran with a Blue Dynamic Lines TS in it. I believe it was spotted on a weekend a few weeks ago, but this being the GWR set the offending TS was repaired fairly quickly and things returned to normal. Although somehow I don't think it'll be long before a Blue Mk3 or PC makes it onto the set at some point in the future either - what do you do, cripple an entire HST set because an effected vehicle is out and the spare doesn't match rest of the rake or swap a coach or PC over when and where needs?

A blue TS was inserted at Laira but it never ran in service, the offending coach was repaired and re-inserted before entry to service.

I have not heard of it running in service with a blue coach, yet.

83G/84D

Established Member
The green HST was in trouble earlier today when it was working a Penzance - Paddington service. Apparently it stopped on the Royal Albert bridge at Saltash with a fault light showing on 43188.

The service continued to Plymouth after a delay and was terminated.

iantherev

The green HST was in trouble earlier today when it was working a Penzance - Paddington service. Apparently it stopped on the Royal Albert bridge at Saltash with a fault light showing on 43188.

The service continued to Plymouth after a delay and was terminated.

As in put out of its misery?:D

Master29

Established Member
Typical. Missed it again then. I saw that earlier on railcam. It said it was a traction motor fault

Status
Not open for further replies.