• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More HSTs & 150 Units for Skegness this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Multiple Unit

It is belived that EMT are to add another two HST Diagrams on to there Skegness Service this plus Loaning some three car 150 Units form London Midland as aprantly LMs 172 Units are due to enter service close to the start of the Summer Season.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daimler

Established Member
It is belived that EMT are to add another two HST Diagrams on to there Skegness Service this plus Loaning some three car 150 Units form London Midland as aprantly LMs 172 Units are due to enter service close to the start of the Summer Season.

Really? They'll have to be doing!

The Planner

Veteran Member
LM arent getting any units before August/September and even then they will be on milage runs and not public service.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I guess the track work to let the HST's travel at a decent speed has now been completed? There have been a lot of closures in the past year, I guess that is for that work to be completed.

Bellwater

The only DMUs EMT are getting are 4x156s from Northern. yes, you heard it correctly, Northern. :o

150s aren't going to happen at the moment, not enough time to run numerous Traction courses on them.

Multiple Unit

I think the Majority of Staff at EMT Nottingham will only need a refrshment brefing on the 150s as don't forget they have been hired to East croft Before when it was Central Trains and theres not a great deal of Difference between a 150 & a 156.

tbtc

Veteran Member
The only DMUs EMT are getting are 4x156s from Northern. yes, you heard it correctly, Northern. :o

Surely the 156s are only going from Northern to East Midland when the LM 172s arrive, cascading the 150s to First Great Western/ Northern (with Pacers from FGW then coming to Northern), meaning it'll be another year minimum until the 156s are in the east midlands?

Good for EMT to add all the capacity of an HST to the Skeg line. Like with the Lincoln market and last summer in Skeg, they do seem to be trying to tailor supply with demand and making the effort; its a shame they have such little spare stock to use

Failed Unit

Established Member
Surely the 156s are only going from Northern to East Midland when the LM 172s arrive, cascading the 150s to First Great Western/ Northern (with Pacers from FGW then coming to Northern), meaning it'll be another year minimum until the 156s are in the east midlands?

Correct, Nice treat for passengers to get HST treatment.

Thinking about it however, if they were going to hire units from LM, why not go for the 153's?

Established Member
Now that all the trackwork is complete/almost complete, does it mean that the HST's will be able to go a faster?

Subject to whether there's a local service occupying any of the signalling blocks/single track sections ahead.

First class

Established Member
But is there?

They look similar when you see them separately, butwhen you see them together you can see how different they look (for one thing, a 2 car 156 is about 23' longer than a 2 car 150).

So how different actually are they?

Compare a 150/2 and a 156 and it becomes increasingly difficult to tell any real difference between the two.

mumrar

Established Member
Yeah, I couldn't find a photo of them side by side, but even then, they're still visibly different.

The differences in operation and controls etc. is what staff will need retraining on, they don't just need to know what the difference between the two units appearances are. EMT came in to being Nov 2007, nearly three years now, that's too long for just refreshers, becuase they'll have had new staff since then too who never worked on 150s before. LMs 172s are heavily delayed, Derby just started on London Overgrounds order, so I'd be surprised to see one in service at all before 2011.

MCR247

Established Member
But is there?

They look similar when you see them separately, butwhen you see them together you can see how different they look (for one thing, a 2 car 156 is about 23' longer than a 2 car 150).

So how different actually are they?

Is it just me or are those trains going the wrong way?

Established Member
The differences in operation and controls etc. is what staff will need retraining on, they don't just need to know what the difference between the two units appearances are.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, though that would certainly make an interesting railway for sure :lol:
I was just meaning that they're not the same, even visually, despite how similar they look when you see them separately.
I'm not aware of the differences on the controls and things are, so didn't make a comment on them.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Scotrails 156's are also permitted to run 6 cars maximum in passenger service, though may run up to 12 cars empty coaching stock. Scotrail were given special dispensation to run a 10 or maybe it was a 12 car, I cannot remember, from dumfries to glasgow central a few years ago as a supporters special for Queen of the South's cup final appearance at Hampden.

Last edited:

mumrar

Established Member
All sprinter units are subject to a limit of 12 vehicles or 12 driving cabs, which is why you could only run 6x153 together. The most I've ever run on a normal timetabled service was 11, on the 05:30 New St-Cardiff in Central Trains days. You left New St (via Camp Hill) with 4 units, 2 of which dropped off at Shrub Hill, the other then detached at Gloucester, before I continued all stops to Cardiff. It was an eventful diagram most days.

Kneedown

Established Member
All sprinter units are subject to a limit of 12 vehicles or 12 driving cabs, which is why you could only run 6x153 together. The most I've ever run on a normal timetabled service was 11,

Thats what we were told as well, but we were advised to think of circuit breaker boards rather than cabs, as the centre car of a 3 car 170 counts although it has no cab.

Multiple Unit

With reagrd to there not being much diffence between 156 units and 150 units as faras I know the only major differnce is the Body Work the Engines are the Same plus all the Driving Controls are relativley the same as are on the Majority of BR Multiple Unit Stock in udsse today from what I have seen anyway.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
The standardsisation goes back to the 1st generation DMUs. They were built by many different manufacturers yet had basically the same controls, same engines (a choice of 2 main ones), same gearboxes (with a few variations), same vacume brake, and in most cases the same multiple control system and therefore compatability.

The 15X series all use the same Cummins NTA855 engines, with the exception of some 158s which have Perkins engines. They all have Voith T211 transmissions, which are also found on the Pacers, 16X series, Turbostars (although not the 172s) and 175s. The basic control layout is the same on all of them. They are all compatable for multiple working, and 15X series can work with 14X series (Pacers) and 170s.

Status
Not open for further replies.