• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More loco hauled trains for FGW

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony263

Established Member
Just read in my copy of Rail magazine which i purchased this morning that First Great Western are planning on introducing loco hauled trains between Taunton & Cardiff to replace some DMU'S.

they are stll awaiting approval from the DFT, but proposed timings are:

07:29 Taunton - Bristol Parkway
09:13 Bristol Parkway - Taunton
11:05 Taunton - Cardiff Central
14:00 Cardiff Central - Taunton
16:15 Taunton - Cardiff Central
19:00 Cardiff Central - Taunton

Expected to use Class 67's and mark 2 stock coaches, although a Class 57 may be used if this goes ahead which i hope it will.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Still awaiting approval?! If so the DafT are cutting it fine...

Over on the WNXX forum people are saying it will definately go ahead.

Should make for a slightly more interesting run down that way, might even persuade myself to go on them for a spin or three in January.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Shouldnt be a 57, as that will scupper the paths due to the brake force issue again. It was top and tailed 67s that was planned.

Shouldnt be a 57, as that will scupper the paths due to the brake force issue again. It was top and tailed 67s that was planned.
In the longer term it is hoped that 57s can be employed, the big question though is which ones...

alex57601

In the longer term it is hoped that 57s can be employed, the big question though is which ones...

It should be 57/3s, as Virgin's requirement for them drops after the new timetable change, which has allowed Arriva to grab a few for their new Holyhead-Cardiff express services - one is being painted into Arriva colours as we speak: http://paulbigland.fotopic.net/p54975631.html

Also on top of Virgin's reduced requirement for 57/3s, Colas are to use one of their 47s for some of the log trains, meaning more 57/3s are surplus.

In the short-term at least, Virgin are going to place some in warm store and rotate locos between the stored and active fleets.

EE Type 3

Established Member
It should be 57/3s, as Virgin's requirement for them drops after the new timetable change, which has allowed Arriva to grab a few for their new Holyhead-Cardiff express services - one is being painted into Arriva colours as we speak: http://paulbigland.fotopic.net/p54975631.html

Also on top of Virgin's reduced requirement for 57/3s, Colas are to use one of their 47s for some of the log trains, meaning more 57/3s are surplus.

In the short-term at least, Virgin are going to place some in warm store and rotate locos between the stored and active fleets.

Colas will have to use more than one 47 for each log train....

The Planner

Veteran Member
Id still be suprised if FGW want 57s on them, I just cant see the existing paths working at all if they do that, slam door stock knackers up dwell times as it is.

Well regurgitated from wnxx!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Id still be suprised if FGW want 57s on them, I just cant see the existing paths working at all if they do that, slam door stock knackers up dwell times as it is.
Depending on the length of time these workings go on for, there are two theories going around...
1/ 67s onto the beds and 57s onto the shuttles (which I personally doubt as they will be crewed by EWS with FGW guards doing revenue only.)
2/ An enlarged fleet of 57s to cover the CDF-TAU diagram to include an additional loco to cover for the beds.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Im still going for 3) 67s as 57s cause a brake force issue and wont keep to the current booked paths.

Derek Riley

What I found interesting as well on WNXX was the talk of more loco hauled trains on FGW, presumably these could be 57s if there is in fact any truth in the rumours.

Anyone else heard about anything else that could be hauled in FGW territory presumably something west?

Derek

anthony263

Established Member
According to the article in rail express magazine december issue has been given the go ahead, apparantly until they receive the class 150 dmu's from london overground

TEW

Established Member
Timetable is edited accordingly.
DfT is funding the set in order to replace the 1755 Cross Country from Plymouth - Penzance which will be formed by a 150/2
Could be a 150/1.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It's certainly mentioned on the new timetable poster at Hereford.

Lots of interesting changes this time round, I'm personally happy with it this time.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Top quality fiddle on the go, kept as a pacer with increased dwells for slam doors.

Jx^

Ahem...These diagrams WILL be a 67.

Although, jumping on the 0913 will take you somewhere else, but then leave you there ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.